• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Can't Valve do a patch so Portal 1 and 2 run at 60fps

Thaedolus

It is, they profit off of the lack of regulation for digital distribution platforms (unlike physical stores that are regulated and have a maximum tax/margin authorized), they make tons of money while providing a very low effort/value service compared to actual publishers and devs, also because they have a monopoly that governments also didn't regulate and see coming.

In any case, and this is the case for any investor funds or other digital platforms applying disproportionate sale taxes or low streaming payments, they are leeching off of the money of people who actually work, produce and create intrinsic value for the markets and the consumers.
Their product provides a value to publishers and consumers alike, which is why people use it. And it’s not a monopoly, people whine all the time about using other launchers on PC due to the competition.

Steam provides a value, and it’s in the position it’s in largely because it did it first and has been improving steadily over time. They deliver content for publishers and get a cut. Providing a service and receiving compensation is how the world operates.

.Pennywise

Banned
They run at 120fps just fine over here, don't know what you talking about

EDIT: oh, consoles, haha!

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That is exactly what they are trying to do.

Windows compatibility is neat though and gets more skeptical people on board.
When Windows 8 released 10 years ago and introduced the Microsoft store Gaben freaked out. Microsoft talking about selling PC and mobile games scared Gaben into believing that Microsoft would pull an Apple and close Windows to competing storefronts like Steam and force developers to release everything through the Microsoft store. So he doubled down on Linux and started working on SteamOS to protect his business model. Obviously Microsoft never limited software distribution and Windows stayed open. When SteamOS released the following year it could only play Linux games so PC gamers resoundingly avoided it aside from a few Gaben true believers.

Since then Valve have continued to invest in Linux/SteamOS, the primary applications being for Steam Machines and Steam Deck. But that's more of a differentiator to push their hardware business model than getting away from Microsoft. Without SteamOS a Steam Machine was just another PC. Without SteamOS the Steam Deck is just another handheld gaming PC. Without SteamOS and Proton to run Steam Deck Valve would have to pay to license Windows for their hardware because there would literally be no other choice. That would increase their licensing costs and probably increase the price of Steam Deck. But in their promotional interviews with media outlets Valve has confirmed that users can bring their own copy of Windows to Steam Deck if that's what they prefer. They chose to support Windows because they know that's what most of their customers want.

Valve trying to insulate themselves from a very obvious, business critical dependency on Windows could be seen as Valve trying to get away from Microsoft I guess. But as long as the lion's share of PC games are made for Windows Valve will always depend on Microsoft Windows in one way or another. None of which has anything to do with a handful of Xbox 360 games that Valve happily released on a Microsoft storefront years ago. So it wouldn't hurt them to patch in some 60 FPS goodness to Orange Box and the other Portal games.

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I played either but I could’ve swore the first game (or at least the XBLA Still Alive edition) was 60fps.

Either way it’s a puzzle game; 60fps isn’t a must imo.

Dane

Go figure out, i'm pretty sure Source was coded to handle even over 600 FPS, unless they capped the FPS so hard into the code on the Xbox 360 version, the FPS boost would work so fine that even 120 FPS could be achieved.

sncvsrtoip

lul wut? I play this game at like 200fps. It's fast movement of course you want as much frames as possible.
im only ending chapter 2 but for now its same as portal 1, so basicaly logic game with some interesting narration, can't see 60 or 200fps that important here ;d

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
MS literally develops a Linux virtual machine that runs flawlessly on Windows. With GUI support.

lol at this forum, everyone here is still living in the 90s.
I use WSL2 every day. MS was forced to adopt it because 90% of servers are running linux.

When Windows 8 released 10 years ago and introduced the Microsoft store Gaben freaked out. Microsoft talking about selling PC and mobile games scared Gaben into believing that Microsoft would pull an Apple and close Windows to competing storefronts like Steam and force developers to release everything through the Microsoft store. So he doubled down on Linux and started working on SteamOS to protect his business model. Obviously Microsoft never limited software distribution and Windows stayed open. When SteamOS released the following year it could only play Linux games so PC gamers resoundingly avoided it aside from a few Gaben true believers.

Since then Valve have continued to invest in Linux/SteamOS, the primary applications being for Steam Machines and Steam Deck. But that's more of a differentiator to push their hardware business model than getting away from Microsoft. Without SteamOS a Steam Machine was just another PC. Without SteamOS the Steam Deck is just another handheld gaming PC. Without SteamOS and Proton to run Steam Deck Valve would have to pay to license Windows for their hardware because there would literally be no other choice. That would increase their licensing costs and probably increase the price of Steam Deck. But in their promotional interviews with media outlets Valve has confirmed that users can bring their own copy of Windows to Steam Deck if that's what they prefer. They chose to support Windows because they know that's what most of their customers want.

Valve trying to insulate themselves from a very obvious, business critical dependency on Windows could be seen as Valve trying to get away from Microsoft I guess. But as long as the lion's share of PC games are made for Windows Valve will always depend on Microsoft Windows in one way or another. None of which has anything to do with a handful of Xbox 360 games that Valve happily released on a Microsoft storefront years ago. So it wouldn't hurt them to patch in some 60 FPS goodness to Orange Box and the other Portal games.
People have been saying "the year of Linux" for 20 years. So far we are still at at 90% of PC gamers that are on Windows.

In fact with MS basically giving Windows away now there will be no shift to Linux.

Adam_802

Because Valve doesnt give a shit about updating/supporting their own games/products and they get distracted and move on to other things

See this video:

Last edited:

YCoCg

im only ending chapter 2 but for now its same as portal 1, so basicaly logic game with some interesting narration, can't see 60 or 200fps that important here ;d
Bro you ain't even got to the speed and bounce gels. Some of the later puzzles require you to build up speed to pull off quick shots in the air. That's certainly a part of the game that would benefit from a higher frame rate.

tkscz

I've just bought Portal 1 and 2 for my xbox series x and I can't play it. I love these games very very much but I just can't play at 30fps or less after all these years.

I think this game needs some love.
Then play it on PC or get over the 30fps.

My goodness, when will we be satisfied with FPS? I am guessing in the not too distant future we will regularly see posts complaining about the lack of 240 fps in games. Next gen perhaps.
I felt the same way as you until I recently bought a gaming PC. After playing games at 165fps and 240fps for a few hours, 60fps looks choppy. I come downstairs and try a PS5 game and it actually looks choppy! I couldn’t believe it.

So, yeah, for high action games, I am now in the “120fps or bust” camp.

Top Bottom