• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who knew that a simple model swap can change the impact and perception of the game...

levyjl1988

Banned
Yet video games still push forward trash cosmetics, I think visuals play a huge part. I look at Marvel Avengers cosmetic store and they suck, they don't even have the MCU skins in there. Just shitty reskins.

Besides the game feel and balance, cosmetics play a large part in playing the game, the more acceptable the model is to the player can cause attraction and attachment.
It like looking at a really attractive car vs a busted old one, or a really attractive girl vs one that isn't.
Visuals are a large part, it's why people petitioned to change Sonic's look for the movie, it made it more appealing.

Has a simple model change, character model change altered your attitude towards a game? Made you more invested?
I remember playing Tera and I replaced my stead of a horse (given to you by default) with a fire wolf that looked like Okami and I enjoyed the game much more.
It was all just visual.

Kuranghi

I used to love kitting out my D3 characters with all the same armor type via transmog, that was great and made me enjoy playing more, I prefer the male version but I can only find a good picture of the female one:

full

Its silly as hell, but I like it.

Last edited:
I think the problem with Avengers is they probably didn't sign over the actor's licenses. So they own "Iron Man" but they don't own Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.

For a game like Avengers, which is directly marketed alongside a film series, the expectation is that the characters would resemble their onscreen counterpoints. I think if they kept the same quality and tried to make them look more like the actors then there would have been way less bitching.

Piggoro

CoD MW (2019) was the game I played the most in the last couple of years and enjoyed all these hours. The moment they brought wacky cosmetics to the store my interest in game and will to play got cut in half. And I abandoned the game soon after

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It is important to me.

Even in single player games.
Since you spend so much time in a lot of video games with the main character front and center all the time, it is cool when they change the look of the protagonist.
It also makes sense in the context of the game to change the appearance.

But especially in multiplayer.
Customization is a great appeal to show at least some kind of individualized personality online.
And with some games having player bases in the millions you can not have enough of that.

I think single player games could use more customization. I gladly pay for a nice reskin.
For both they should provide quality over quantity content.

N30RYU

Infamous 2 the thead.

Cole redesing was a bad move ppl didn't allowed them to do.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
That's what most of my time goes with.

If it wasn't for cosmetics I wouldn't have played world of Warcraft for so long. I don't want to go around in red shredded underpants with a bucket on my head, I want to look cool.

Termite

The fact that a huge amount of modern video games (such as Overwatch, or any gacha game) have been massively financially successful by having attractive characters and then monetizing skins for them shows that it's inarguable that players care hugely about this.

You are in the huge majority, OP. And while I won't pay for skins, I'm there with you in principle.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wait, you play Marvel Avengers? Well there's your problem.

Jokes aside, I think when Apex Legends came out, the skins were absolutely atrocious. Nowadays they've been getting the hang of it and I definitely find myself drawn to buying these cosmetics.

I think one of the best games to do cosmetics is Path of Exile. Not just skins for your character, but skins for your abilities and spells as well which drastically change the aesthetic of the game.

Last edited:

Dregnel

Wait, you play Marvel Avengers? Well there's your problem.

Jokes aside, I think when Apex Legends came out, the skins were absolutely atrocious. Nowadays they've been getting the hang of it and I definitely find myself drawn to buying these cosmetics.

I think one of the best games to do cosmetics is Path of Exile. Not just skins for your character, but skins for your abilities and spells as well which drastically change the aesthetic of the game.

well i find overwatch comestic amazing but i don't feel the urge to buy cosmetics in FPS just to be able to see them when you die.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Ah vanilla WoW, where everyone looked like shit except for raiders. Good times.
Yeah about that...

74279-conquerors-battlegear.jpg

AQ didn't have good looking sets.

But yeah everyone else looked like someone with a bucket on their head.

Matt_Fox

Absolutely, and cosmetics (updated graphics) can keep a game alive for years after it would normally have declined. Skyrim looks like a current title thanks to mods and that's why it's still one of the most-played PC games today. If the graphics looked the way they do on the right the playerbase would have dwindled away years ago..

hIUW9Pb.jpg

GymWolf

Absolutely, and cosmetics (updated graphics) can keep a game alive for years after it would normally have declined. Skyrim looks like a current title thanks to mods and that's why it's still one of the most-played PC games today. If the graphics looked the way they do on the right the playerbase would have dwindled away years ago..

hIUW9Pb.jpg
Did they ever fixed combat and animations with these mods?!

greencoder

I think the problem with Avengers is they probably didn't sign over the actor's licenses. So they own "Iron Man" but they don't own Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.

For a game like Avengers, which is directly marketed alongside a film series, the expectation is that the characters would resemble their onscreen counterpoints. I think if they kept the same quality and tried to make them look more like the actors then there would have been way less bitching.
That would be expensive, like $50+ millions more expensive and Avengers is already one of the most expensive games. Considering that the game itself is shit, MCU actors would not change much.

Absolutely, and cosmetics (updated graphics) can keep a game alive for years after it would normally have declined. Skyrim looks like a current title thanks to mods and that's why it's still one of the most-played PC games today.
I need the links. Never replayed Skyrim, but would love to do so with the improved graphics.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

That would be expensive, like $50+ millions more expensive and Avengers is already one of the most expensive games. Considering that the game itself is shit, MCU actors would not change much.

I need the links. Never replayed Skyrim, but would love to do so with the improved graphics.

The specific character models shown in that photo are from a mod called 'Bijin All In One'.

I will say that modding Skyrim on PC isn't a 5 minute job, it's a journey. But every journey begins with a first step and here it is: Modding Skyrim Special Edition with Vortex - Nexus Mods Wiki

Griffon

A cool and/or beautiful main character can go a long way yes.

I'd say Japan is generally more cognisant of that fact than the west.

Last edited:
Top Bottom