• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Aren't We (The West) at the forefront in condemning False Mobile Game Ads?

Even if these cancerous ads have an inkling of false advertising, it needs to stop.

But we enables it as gamers who know better.

We didn't tolerate pop up in the 90s when we had to connect to the internet through our phone lines....
8AH6z3e.jpg

We shouldn't have to tolerate these on our always online smartphones
1UVdET9.png

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They are dishonest and should be banned... but what can I say, some of them are hilarious and I specially love the Mafia City ones.

ReBurn

Gold Member
We tolerated pop up ads until someone invented technology to prevent them from popping up. The tolerance of the average consumer had nothing to do with their demise. It's not like you could just opt out of them.

We will piss and moan about these ads until someone invents a way to make it so that we don't have to see them. Then the collective we will pat ourselves on the back for not tolerating them when someone else did all the work to get rid of them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We tolerated pop up ads until someone invented technology to prevent them from popping up.

Then someone invented technology to create "we've noticed you're using an adblocker" pop ups which are even worse. Vicious cycle.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Where do you see those ads? I have literally no clue what you're talking about :(
On Youtube mobile, at least those posted by OP poped a lot for me some time ago.

Fbh

Yeah, I've often wondered how it doesn't qualify as false advertising. I guess it can be argued that it's not that different to a CGI trailer, except unlike a regular CGI trailer it seems specifically designed to trick people into thinking it's gameplay footage.

Like look at this shit:

All ads for a single game. Showing it as a fighting game, and open world game and a third person hack and slash. All with HUD and buttom prompts.
The actual game is some generic turn based gacha

If I've learned anything from the average user is they don't give a crap about ads or being spied on if they don't have to pay for stuff.

Yeah I'm guessing that's their strategy.

Lots of people will download, most will be disappointed about it being nothing like the ad but since it was free it doesn't really matter to them. A small percentage will still like it and play it.

Last edited:

Aenima

I created a thread about this same issue in the other forum, nobody gave a shit about it. Its weird how this keeps going for so long in the mobile games space.

I literarally saw a God of War trailer being used as advertisement for some crapy action mobile game. I also got fooled by an advert from some brain training kind a game that looked fun in the advert and when i installed it was not even the same game shown in the ad. Unistalled it and rated it 1 star for false advertising.

Last edited:

TVexperto

I created a thread about this same issue in the other forum, nobody gave a shit about it. Its weird how this keeps going for so long in the mobile games space.

I literarally saw a God of War trailer being used as advertisement for some crapy action mobile game. I also got fooled by an advert from some brain training kind a game that looked fun in the advert and when i installed it was not even the same game shown in the ad. Unistalled it and rated it 1 star for false advertising.
They focus their anger towards some random fictional ingame poster in a video game

Last edited:

ranmafan

Yeah these ads are plastered everywhere especially in those free with ads mobile games that seem to completely dominate the entire mobile gaming scene now. Always saying that a game is one type of game but the second you download it it’s nothing like that at all and the game in the ad doesn’t even exist in that form. It’s some of the most blatant forms of false advertising I’ve ever seen and for some reason these companies are getting away with it. Funny thing is I’ve seen some companies have tried to even make real versions of these games that get advertised and make a point of saying “ here’s the real version of that game you wanted to download.” But yeah it’s extremely annoying, and another reason why I think mobile gaming has fallen so low lately.

Top Bottom