• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is using backwards compatability for the XB360 as a reason for an early purchase?

Oni Jazar

I know I am. I think just the fact that it can play Xbox games with a wireless controller is a big reason I'm getting it so soon. I know I could just buy a wireless controller now but it won't be as good and it'll be useless for the 360. I'll buy a 360 game or two but I still intend to be playing my Spiderman 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Jade Empire, Forza and more well into next year.

More AAA 360 games will come eventually and by then I'll be very happy with the purchase.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure you'll be able to play more than a few MGS (Microsoft Games Studio) titles and Ninja Gaiden.

And of course Oblivion. And Ghost Recon. And Kameo.

Amir0x

Banned
No. The 360 stance on BC is actually slowing down my purchase. I'm hard on cash already admittedly, but if I could put up my old Xbox it would ease the pain ever so slightly. Knowing that I'll have games that simply won't work on 360 for a while means I cannot trade it in.

koam

The BC on the X360 requires more emulation than on the PS3 and Rev since the components are vastly different. I doubt it will work at 100% therefore I'm not interested in it.

Don't really care that much to be honest. I'm thinking I'm going to hold onto my xbox for a while to make sure I can still play all my old classics before I let it go completely.

Satter

Banned
I will for Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. Unfortunately, I'm not interested in any of the launch titles. I think maybe I'll just wait for the price to come down when the PS3 is launched. ;)

=W=

I never bought an Xbox, so it is one feature I am looking forward to. I just hope it works right.

Bebpo

Banned
All I know is that I'm not playing NG Black until I get my X360 since I'm not going to lose my fucking save after tons of hard work. So I guess it does make me a little more excited about the system since I'll be able to play NG:Black (which will probably get more playtime in my 360 than any of the 360 games ^^;)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i'm actually in this frame of mind for PS3. I'd like to play MGS3 but i'm not going to get a PS2 at this late stage in its lifecycle.

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
No. The 360 stance on BC is actually slowing down my purchase. I'm hard on cash already admittedly, but if I could put up my old Xbox it would ease the pain ever so slightly. Knowing that I'll have games that simply won't work on 360 for a while means I cannot trade it in.

IAWTP

Since I'm not interested in just about any of the 360 launch games (launch window or not) except maybe Oblivion I would be stuck playing Xbox 1 games on it and that won't do me much good if its a crap shoot on what works or not.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd certainly LIKE to use BC as a reason to purchase X360 early since, primary among other reasons, my Xbox is starting to have disc read problems. But it's no guarantee that the XB games I want to keep will be supported anytime soon.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
No, I have an Xbox to play Xbox games on. The only reason I'm getting an Xbox 360 at launch is to play Oblivion and Ridge Racer 6 :D

Speevy

Banned
kaching said:
I'd certainly LIKE to use BC as a reason to purchase X360 early since, primary among other reasons, my Xbox is starting to have disc read problems. But it's no guarantee that the XB games I want to keep will be supported anytime soon.

Mine did that too. I hope Phantom Dust becomes one of the BC games. I love that game.

SuperPac

BC certainly sweetens the pot for me. It's not the sole reason for an early purchase, but it tips the scales more in its favor.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'm overly perplexed as to why MS hasn't announced any sort of method to transfer our hard earned saved game data to 360. They have the foresight of a morbid drunk. 10 year plan my ass.

I'm overly perplexed as to why MS hasn't announced any sort of method to transfer our hard earned saved game data to 360.

Because they have decided not to allow it, period. This is almost certainly intended to reduce hacking exploits.

trmas

Banned
BC is currently hosed on the 360. It, as well as the PS3 media, is the biggest reason I may not pick up my preorder on launch day. I'm starting to look more and more seriously at just the PS3 for many reasons.

The absolute hose-job so far from MS regarding backward compatibility is just one. If they were more clear about WHAT is backwards compatibility I'd probably get the 360 strictly for the wireless controller play with my XBox games until some AAA titles make it out.

Games like GRAW are my main arguement for actually picking up a 360, and BC is at the bottom of the list.

Juice

Oni Jazar said:
I know I am. I think just the fact that it can play Xbox games with a wireless controller is a big reason I'm getting it so soon. I know I could just buy a wireless controller now but it won't be as good and it'll be useless for the 360. I'll buy a 360 game or two but I still intend to be playing my Spiderman 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Jade Empire, Forza and more well into next year.

More AAA 360 games will come eventually and by then I'll be very happy with the purchase.

Are you kidding? Seriously, I read this three times to check to see if you were being sarcastic.

