• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who owns the game rights to Indiana Jones? I want a new title like Jedi Fallen Order!

GreyHorace

I've said it before, but Jedi Fallen Order was so good that it made me excited for Star Wars games again (even under the great evil that is Electronic Arts). That game plus The Mandalorian revived my interest in the franchise after it had been strained by The Last Jedi crapshow.

But aside from that galaxy far far away, they should make a new game of George Lucas' other great franchise. I'd love to see a new Indiana Jones game for next gen. It would feature:

Exploring lost tombs to find hidden artifacts by solving some puzzles:

SimilarWarpedGrayling-size_restricted.gif

Avoiding deadly traps set to kill you:

CavernousRelievedBubblefish-size_restricted.gif

A mixture of physical combat and gunplay:

DirectJollyAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif

There'd also be numerous scenes of death defying escapes and comedy, sometimes in the same scene:

Now I know what you're all gonna say. 'Go play Uncharted or Tomb Raider then!' But I don't want to play as Nathan Drake or Lara Croft. I want to play as Indiana Jones damnit. Especially with John Williams immortal Raider's March playing in the background:

I don't see why the can't make a new game featuring our favorite archeologist. Dr. Jones has been in videogames since 1982. I still have memories watching my brother play the LucasArts adventure games based The Last Crusade and The Fate of Atlantis. I thought Infernal Machine was garbage but The Emperor's Tomb was decent.

The good doctor is ripe for AAA title on the next gen. Don't you think GAF?

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
it's called Uncharted and it's already done
Fuck Uncharted though. I love the first 3 Indy movies and couldn't stand that shit. And aside from the shitty popamole gameplay, the story/characters, ect....doesn't have 1/10th of the charm of those movies....and that's being kind.

I think it translates better to p&c adventures, like Fate of Atlantis and Last Crusade, instead of some mindless AAAwesome action game.

GreyHorace

Fuck Uncharted though. I love the first 3 Indy movies and couldn't stand that shit. And aside from the shitty popamole gameplay, the story/characters, ect....doesn't have 1/10th of the charm of those movies....and that's being kind.

I think it translates better to p&c adventures, like Fate of Atlantis and Last Crusade, instead of some mindless AAAwesome action game.

Well the films are known for redifining action adventure films when they first came out. I don't see how it would be out of place as an AAA action game. You can keep the puzzle solving elements from the adventure games and incorporate in a new title. After all, Jedi Fallen Order had some pretty cool puzzles as well.

GymWolf

Yep, i can't wait to explore just to find ponchos and color skin for indy's whip...

I mean, with all the good games out there you choose that derivative thing as an inspiration?

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Well the films are known for redifining action adventure films when they first came out. I don't see how it would be out of place as an AAA action game. You can keep the puzzle solving elements from the adventure games and incorporate in a new title. After all, Jedi Fallen Order had some pretty cool puzzles as well.
Yea, a cool Indy action game can def be done, no doubt,...with the right devs.

When it comes to the writing though, they need to steer fucking clear of that shitty over dramatic type of modern Hollywood storytelling that's supposed to make you soooo EMOTIONAL.

Fuck that. Has the opposite effect on me and just makes me cringe.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Yep, i can't wait to explore just to find ponchos and color skin for indy's whip...

I mean, with all the good games out there you choose that derivative thing as an inspiration?

What? You mean Jedi Fallen Order? Yes. I enjoyed that game immensely because it and The Mandalorian felt like the Star Wars films I used to watch as a kid. It's way better than any of the Disney sequel movies or even the Prequels (shocking I know). If a new Indiana Jones game where to capture the feel and tone of the first 3 films (I hate Crystal Skull btw), I'd be a happy camper.

And yes, I didn't much care for the cosmetic collectibles you find in the game. But it's a minor complaint when the rest of the game is so good.

Yea, a cool Indy action game can def be done, no doubt,...with the right devs.

When it comes to the writing though, they need to steer fucking clear of that shitty over dramatic type of modern Hollywood storytelling that's supposed to make you soooo EMOTIONAL.

Fuck that. Has the opposite effect on me and just makes me cringe.

Speaking of storytelling, I recently watched Raiders of the Lost Ark again and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it's screenplay is. It's an example of economical storytelling that sadly seems to be out of vogue with much of the current crop of Hollywood movies.

And going back to Jedi Fallen Order, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it's story was. A new Indy game with that same kind of quality writing would be a win in my book.

GymWolf

What? You mean Jedi Fallen Order? Yes. I enjoyed that game immensely because it and The Mandalorian felt like the Star Wars films I used to watch as a kid. It's way better than any of the Disney sequel movies or even the Prequels (shocking I know). If a new Indiana Jones game where to capture the feel and tone of the first 3 films (I hate Crystal Skull btw), I'd be a happy camper.

And yes, I didn't much care for the cosmetic collectibles you find in the game. But it's a minor complaint when the rest of the game is so good.

Speaking of storytelling, I recently watched Raiders of the Lost Ark again and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it's screenplay is. It's an example of economical storytelling that sadly seems to be out of vogue with much of the current crop of Hollywood movies.

