• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did they remove gender in Animal Crossing: New Horizons only in the USA localization?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
brap brap weird question to ask tbh, are you playing the game? HAVE YOU JOINED NINTENDO GAF?

No but seriously, to answer your question, Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about what NoA does with their translations. Look at FE or Xeno or any of their translations if you want further proof. Their main market is Japan and everything else is a bonus for them.

Well, to be fair, they're just catering to their player base.

I feel like the kind of people who care about ~gender neutrality~ (you know who I'm talking about) are the same kind of people that play AC.
Also true. First and foremost this is a kids game. Sure some adults play said game. But I bet the majority of them are very concerned about gender neutrality. Yes.

Esppiral

Because English does not Differenciate gender?

As an example villager is both masculine and feminine while in many other languages like Spanish the gender is Diferenciataed, villager male - insulano, villager female- insulana.

Actually insulano is not villager but you get the point.

Virex

Banned
Because English does not Differenciate gender?

As an example villager is both masculine and feminine while in many other languages like Spanish the gender is Diferenciataed, villager male - insulano, villager female- insulana.

Actually insulano is not villager but you get the point.
Stop being such a bigot. All languages world wide will have to become non-gendered. If you don't agree.....then you sir.....are fascist

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Stop being such a bigot. All languages world wide will have to become non-gendered. If you don't agree.....then you sir.....are fascist
It is interesting they just used the U.S. localisation for the U.K. too: a better test would be to check how they translated this in other languages to see if it was just Treehouse or a choice on the Japanese side of things (not that this kind of love choice appearing in a kids game is an abominable disgusting must be censored away thing, it is way more common that the gender fluidity debate for kids to see):

TZKIyFl.jpg

brap

Banned
It is interesting they just used the U.S. localisation for the U.K. too: a better test would be to check how they translated this in other languages to see if it was just Treehouse or a choice on the Japanese side of things (not that this kind of love choice appearing in a kids game is an abominable disgusting must be censored away thing, it is way more common that the gender fluidity debate for kids to see):

TZKIyFl.jpg

Lol of course it's treehouse. Gotta eliminate gender and put gay shit in it to show how good woke burger folx xhey are.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

TZKIyFl.jpg

Can Treehouse just fuck off and die?

-Arcadia-

Banned
To elaborate a little, a kids game doesn’t need this stuff force-fed through it, and that dialogue just by itself ranks up there with the most obnoxious of Treehouse.

I’m also still irritated with the last time they tried this a few years ago, with the censorship controversy in that weeb game and Fire Emblem, as much as I don’t care about either. Guess they figured they’d give it another shot after some time passed.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
To elaborate a little, a kids game doesn’t need this stuff force-fed through it.

I’m also still irritated with the last time they tried this a few years ago, with the censorship controversy in that weeb game and Fire Emblem, as much as I don’t care about either. Guess they figured they’d give it another shot after some time passed.
What are you heckin talking about??? Lesbians are so epic and hip right now. I wish I was a good trendy lesbian gorl. They're so amazing!!! SO POWERFUL THAT A GORL LIEK ANOTHER GORL!!!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hahahahah blame fucking starbucks special undercover black project.

S.O.Y.L.E.N.C.E

Injecting all.the coffee with unhealthy amounts of female hormones.

turning everyone into giant vagoinas. 💋

-Arcadia-

Banned
What are you heckin talking about??? Lesbians are so epic and hip right now. I wish I was a good trendy lesbian gorl. They're so amazing!!! SO POWERFUL THAT A GORL LIEK ANOTHER GORL!!!

I’m half waiting for the ‘Wage/Bell Gap’ joke.

Hostile_18

Banned
I can see you Kotaku article now;

"Animal Crossing should be commended on its brave first steps on breaking down social labels"

digital haze

Neo Member
Of course they would do that. Nintendo Treehouse is obsessed with internet-culture and 'humour'; So devoid of originality they have to rely on pernicious shit like "stay hydrated". They also stick non-words into sentences without contextual sense, such as "oof" and "welp", purely to have them appear - just like many of the other brainwashed culture does online daily.
Then they have the audacity to write "customise" on the back of the box; Why localise the box if you're not going to localise the game, as if that's something we wouldn't notice.

One of the worst parts of Zelda getting voice overs is forcing the rest of the english-speaking world to suffer the Treehouse's bastardisation localisation. They really need to get back in touch with reality.

Shaqazooloo

Now that I think about it, Fire Emblem Three Houses sort of did the same thing to didn't it?

It said to select a "form" from what I recall.

Last edited:

Naibel

-Arcadia- -Arcadia- really hit the nail on the head on this one. Great post.

On a vacuum, this is eye-rolling but nothing to be upset about. And I should care even less because it's translated correctly in my own language. Why should I give a shit about 'Murica's problems ?