Right now, we have no reason to believe that X360 BC will be anything more than an asterisk feature. Certainly only the most popular games will even run, but a lot of stuff that really made the most oft he Xbox hardware will have the most glitches. And I'd be really averse to thinking that any of it would run 100%. I mean, I'd be thrilled if BC works perfectly, but with the amount of backpedalling and PR spinning MS is doing on it, I don't think that it's even a valid feature worth counting at this point.

Planning on buying an Xbox 360 for backwards compatibility would be like buying a swiss army knife for the shitty little pair of scissors.

Jesiatha

trmas said:
If they were more clear about WHAT is backwards compatibility I'd probably get the 360 strictly for the wireless controller play with my XBox games until some AAA titles make it out.

Perhaps they don't want to announce particular titles until they know which ones work and which ones don't?

bill0527

I've already sold my Xbox. The only games I've saved from my Xbox collection were Halo 2, GTA San Andreas, and GTA Double Pack. I'm sure all of those games should be playable on day 1 or soon after because they are definately "top selling games". I even let Ninja Gaiden go and I'll probably get Ninja Gaiden black, which I'm sure will also be playable. I read at a couple of different sites that Microsoft told their third parties several months ago to design their upcoming releases for Xbox to be playable on Xbox360.

This isn't my main reason for an early puchase, but it definately adds some value to the purchase. I have 2 main reasons for an early purchase and they hold equal weight - first reason is obviously because of the games. I can't wait to play Kameo, PD0, PGR3, and Oblivion. My 2nd main reason for the purchase is because I have a Windows XP Media Center 2005 PC and I'll be able to use the DVR features through the Xbox 360, so in essence, it'll be like Tivo without the monthly subscription fees.

Argyle

I heard a rumor that a certain high profile title and its sequel will still run better on an original Xbox than on an Xbox 360.

Personally, I wouldn't sell your Xboxes until you see how well the backwards compatibility works...

atomsk

Party Pooper
i'm using it as A reason, but obviously not THE reason.

i'd really like to play xbox 1 games in HD. and with the VGA cable i'll finally be able too. (on account of not having the cash to throw down on an HDTV right now)

Gandara

Well the number one reason I'm not purchasing an XBOX 360 early is the "unknown" factor of what exactly is backward compatable. That and I no longer feel it's worth getting a next gen system until more games are available.

If I get an X360 i'll still be keeping my Xbox for XBMC and Mame etc - so BC is not a concern for me.

X360 will not replace the functionality soft-modding my Xbox gives me.

New consoles for me are about new games, not old ones.

I heard a rumor that a certain high profile title and its sequel will still run better on an original Xbox than on an Xbox 360.

How's that fit in with the 720p rumor?

"Well, it doesn't run as smoothly on the new system, but lets go ahead and bump up the resolution".

:lol

Oni Jazar

Are you kidding? Seriously, I read this three times to check to see if you were being sarcastic.

I'm dead serious. First of all most of the Xbox games I own are the AAA best sellers: Halo, Halo2, Ninja Gaiden, Spiderman 2... I think Psi-Ops and JSRF are the only ones that might not make it on the BC list.

My Xbox is sitting there all old and busted, wires tangled to hell and back. I'm ready for the New Hotness with a better controller so I can get the latest AAA Xbox 1 titles for dirt cheap and hopefully even use the streaming audio to make them even better.

Some one mentioned GTA which is an awsome idea. I heard that San Andreas suffered from serious control issues due to the black and white buttons. This will be a thing of the past. I think I'll pick it up when I get my 360.

raYne

Who is using backwards compatability for the XB360 as a reason for an early purchase?
1491_300x435.jpg

"Oh that's a laugh"

If anything I'm delaying current gen Xbox purchases to play on the x360. I'm trying to hold out on NG Black, Fable LC etc but knowing me I'll still pick them up and start playing on my Xbox. :/

Plus between now and November is a long-ass time to not pick up anything new. For me at least.

nubbe

Backwards compatability wont really matter if they don't support XBL on X360, your missing like 98% of the fun.

pj

Banned
OXM said they expect 360 to be BC with between 5 and 20 games at launch, so I hope nobody is using it as a reason for early purchase.

MoxManiac

I can't afford one AND get the PS3 at launch, so i won't be getting one for awhile. I'm trying my damnedest to win one in the pepsi sweepstakes, though :lol

I'm just curious if its going to be 100% BC.

I wouldn't mind getting Metal Slug 3-5, King of Fighters 2002/2003, and other underground favorites if they would get supported. I don't see why they wouldn't but you never know.

Top Bottom