And going back to Jedi Fallen Order, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it's story was. A new Indy game with that same kind of quality writing would be a win in my book.
Matter of taste i guess, for me it was an honest 7\10 derivative game that does nothing new or better compared to the games that "inspired" it.

Bryank75

Banned
They could get the rights and make an Uncharted: Indiana Jones game..... would fit right in, just make all the enemies nazis and have old guns. The whip / rope mechanic is already pretty much there.

Uncharted scratched that itch for me...it has some of the best characters in gaming, with Sully, Nathan, Chloe etc. and the series already sells crazy amounts, so I'm not sure it would really bring the series any new level of success.

I actually would have preferred a Blade-runner / Detroit Become Human open-world game (Since we are on the topic of Harrison Ford films)

The Fartist

Gold Member
Wow, it only took one one reply before we got an Indy Vs Drake debate.

Indy's great! But not relevant anymore, I'd be really surprised if EA took a chance, they'd be going up against Tomb Raider as well.

As a 36 year old, though: Shut up and take my money!

Kuranghi

Matter of taste i guess, for me it was an honest 7\10 derivative game that does nothing new or better compared to the games that "inspired" it.

Completely agree, I played it for the power-fantasy jedi/lightsabre, environments/graphics, exploration of levels and to a lesser extent the puzzles. I really liked it for those reasons. I played it with a very shallow mindset lol if I hadn't found out how to make it look amazing with ini tweaks I maybe wouldn't have bothered completing it.

Kuranghi

People saying "Tomb Raider" and "Uncharted" have never seen an Indiana Jones film.

The only thing they have in common is that they are archaeologists. Indy is nothing like Nathan Drake or Lara Croft.

Indeed, I'd say both Lara and Nahtan are in it for the glory, in slightly different ways sure, but similiar.

The closest Uncharted comes to an Indiana Jones games is them taking the intro to fate of atlantis and repeating the "joke" of him falling through the floor a million times throughout the series lol

Lets just enjoy how good this intro is:

edit - Goddamn nazi's lol

Last edited:
Disney/Lucasfilm owns the franchise so I assume it would be up to EA to make the game.

A Respawn Indiana Jones game could be great. The problem is Harrison Ford. His likeness does not come cheap. If he voices dialogue for the game it would cost millions for his voice alone. If they didn't use his likeness and voice people would shit themselves over it. If they do something like basing the game on Indi's kids it will fall on it's face right out of the gate.

I really think Uncharted and Tomb Raider are as close as we'll see on modern consoles to Indiana Jones.

GreyHorace

Disney/Lucasfilm owns the franchise so I assume it would be up to EA to make the game.

A Respawn Indiana Jones game could be great. The problem is Harrison Ford. His likeness does not come cheap. If he voices dialogue for the game it would cost millions for his voice alone. If they didn't use his likeness and voice people would shit themselves over it. If they do something like basing the game on Indi's kids it will fall on it's face right out of the gate.

I really think Uncharted and Tomb Raider are as close as we'll see on modern consoles to Indiana Jones.

Nah. Ford's not really necessary, as Lucasarts made numerous games without his voice. I don't think he'd be interested even if they asked him to and offered to pay him a shitton of money. And he signed away his likeness for the character just like with Han Solo.

It'd be fantastic if he agreed to it though. Don't think it'll happen in a thousand years.

Honestly, I would love it, but only if they made it feel like a PS2/Xbox game. Have a story that is kind of out there and doesn't take itself to seriously, have fun creative puzzles and exploration and don't have big action combat sections but get the action from things like chase sequences.

Don't make it like Uncharted or New Tomb Raider, because those games are just bland third person shooters with stories that take themselves to seriously

SirTerry-T

An Infernal Machine remake would be better than nothing.
Fate Of Atlantis is is still Indy's best videogame outing though in my opinion.

Uncharted has it all: very nice action with both shooting and melee, vehicle sections, some quite clever puzzles not of the inventory kind leading to either a solution or terrible death, exploration of exotic ancient locations, same kind of witty and funny remarks as Indy.

I really don't know why some people have a problem with it. It's more true to Indy (in 4 Nate even gets a handy whip) than Tomb Raider and Lara Tits dual gunning baddies while jumping platforms in tombs...

I say that as an authentic 80s teen. I think most of the criticism is by Nintendo, Xbox and pc fans for obvious reasons

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
People saying "Tomb Raider" and "Uncharted" have never seen an Indiana Jones film.

The only thing they have in common is that they are archaeologists. Indy is nothing like Nathan Drake or Lara Croft.
Yeah the Lara reboot isn't as shit as the last 2 Indy films.

CamHostage

They tried to make one in the PS360 era, but it didn't work out (you can play the storyline thanks to the PSP/PS2/Wii game, which does not have the impressive tech but has some of the combat complications conceived for the HD version.)

(*Much of this video is "pre-vis" footage rather "gameplay", but there's in-engine stuff in there.)

