• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Are Marvel’s X-Men Comics So Terrible Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

I'd agree with the blame landing on a talent leak. Marvel hasn't been able to replace the creative juices lost when Hickman/Fraction/Brubaker left.

Talent turnover is common anyways, give it a few more years and there'll be another stable of solid writers.

They have some promising talent coming in on books that fit their talents so we'll see if anything comes from that.

nicanica

Straw that broke the camels back was the Children of the Atom arc. Just seemed like everything related to X-men had to do with a shitty future which is resolved by time travel.

Pushing for diversity isn't some hot topic. Every comic company needs to push for diversity.

I'm not trying to insinuate it being a bad thing (although I do feel swapping race and genders of popular characters is silly).I'm just saying it seems like at least on Marvel's side, a direct responce to the lack of growth in readership over the past decade and in some areas a decline. They are not just doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, they are a business trying to branch out to new audiences.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
because Marvel doesnt value mutants anymore

lets not pretend that the Movie successes are not having a impact on wihich "next big" character to push

Soodanim

The thing about comic book threads is that you're all so much more vocal about who you don't like, so from the outside looking in I don't know what to take away from them. The only agreed upon thing seems to be hatred of Liefeld's drawing.

Bendis is shit! No, Hickman is shit! So many names, so many black and white opinions. Give me some grey, comicGAF!

The thing about comic book threads is that you're all so much more vocal about who you don't like, so from the outside looking in I don't know what to take away from them. The only agreed upon thing seems to be hatred of Liefeld's drawing.

Bendis is shit! No, Hickman is shit! So many names, so many black and white opinions. Give me some grey, comicGAF!

Bendis is bad sometimes, sometimes just okay, sometimes good and sometimes amazing.

Hickman is almost always amazing.

I think you'll find a lot more gray in the comicgaf thread if you're interested

Squire

Banned
You quoted me saying he sucked the fun out of everything he touches.

Your view of the runs are different to mine, but surely you can see that the humour/fun went AWOL? Yes, he had wild big ideas but the dryness of it just bored me.

Those stories are just as adventurous as anything else. Hickman isn't Chip Zdarsky though. I mean, what exactly are you looking for? People hate on Bendis' Avebgers and half the book was them sitting around joking.

Sandfox

Bendis is a good writer IMO, but he tends to end up on books that don't suit his strengths. It seems like he's moving away from those kinds of books with this final Guardians of the Galaxy story being his last team book.

Squire

Banned
People like Coates, Wilson, and Cain (Mockingbird is exceptional) need to be kept in the fold and put on more than just their signature books. That's a great start to a new stable right there.

Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2009, Silk, Spider-Gwen.

That Marvel has built an entire (successful) goddamn line off of Spider-Man is amazing, no pun intended. There is a thrust and point to each book, while also fitting within a larger line-wide context.

Yeah, it's like I'm not the biggest fan of Dan Slott's latests Spider-Man work but I can at least begrudgingly admit that his tenure in the Spider-Office has seen a really big expansion of the Spider-line. Heck, now that Renew Your Vows is officially getting it's own ongoing there is literally a Spider-comic for whatever your poison is.

kswiston

Bendis is bad sometimes, sometimes just okay, sometimes good and sometimes amazing.

Hickman is almost always amazing.

I think you'll find a lot more gray in the comicgaf thread if you're interested

Hickman has some of the best payoffs in the industry. I can see why some people reading month to month get annoyed at the set up issues though. It's like those first few episodes of a season of Game of Thrones vs the last few.

It's not as big a deal if you are re-reading or reading after the fact.

Bendis was better a decade ago. Alias, Daredevil, and some of his creator owned stuff was great. His Avengers and X-Men runs were uneven but not all bad. His events have been terrible for years. He definitely should stick to solo titles, but even then, you can tell that he's a writer who has lost some of his freshness.

I dont think 2000 Bendis would have ever slept his way through that Secret Wars Ultimate universe tie in he wrote.

mjc

I didn't really care for the payoff in Secret Wars, but Hickman's Avengers was solid.

I'm a big, big, big fan of what Aaron did on Thor pre-unworthy status. Godkiller was a great arc.

E the Shaggy

Yeah, that Hickman, what a humorless writer *sarcasm*:

9642c21f5dd7f76719ee73a26fb51849.jpg

As for the X-Men, they just need someone steering the ship who has the ability to do so. Apocalypse Wars sounded good in theory but just fell apart. Having all aspects of "The Rocks of the Eternal Shore" attack the X-Men at once? Great idea!

Revealing that the horsemen are Colossus, Deadpool, a Moon Knight we've never met and a Symbiote thats not Venom or Carnage? Ehhhh doable if the writing was decent but it isn't.

When Secret Wars ended, I felt like Marvel just lost some of their biggest guns and their big guns are spinning their wheels (looking at you Brian Michael Bendis with his murder happy sequel to Civil War). And hey listen, people can talk about how Marvel isn't pushing the X-Men down as a way to push the Inhumans up, but man, the storylines sure seem like that's what's happening. We're presented with yet another "Mutants are going extinct!" storyline and with none of the originality or forethought to seperate it from the thousands of times we've seen it before.

