• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here played The Bard’s Tale 4 Director’s Cut?

Siri

Banned
TLDR: This game is difficult.

I began my first game playing on normal. The first little dungeon area was quite enjoyable as I began to learn the game mechanics.

Then, above ground, still very early in the game, I got involved in a fight that I barely scraped past. This was followed by another tough fight, which kind of woke me up a bit. Then about an hour later I found myself stuck in a dungeon (I was following the main quest) and ran into a fight with a wizard ten times my strength who continually spawned little trolls (three at a time, btw) who were twice my strength and would one-hit half my party with suicide bombs.

I’ve finally decided, having tried to get past this ‘normal‘ fight (about 50 times now), that my party is gimped, and I’ll have to re-start the game in order to advance beyond where I‘m at now. I’m about 6 hours in, btw.

I mean, Dark Souls gave me fewer headaches than this. Did any of you find this game to be surprisingly difficult?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yeah it had some really extreme difficulty spikes. I ended up playing it on Normal or maybe even on Easy - not sure which.

Gabbelgak

I just started and have been playing here and there. I put it on the highest difficulty, perhaps I made a mistake in the long run lol. So far it's not that bad but I'm not very far, just rescued the trapped elves.

Siri

Banned
I just started and have been playing here and there. I put it on the highest difficulty, perhaps I made a mistake in the long run lol. So far it's not that bad but I'm not very far, just rescued the trapped elves.

Get back to me. Because for me, in the wizard’s dungeon, the game just spiked. It was a total WTF moment. I’m pissed because my Christmas vacation is over and now I’ll be returning to work with this unfinished business on my mind. I can’t stand it when I can’t figure a game out. It was just.... unexpected.

Downloaded it from Gamepass. I was intrigued early on, but there's so much shit going on that I dropped it after about 12 hours or so. I had heard that it was difficult and newcomers should start it on easy, so I followed that advice. The fights weren't too bad but SO MANY PUZZLES.

Siri

Banned
Downloaded it from Gamepass. I was intrigued early on, but there's so much shit going on that I dropped it after about 12 hours or so. I had heard that it was difficult and newcomers should start it on easy, so I followed that advice. The fights weren't too bad but SO MANY PUZZLES.

Jesus. That’s the starter-advice, is it... begin on Easy.

The thing is, I can’t stand it when a game gets the better of me. I’ll obsess over a game that’s difficult to the exclusion of all other games.

Anyway, it looks like I have my answer. I Googled this and saw people complaining about the game being ‘too easy’. LOL.

Too easy?? Yeah, right. I think 'easy' mode in this is like 'normal' in the majority of other games. I still died, but it never felt unfair or insurmountable. And apparently as the game progresses easy mode gets hard, too.

Top Bottom