But we've all seen similar things popping up more and more during the last five years, and I now agree we should call out that BS loud and clear. I also know it's just a matter of time before this stupid shit gets traction in my country, thanks to the US's cultural soft power in Europe.

2/3 years ago, I would've shrugged and said it's no big deal, labelling it as just anti-SJW hysteria, but now enough is enough. I want the 2020's to be saner than the previous decade :messenger_anxious:

PocoJoe

Banned
Because on America mentally ill people roam the country like zombies. no brains and they want to bash the heads of everyone else whom have brains?

If it just "because of wording" then fine, but if it is because of some green haired cunt whom doesnt know is she/he/it is a woman, human or an alien then they should just give up making games.

Games are form of art and if politics are included in it in fear of lpgt-nazis, then the art form is ruined.

If someone gets offended by "man or woman" then they clearly are the problem and should seek help.

At least I am lucky that here on Finland we have genderless "he/she", one word for both, so we dont have to say fucking HE OR SHE OR XIR OR FIR in every damn moment to not to piss out some crazy person, and even if we would have, I would not care

Virex

Banned

TZKIyFl.jpg

Treehouse loves censorship. Want to know why Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't censored to oblivion? Because it was localised by Nintendo Europe. Treehouse is a shitstain that most likely doesn't know the difference between American English and actual English the rest of the world speaks and writes

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

It could also have been written the same in Dutch / German / Afrikaans / Flemish.

English : Choose You Villager : Male / Female
Afrikaans : Kies you dorpeling : Manlik / Vroulik

It shows that it's not gendered most of the time in German / Dutch etc.
Gendered in German. Bewohner = male villager, Bewohnerin = female villager. I mean just the fact that the words are different tells you that something is going on in regards to gender. Or what do you mean?

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Gendered in German. Bewohner = male villager, Bewohnerin = female villager. I mean just the fact that the words are different tells you that something is going on in regards to gender. Or what do you mean?
Big anime tiddies is what I mean

They think Americans are too stupid to notice gender, something other humans can relibly do over 97% of the time within a 10th of a second on other humans...

DESTROYA

I was on the fence on buying this game and this stupidity has put a stop to that, sure it’s not that big a deal but that’s not the point.

Banned
Treehouse loves censorship. Want to know why Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't censored to oblivion? Because it was localised by Nintendo Europe. Treehouse is a shitstain that most likely doesn't know the difference between American English and actual English the rest of the world speaks and writes

to be fair, anything that's localised in the US sucks ass.

look at what US TV stations did to Digimon or Dragonball.
or fucking Detective Conan, that one's hilarious because they tried to make it seem like it's set in the US by changing everybody's names into American sounding ones.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Well, I don't see that way. Most of them says villager boy/girl (albeit, every one are using a sigle word). To describe it with just one word would be silly, since villager is a gender neutral word and it would be repeated above both pictures. I don't see a problem with the choice of not using the word villager and including the boy/girl complement because it, besides pleasing (kind of, more on that later) the sjw, could even help the transition process, by excluding the work of resize the words to be correctly readed and even saving some memory. I believe that bullshit would be if they, somehow, manage to change the pictures (or include some), or somehow, including therms that are progressives (or sjw like, call the way you want). I don't see a problem in this case. The case will only be evident if there's some more problems with the game down the line. Let's wait and see...

Trimesh

Banned
Well, I don't see that way. Most of them says villager boy/girl (albeit, every one are using a sigle word). To describe it with just one word would be silly, since villager is a gender neutral word and it would be repeated above both pictures. I don't see a problem with the choice of not using the word villager and including the boy/girl complement because it, besides pleasing (kind of, more on that later) the sjw, could even help the transition process, by excluding the work of resize the words to be correctly readed and even saving some memory. I believe that bullshit would be if they, somehow, manage to change the pictures (or include some), or somehow, including therms that are progressives (or sjw like, call the way you want). I don't see a problem in this case. The case will only be evident if there's some more problems with the game down the line. Let's wait and see...

The Japanese says "Boy/Girl" - Chinese and Korean are "Male/Female" - the word for "Islander" in both Japanese and Chinese is "島民", which does not imply gender.

hunthunt

Banned
In spanish you can either select between Insulano and Insulana

Now as you may know my knowledge of english is pretty limited but im pretty sure words dont have gender

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Why is this a big deal?

Are we making it a big deal? Did Brap put out a press release? He asked a legitimate question with an obvious answer for us to discuss. This culture is so soy infused it can't even handle fundamental facts anymore, and they'd rather deny the reality which all of these other countries are able to recognize, because they're afraid of bluechecks taking them down a peg and having the industry news cycle be all about their transphobia for a week.

Top Bottom