• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Cyberpunk 2077 will likely never have a third-person mode.

DerFuggler

I've recently been replaying Witcher 3--shy two acheivements of 100%--and realized what we'll potentially gain from an exclusively first person experience versus what we had in the W3. Anyone who's played W3 (and liked it) has caught on to the effort applied to facial animations and mannerisms between Geralt and basically any other NPC. Coming straight off Fallout 4, it was a breath of fresh air but even if my perspective wasn't tinged with FO4's rugged animations of NPCs talking at me, I think I'd still have been surprised by the care taken with each interaction. Sure, there were some canned gestures in there but not nearly on the level of the AAA effort Bethesda graced us with.

And here's the point I'm trying to make: less time spent animating the protagonist's animated reactions means more time spent animating the NPC(s). Hopefully this will breathe new life into the player-NPC interactions and will make the entire game more immersive by an order of magnitude compared to W3. Thanks for reading my post and please Like, Share, subscribe, and click the bell icon. Cheers

Stuart360

Well they already said it was about immersion, and the fact the game is very vertical with a lot if indoors combat. That first developer demo thing had some very tight indoor sections. I wouldnt besurprised if they tried a 3rd person camera eraly on but couldnt get the camera to work right in the tighter indoor areas.

Stooky

they would have to make a player moveset for it to be 3rd person. It probably wouldn't look to hot if someone modded it to be 3rd person

luffie

I'm pretty sure it's due to technical difficulty in merging a decent animation with a good control for shooting. Witcher 3 ain't the best in 3rd person movement and controls. Considering how many people actually wanted 3rd person, CDproject wouldn't have ignored it if it wasn't so difficult.

Abear21

Banned
With SO many third person games I’m excited for the change in perspective, especially if we are going to be shooting lots of things!

Bummer about character customization and changing jackets, can’t see that in first person guess we’ll see it all in cutscenes, that’s really the only drawback for me.

iorek21

Not having 3rd person also means that there’s no risk that the character’s animations and controls will have as much jank as Witcher 3

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Easy, simply devs wanted to be first person, are you guys also going to question why some games are third person instead of first person?

Last edited:
Yeah, no. I'm okay with it.

What was the one game in recent memory with really good Third Person animation and body movement?

Uncharted 4 or TLOU 2.

And that took so much work to get the characters moving right.

I say im glad they decided against it, cause you know for a fact that it won't look as clean and crisp - animation wise - with CDPR and their strengths in what they do best.

If it did have ThIrd Person, I can only imagine how many people will moan and groan about how "lacking" the animations are.

Hell, I'm playing Ghosts of Tsushima and even I get a little annoyed by some of the janky animations coming fresh off from TLOU 2 - and I freshly remember how I felt the same with Witcher 3.

im not inherently opposed to first person view but they keep removing cool stuff like wall running and the katana combat looked super basic. it really isnt helping improve the game , for me at least.

anthraticus

Banned
If it has lots of guns and shooting, it's better off being 1st person anyway. 3rd person is better for melee focused combat.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Modders are gonna add third person camera after a month or less.

source.gif

I don't think it needs to.

Third person in games meant to be first person always felt clunky to me unless it has to change when in a vehicle.

Elder Scrolls is a great example of bad third person control.

Only exception is when Halo switches to third person when you pick up a mounted gun. It works for that brief moment.

K.S v2.0

Banned
It actually seems like the first person view is for more than just 'immersion'. They're also very likely using it to either lighten the load on the engine rendering wise, or using it to hide flaws in the rendering engine.

Pulling the camera back to 3P view is going to expose a lot of flaws.

Hugare

For it to work, every interaction with NPCs would have to be done with cinematic camera angles and etc like The Witcher 3

They would have to "reshoot" the whole game

Every dialogue with just a mod would look like shit

I honestly think that they made the right choice. First person is much more immersive.

I have never experienced a first person open world game immersive like this, and probably wont anytime soon.

3rd person animations are WAY better than I expected.

Usually animators focus on arms/legs because they are the visible parts during gameplay in first person, but they have animated the whole body pretty nicely

I don't think it needs to.

Third person in games meant to be first person always felt clunky to me unless it has to change when in a vehicle.

Elder Scrolls is a great example of bad third person control.

Only exception is when Halo switches to third person when you pick up a mounted gun. It works for that brief moment.

Great example

Bethesda games also "works" in 3rd person because dialogue with NPCs is stilted af

RDR 2 also features first person camera during gameplay, but that's because dialogue with NPCs is also very simplistic during gameplay. "Cinematic" interactions are limited to cutscenes.

But thats not the case with Cyberpunk. NPCs animate in "cutscene-like" quality during dialogue, especially in main missions. There's a lot of detail that would be lost in 3rd person view.

Last edited:

K.S v2.0

Banned

Usually animators focus on arms/legs because they are the visible parts during gameplay in first person, but they have animated the whole body pretty nicely

Better than expected!

Though how does it hold up in dense areas? Say... Chinatown?

Inviusx

The more I've played the more I've realised that third person would be terrible in this game. They made the right choice going FPP.

Diddy X

Yeah, from all the videos and marketing, etc. It seems the world is the protagonist here, not you.

In the witcher on the othwr hand, it's Geralt the absolute main figure of the game so there it is.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah it’s kinda crazy really. Only thing that shows it wasn’t planned is the strange curved back and odd glitch when the leg animations mess up out in the desert at one point. They even added hair physics, and swaying hips.

Azurro

Banned
Good.

Probably the best game of the year.

See Im the opposite, im 100x more attracted to a game if it's first person

I mean, fair enough, everyone likes different types of games, but I don't see the point of removing a highly configurable character that you spend time creating from view and instead just have a floating gun on screen 90% of the time. I've never enjoyed it.

Fredrik

I mean, fair enough, everyone likes different types of games, but I don't see the point of removing a highly configurable character that you spend time creating from view and instead just have a floating gun on screen 90% of the time. I've never enjoyed it.
I agree that third person is more interesting, generally speaking at least, but Cyberpunk is super immersive, like nothing I’ve ever played, and I don’t think the setpieces would’ve been nearly as cool in third person view.

RavageX

Im on the 3rd person camp. So far the game has done nothing that makes me think it needs to be absolutely in first person. I think having the option and it moving into first person for the more....tense parts would work fine. Its not really more immersive to me (first person) unless i were in vr or something.

buizel

Banned

Yeah, makes sense. I spend like an hour on character creation on ESO, No Mans Sky etc; just to play in first person. Alot of ESO is built around Costumers and Outfits styles which are next to useless to me since I don't see it much. For me it helps with immersion sometimes lol; but yeh poeople like different things. I would enjoy The Witcher if it was first person and held off playing FF XV till I could get the first person DLC lol (what a scam lol)

I hit level 27 last night. This game would not work in 3rd person. Too many stairwells, hallways, alleys. Hell even the streets are narrow.
Narrow! That is my best one word descripton of CP2077.

Top Bottom