• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why both manufactuers sporting soldered SSD on the board?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The SSD is just a piece of silicon. And just like if any other piece of silicon in the console dies (SoC, RAM, etc), you're gonna need to have the entire main board replaced. Don't think of it as an HDD, because it's not.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The SSD is just a piece of silicon. And just like if any other piece of silicon in the console dies (SoC, RAM, etc), you're gonna need to have the entire main board replaced. Don't think of it as an HDD, because it's not.
Yeah sure, but SSDs are kind of shortest lasting based on what the experience goes. And volatile memories last longer, because they don't have to hold charge.

soulbait

here's what cerny said about the m.2 slot:

So technically it should be possible, it's just a matter of whether Sony will allow you to change the boot order and let you install the OS onto the SSD

I don't see where any of that leads to where it could be booted from it. Swapping boot would require bios level access, and would introduce a huge security hole for the device. It would allow you to use a modified version of the PS5 OS, which would be a security nightmare. I would not hold your breath on this being possible.

Muselbert

I could be very wrong but SSDs on consoles get to read/write much more than they do on PC, or am I wrong?
They're the "secret sauce" behind constant data streaming, after all. Were talking about 100's of GD of data for every game, every day.
They'll be the first consoles to not reach the "retrogaming" status.

Waiting for the slim.

Data is constantly streamd from the SSD to the RAM, which means reading game data from the SSD and writing it into RAM. Writing to the SSD will only be needed for suspend and resume (save RAM data into the SSD) as well as downloading/installing games, patches and OS updates (and save games to a miniscule extent).

Last edited:
Don't get the complaint. RAM is also soldered to the motherboard. If that dies, it will be hard to replace so you need a new PS5.
If you install a secondary M2 drive, I want to know if you can choose the primary drive. Can you install the OS on the secondary drive?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Don't get the complaint. RAM is also soldered to the motherboard. If that dies, it will be hard to replace so you need a new PS5.
If you install a secondary M2 drive, I want to know if you can choose the primary drive. Can you install the OS on the secondary drive?
We don't know if you can or cannot install OS to a secondary drive, most likely due to security concers you cannot. And also volatile and volatile memory is totaly different deal, when it comes to longetivity.

FrankWza

No really. If the series X can have an expandable slot which works exactly like the internal, they could have also made that removable.

Because there are drives on the market that ARE exactly like the x’s SSD, spec-wise. There is not SSD as powerful as the PS5’s. Wait until they come to market in 6 months to a year and we’ll see. Until then, enjoy the awesome power of Sony’s SSD.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Anyone that expected anything other than soldered really has no clue how this console business works.
Err... both the PS3 and PS4 had fully replaceable drives lol

Not sure you should be telling anyone who has a clue on this subject lol

Last edited:

FrankWza

Err... both the PS3 and PS4 had fully replaceable drives lol

Not sure you should be telling anyone who has a clue on this subject lol

That is Not a valid comparison. Things done changed. These drives are going to be used(both systems) to accelerate hardware this gen. It has to be soldered in. If you try to replace the PS5 SSD with a lesser drive it will not offer the performance that games are designed to have. And right now, every SSD available for you to purchase is a lesser drive because Sony’s drive is crazy fast.

TheContact

I don't see where any of that leads to where it could be booted from it. Swapping boot would require bios level access, and would introduce a huge security hole for the device. It would allow you to use a modified version of the PS5 OS, which would be a security nightmare. I would not hold your breath on this being possible.

yea nowhere in my response did i say they'd allow it, only that it's technically possible. i agree; not holding my breath.

IntentionalPun

That is Not a valid comparison. Things done changed. These drives are going to be used(both systems) to accelerate hardware this gen. It has to be soldered in. If you try to replace the PS5 SSD with a lesser drive it will not offer the performance that games are designed to have. And right now, every SSD available for you to purchase is a lesser drive because Sony’s drive is crazy fast.
They are going to let you install a 2nd drive though... it's not really any different than letting you replace the main drive. Either way Sony could provide a compatibility list and require you use specific drives, whether you were replacing the main drive, or adding a secondary, it's not really any different, it's all "at the users risk."

Not complaining; but it's silly to chalk this up to "the console business" when one of the major players has in the past, more often than not, let you replace the internal drive.

IntentionalPun

That would not allow you to use a modified OS... PS4 and PS3 let you replace the main drive, with no issue.

These consoles use hardware to ensure the OS is signed by a private cert, and at the hardware level won't boot if the OS doesn't decrypt. Same with how game software is validated... that's why it's been so difficult to hack modern consoles.

FrankWza

They are going to let you install a 2nd drive though... it's not really any different than letting you replace the main drive. Either way Sony could provide a compatibility list and require you use specific drives, whether you were replacing the main drive, or adding a secondary, it's not really any different, it's all "at the users risk."

Not complaining; but it's silly to chalk this up to "the console business" when one of the major players has in the past, more often than not, let you replace the internal drive.

There is nothing to “chalk up to...”
there is no precedent for this. It’s never been done before where the HDD/SDD is tied into the hardware so that it can be accelerated and utilize its power. You can’t let people do thing “at their own risk” because there are too many stupid people who would mess this up and complain. When the SSDs come out that are comparable to this launch SSD in the PS5 we can see some option. But for now they can’t allow the bottleneck that a slower SSD will cause in its entire system

GAMETA

Banned
You know what pisses me off? The fact that they solder analog sticks into controllers

It's obviously so people can't easily change it, and end up buying new controllers... total bs.

Top Bottom