• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will win Black Friday sales this year between the big 3?

Who will win Black Friday?

• Xbox Series

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 68 36.4%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 60 32.1%

• Total voters
For the US of course, for a long time gaming sites have not had much in the way of sales reports or leaks, every year there is a report either by a market research firm, companies themselves, NPD(rare), or the mixture of the 3 that reveal sales for Black Friday (and sometimes Cyber Monday) making it among the only times of the year when we will actually get sales numbers outside rare PR.

Some factors to consider,

1. Switch is slowing down in the US which needs to be considered as both new consoles are rising. However, Switch had several good promos, more than expected which may be a surprise.

2. The PS5 recently released God of War, and while it'll be awhile before we know how many systems moved because of it outside the base, it was a major release just before today BF. Also sales on PS plus and several games.

3. Xbox Series X stock was stockpiled and sold out quickly, and Xbox Series S was produced in large quantities for several standalone and "all access" deals, including give away with partnerships with various companies, including furniture. Also deals on Gamepass and several retail releases.

It could really go either way. I think the biggest decider will be with X selling out, how much of the inventory of the S did Microsoft sell with those deals? If it was even half as good as is being implicated it can lead to a win.

I believe an Xbox win will be determined by how much demand went to the Series S during the price cuts and promos.

If it didn't manage to get enough demand, than the decider between the Switch and PS5 will be how many systems God of War moves outside the PS5's existing base.

Usually we find out results next day or within the week after Black Friday.

Black Friday is also a fairly reliable indicator of who will win the month as well.

vivftp

We know Sony produced an extra 3 million PS5's last quarter that were held back, so they were probably reserved for the GoW launch and for things like Black Friday. That's on top of the normal production for this quarter, so they're prolly gonna be putting out some large numbers.

badblue

Animated GIF

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I’m going to say PS5, but all consoles will do very well.

Saw this at my local Best Buy last weekend:

52519331615_e9ba1f5745_b.jpg

Lots of Series S consoles and Switch’s too, but surprisingly no Series X consoles. And this was at 3:30 in the afternoon so presumably they were sitting there all day.

Saw a couple PS5s and a couple Series X’s at Target today as well. So they’re out there.

Either way, I think whoever has the most hardware on shelves will sell the best this year.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are we acting as if this wasn`t entirely decided by supply again? Or are we just looking at the few parts of the world where you can actually buy a PS5/XSX without lottery luck?
We know Sony held back millions of ps5 for q4 and black Friday so I think it could easily take the win as its had more stock than its ever had for this qtr

reksveks

Ps5 is definitely winning the revenue numbers, I think the series consoles may win in terms of units maybe a bit skewed cause of the Amazon US charts and how it has progressed throughout the month. Specifically the PS5 sku's not appearing in the top sellers for the last 3-4 days.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’m thinking Ps5 since I’ve gotten the impression they have more stock these days.

BouncyFrag

I’m going to say PS5, but all consoles will do very well.

Saw this at my local Best Buy last weekend:

52519331615_e9ba1f5745_b.jpg

Lots of Series S consoles and Switch’s too, but surprisingly no Series X consoles. And this was at 3:30 in the afternoon so presumably they were sitting there all day.

Saw a couple PS5s and a couple Series X’s at Target today as well. So they’re out there.

Either way, I think whoever has the most hardware on shelves will sell the best this year.
giphy.gif

I finally got mine last week.

jm89

Between series s and switch.

Mainly due to stock or else ps5 takes it. But this is based on anecdote, just seems series s was all over the place with stock in the USA. While ps5 was lacking in places like Amazon.

NahaNago

It depends on how much stock is available for the consoles. I could see PS5 winning it but then we also have these series S sales going like crazy and the Switch is still going pretty strong. I'd probably give it to xbox though even if the PS5 has more stock available save up this holiday due to Xbox having 2 versions and one is ridiculously cheap this holiday.

series s or switch.

but i don't really care. why would you? i don't work for sony, microsoft, or nintendo. i don't own any shares in any of them.

stop sucking up to huge companies and get a life :)

Last edited:

Mowcno

Switch because ps5 will have no stock.

Only thing that could change that is if Microsoft had a crap ton of Series S for the discount offer.

Woopah

I don't know if we'll find out Black Friday's figures specifically, but for NPD units as a whole I'm expecting:

November

PS5
XBS
NSW

December

NSW
PS5
XBS

Sony looks to have prepared well for the holiday, and Switch isn't hitting the highs of its past at this price. However, Sony's and Microsoft's holiday sales are weighted towards November while Nintendo's sales are weighted towards December.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Are we really comparing hardware from 2015 to top of the notch modern consoles? /s

Where there any Steam Deck promotions?

yazenov

Sony will sell all the stock available. So if Sony managed to supply retailers with enough stock, they will outsell the competition. It all depends on PS5 availability.

Top Bottom