• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why cant keeanu reeves act?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean, he can save money on bodyguards and it would be a mistake to break into literally John Wick’s home.

keanu reeves woah face GIF

Last edited:
I mean, he can save money on bodyguards and it would be a mistake to break into literally John Wick’s home.

keanu reeves woah face GIF

I'd bet that someone super chill like Keanu Reeves doesn't personally own any guns. But if he does possess the knowledge and skill to disarm someone with one, well.. shit, they'd be fucked.

Woo-Fu

Banned
wat? neogaf opinion is that he is great in cyber punk but just not given much time

Compared to what we usually get in videogames he was great. That's grading on one hell of a curve, though.

As far as whether or not Keanu can act I don't think anybody knows but him. It hasn't been required for any of the scripts he's taken in a long time.

And like at least one other poster has said that's not uncommon for leading men in Hollywood. I don't even think we can blame the actors. It's almost entirely due to the shallowness of the content.

Last edited:

INC

At least he seems like a decent guy, plus his passion isn't movies, its motorbikes, its fine he's an average actor, he gets the job done

He smashed John wick, and made a classic action film, thats up there with other classics like, die hard. so he can do whatever he likes

99Luffy

Banned
Actors always overdramatize their roles, its their job to, but its not actually a realistic portrayal of how the average person reacts in that situation.
I think thats the appeal of keanu. He's the 'Link' of movie stars where the viewer can just insert themselves in the role.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The guy has a damn good agent. Just look at the luck rollercoaster he’s been on:

Bill and Ted’s
Speed
The Matrix trilogy
John Wick Trilogy

A smattering of decent comedies, family movies, and action movies. Not even the Rock is this lucky.

Compare him with Gerard Butler. Who do you think has been luckier?

SirTerry-T

Point Break is hardly a shining example of thespian ability.. it's a dumb action film with dumb characters spouting dumb (yet cool) lines.

Keanu was pretty good in Rivers Edge and My Own Private Idaho.

This thread doesn't include the other movie he did with Alex Winter: Freaked where he plays a dogboy.

Yup, Keanu is a dogboy.
Mr T is a bearded lady.
Bobcat Goldthwait is a man with a sock puppet for a head.
and Jeff Kahn is a giant nose

Kev Kev

i think people just really like him, and give him a pass on not being an amazing actor. that being said, he can do a good job as long as the role suits his personality.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
john wick lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 2
Keanu Reeves Thumbs Up GIF by Lionsgate

He is Keanu, he transcends the world of acting and into the realm of Badassery. He meets with Nicolas Cage there often.

Worked his ass off for the gun sequences in the John Wick movies.

And is also the most normal celebrity out there. Unless you are an absolute cock i'd imagine you could just have a casual chat with Keanu on a daily stroll.

No Johnny Silverhand can change that.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Keanu Reeves Thumbs Up GIF by Lionsgate

He is Keanu, he transcends the world of acting and into the realm of Badassery. He meets with Nicolas Cage there often.

Worked his ass off for the gun sequences in the John Wick movies.

And is also the most normal celebrity out there. Unless you are an absolute cock i'd imagine you could just have a casual chat with Keanu on a daily stroll.

No Johnny Silverhand can change that.
dont compare him to oscar winner nicolas cage

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
dont compare him to oscar winner nicolas cage
Ill do as i goddamn please. People of brilliance can be comparable, you know.

Ofcourse you don't know. You are a NeoGAF poster. Your moments of brilliance manifest in perfectly timed gifs at just the right moment.

A talent, for sure, but not Keanu/Cage worthy.

;)

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Ill do as i goddamn please. People of brilliance can be comparable, you know.

Ofcourse you don't know. You are a NeoGAF poster. Your moments of brilliance manifest in perfectly timed gifs at just the right moment.

A talent, for sure, but not Keanu/Cage worthy.

;)
keeanu reeves defense force

tsumake

There’s something to say about persona. Keanu is not a good actor but he can have good moments.

I’d say he’s more a physical actor. His movements and blocking are (far) more expressive than he is, which is why he’s so popular in action films.

His demeanor and arguably his interests make him perfect for cyberpunk projects.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
There’s something to say about persona. Keanu is not a good actor but he can have good moments.

I’d say he’s more a physical actor. His movements and blocking are (far) more expressive than he is, which is why he’s so popular in action films.

His demeanor and arguably his interests make him perfect for cyberpunk projects.

whatever happenned to dina mayer?

Tesseract

Banned
keanu is by his own admission a meathead who also happens to be well read

large quality variance, terrible to brilliant in some cases because of the characters which says a lot about his ability to fill roles

his best suits are usually lone wolf antihero -types, somewhere between the monologue and dialogue with a super strong female love interest

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He's one of those guys in so many movies doing all kinds of roles, he cant help but be jack of all trades - which requires being cheesy sometimes.

Nobody should take him as a super serious actor as his most popular roles are Bill & Ted and Matrix. His roles can require campiness.

Mohonky

He's pretty much 'Ted' from Bill and Ted 24/7. Playing a dumb stoner is like the role he waa born to play, anytime he's not playing that role he's like some teenager off his tits trying not to act stoned while meeting his gf's parents.

But it just seems to work for him. For all the tossers you hear about in Hollywood, you really never hear a bad thing about the guy, just seems super mellow and all round nice guy; he's just likeable.

He occasionally does better in some roles (Point Break is kind of a given, he's more believable as the surfer than he is the FBI agent) and John Wick but no he's not exactly a great actor, but he does pop up in great movies so alls forgiven.

Top Bottom