Also, lots of people have mentioned Uncharted, but Uncharted rips off the character and kind of the locations of Indy, not the action necessarily. Uncharted is a shooter at heart with traversal puzzles and setpieces filling out the play, so it's 2/3 I guess? I'm not holding my breath for a new Indy game (and I don't personally care a lot who my character is in a videogame, so if it's just action and deadly traps punching and shooting I'm out for, I can go get that in other games,) but the Lego Indiana Jones games were good fun.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
do you think they will really allow a privileged white boy seeking treasures and fighting the Nazis of today?

who's "they"

It's an iconic franchise that is overdue for a reboot in gaming. If the game is good, people will play it. I'm sure there will be diversity in the rest of the cast

iorek21

Maybe if the new movie or reboot or whatever is successful, that will encourage Disney to make a game out of it.

As of now though, Indiana Jones has no real relevance, so I don't think they would risk doing a game in an already dominated genre

Jtibh

Banned
Yes i want that too.
Playing fallen order right now and finally a game that lets you explore freely.
I am always amazed finding new areas just by misstake , places that are not needed to progress in the main game.
What a game.

And you guys jizz over tlou2 though its combat is outdated exploration is at a bare minimum and not even rewarding.

Jedi caught me by surprise . I had it in my backlog since last year and only now did i start it. Ever since i cant put it down.
What a fool i was instead i wasted my time on some very subpar games that were hyped up the ass

Rikoi

I played one when I was a kid I think it was indiana jones and the infernal machine, and I really enjoyed it, I loved exploring and puzzles. I would surely love a new one.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was very much looking forward to the Indiana Jones game using the tech that they made The Force Unleashed with. Instead we got a measly Wii/PS2 game. Such a shame.

MiguelItUp

I was really bummed when that previous Indiana Jones game was canned. Especially since I really loved the Euphoria engine, and I was really excited about more games using it.

It always annoyed me when people were like, "Just play the Uncharted series", because I don't care about the Uncharted IP. I care about the Indiana Jones IP. I understand it's dramatically influenced by Indiana Jones, but it's still not Indiana Jones, lmao.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wouldn't mind seeing an Indiana Jones game. I'd settle for remaster of one the old point and click adventure games, even.

CamHostage

I was really bummed when that previous Indiana Jones game was canned. Especially since I really loved the Euphoria engine, and I was really excited about more games using it.

Yeah, it's a shame the videogame industry is so quiet (and litigious) about canceled projects, because I would love to know the history of this game project even though I'll never be able to play it. It doesn't look like the combat ever got beyond being janky, but some jank was normal in that time, so I'm not sure what else was the problem aside from that SW TFU was the more demanding and viable property for the company. (Would like it if that demo was leaked some day, looks like the SF section was more or less playable,)

...Instead we got a measly Wii/PS2 game. Such a shame.

Well, we got the planned PS2/PSP (and eventually Wii) ports of the game, same as we got the PSP version of SW Battlefront 3 (renamed Elite Squadron) when the Free Radical version crashed and burned. So same game story and kind of the same cutscenes and voice acting, but we missed out on the cool tech that was powering (but maybe also crippling?) the core console versions of the games.

(The Battlefront 3 story is complicated, of course; some say it was the PSP "port", others say it was what was salvaged from the HD game when it was canceled; I think most likely it was developed at the same time, but things got complicated when Rebellion tried to take over the project from Free Radical, but the whole thing failed and only the PSP game released one way or another. It would have been nice if Elite Squadron had gotten a PS2/Wii release, same as Indy Staff of Kings did, as Wii could have used an online game like Battlefront and the game in general could have used a console with dual-analog aiming.)

Overall though, I think we got the best of a tragic situation in LucasArts' last-gasp era with some past-gen versions of the messy Indy and Force Unleashed projects. I severely dislike the HD version of TFU1 but found Krome's PSP/Wii game a lot of fun, I feel I might have ultimately had the same impression of Staff of Kings if the HD game had launched.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I've said it before, but Jedi Fallen Order was so good that it made me excited for Star Wars games again (even under the great evil that is Electronic Arts). That game plus The Mandalorian revived my interest in the franchise after it had been strained by The Last Jedi crapshow.

But aside from that galaxy far far away, they should make a new game of George Lucas' other great franchise. I'd love to see a new Indiana Jones game for next gen. It would feature:

Exploring lost tombs to find hidden artifacts by solving some puzzles:

SimilarWarpedGrayling-size_restricted.gif

Avoiding deadly traps set to kill you:

CavernousRelievedBubblefish-size_restricted.gif

A mixture of physical combat and gunplay:

DirectJollyAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif

There'd also be numerous scenes of death defying escapes and comedy, sometimes in the same scene:

Now I know what you're all gonna say. 'Go play Uncharted or Tomb Raider then!' But I don't want to play as Nathan Drake or Lara Croft. I want to play as Indiana Jones damnit. Especially with John Williams immortal Raider's March playing in the background:

I don't see why the can't make a new game featuring our favorite archeologist. Dr. Jones has been in videogames since 1982. I still have memories watching my brother play the LucasArts adventure games based The Last Crusade and The Fate of Atlantis. I thought Infernal Machine was garbage but The Emperor's Tomb was decent.

The good doctor is ripe for AAA title on the next gen. Don't you think GAF?

Jeah i take another Point & Click adventure

Top Bottom