I think a huge angle to take with this would be to explore the idea that the Terrigen Mists are now sterilizing mutants. It's a HUGE development and unlike House of M, mutants turned human could still have kids. Now, hell yeah their better be a war brewing with the Inhumans. It's also so strange that the Inhumans do nothing for the mutant population considering this is entirely their fucking mess as a result of Infinity. I digress though.

Basically, if Marvel wants to bring the X-Men back, they need to make the Inhumans who they once were, give them their own spot in the Marvel Universe with crazy space shit and their separation from humanity and STOP TRYING TO MAKE THEM THE X-MEN!

mjc

The bleed from Marvel Studios into the comics is definitely felt with any Inhumans stories. They just don't seem as interesting as mutants, and they definitely give off some weird sense of entitlement. (For whatever reason) Jettison them off Earth and let them do some cosmic shit for a few years.

E the Shaggy

The bleed from Marvel Studios into the comics is definitely felt with any Inhumans stories. They just don't seem as interesting as mutants, and they definitely give off some weird sense of entitlement. (For whatever reason) Jettison them off Earth and let them do some cosmic shit for a few years.

The Inhumans remind me of the Plinkett Episode 1 review where you had to describe their characters without talking about their abilities or appearance.

"Black Bolt? Oh he's stoic...strong....Medusa? Oh well she's stoic....strong....Gorgon?.......stoic."

mjc

The Inhumans remind me of the Plinkett Episode 1 review where you had to describe their characters without talking about their abilities or appearance.

"Black Bolt? Oh he's stoic...strong....Medusa? Oh well she's stoic....strong....Gorgon?.......stoic."

Right, and the only way to avoid that is to make them really weird. Which has possibilities, but then you'll come back around to asking why they don't just focus on mutants again. Because they're basically mutants without the constant threat of persecution.

It's really crazy how they went from titles like New X-Men, X-Statix, and Uncanny X-Force to the current line up. I'm not even a huge X-Fan and it's hard to deny the drop in quality and general creative interest.

There are also far too many people at Marvel writing far too many titles at once.

E the Shaggy

Right, and the only way to avoid that is to make them really weird. Which has possibilities, but then you'll come back around to asking why they don't just focus on mutants again. Because they're basically mutants without the constant threat of persecution.

Warren Ellis worked wonders with Karnak.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I enjoy Lemire on Old Man Logan and Extraordinary X-Men. Lemire has been doing well with Marvel and I'll read most of what he writes for Marvel.

LordRaptor

I guess the benefit of Inhumans over Mutants is if you need a new supe, like, right goddamn now, you can just go OOPS! TERRIGEN GAS! and attach powers to basically any character from any background.

Post House Of M, you can't just have a new Mutant appear and be all like "yeah, I've been a mutant for years, you just never met me before" and actual new mutants are going to be, what, pubescent children now? Adolescents? I don't know how much in-universe time passed. Making terrigen gas lethal and rendering mutants sterile also sort of stops the old standard dude from the future that the 90s loved so much.

Neoxon

No Cyclops makes the books rudderless, IMO.
You'll get Young Cyclops in Champions.

Because of Ike Perlmutter's feud with Fox.
Marvel is jelly.
That isn't really impacting the comics (outright cancelling the X-Books would cause a PR shit-storm, & Marvel knows that). The only reason why they were able to get away with cancelling the Fantastic Four is because their comics weren't selling that well to begin with. However, if this was the video game or cartoon side of things, you'd have a point.

And even then, the X-films have seen better days (Deadpool aside).

Mike Carey's xmen legacy is so good

Mike Carey was honestly a top tier X-writer, on par with Claremont IMO. His run from X-Men: Supernovas and onwards was really fucking incredible. I really can't believe he never was given full reigns of the franchise. All the talent that just came and went on X-Men spinoffs is astounding.

Neoxon

This is all prep work for the next Secret War where the X-Men get to join the Fantastic Four in oblivion.
As stated earlier, Marvel knows that they can't get away with cancelling the X-Men comics outright, so I'm not expecting the X-Books to go anywhere anytime soon.

E the Shaggy

I guess the benefit of Inhumans over Mutants is if you need a new supe, like, right goddamn now, you can just go OOPS! TERRIGEN GAS! and attach powers to basically any character from any background.

Post House Of M, you can't just have a new Mutant appear and be all like "yeah, I've been a mutant for years, you just never met me before" and actual new mutants are going to be, what, pubescent children now? Adolescents? I don't know how much in-universe time passed. Making terrigen gas lethal and rendering mutants sterile also sort of stops the old standard dude from the future that the 90s loved so much.

Ironically enough they just did this with Kraven's daughter.

Neoxon

ur like... always wrong tho lmao. why are u always so sure of urself.
Not always, though my most prominent guesses were the ones that I get the most heat for. On topic, I'm confident about the X-Comics sticking around because the X-Books are still selling well. Not to mention that Marvel Entertainment is already getting heat from X-Fans for what they're doing to the mutants outside of the comics.

seriously, it was obvious they had no direction when they went for the old "mutants are in danger of extinction" trope. I mean they did it not long after they finally reversed the effects of House of M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom