• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else still hungry for a Cyberpunk open world done right?

More Cyberpunk?

• No, I've had enough.

Votes: 46 25.4%
  • Yes please.

Votes: 135 74.6%

• Total voters
Imo most developers either don't have the balls or the creative insight to pull off a legitimate Blade Runner game. Some are probably just busy with other creative ideas altogether.

Those that love the Blader Runner stories and that sort of world-building know when something is successfully in the vein of Blade Runner and when it's not; with the recently revealed Black Lotus series serving as a prime example of not understanding your source material.

To extrapolate on your point, it's not just about getting the aesthetic down, but also understanding the tone and themes being explored in Blade Runner stories are also crucial.
The world has to be a primary focus, characters need to respect the logic and rules of the Blade Runner timeline. I'd expect a detail-oriented open world, with respect to AI behaviors and map design.
The map design can't just be a generic cyberpunk megacity. It would have to be a thoughtful interpretation of future Los Angles within the Blade Runner timeline.
Especially if it's going to be open-world. It can't just be a vast map to pilot a spinner from point A to B, as fun as that might be. There need to be worthwhile interesting motivations to pilot your spinner to a certain destination, and I'm not talking about another NPC fetch quest or fighting some enemy either. I think that characters in this world would have to be very well realized in order to be effective.

An open-world in what I would consider a legit Blade Runner would have to be Rockstar's quality of open-world design and attention to detail. RDR2 made me realize how extremely good Rockstar is with thematic settings. The immersion was insane, even despite some of what I would consider as flaws. I need to be able to get truly lost in that Blade Runner world.

I am curious, who would be your ideal developer(s) to pull off an open-world Blade Runner game?
I mean rockstar by far. They are the only ones who seem to know how to make the world feel real enough in the way it needs to - maybe bethesda can do it too? But I wouldn’t want it to control like shit. The truth is you are right that it goes beyond the aesthetic - I haven’t seen the new series but 2049 captured it. First it has to be noir, and have the cops and characters deeply developed as well as synthetic life forms - like it doesn’t need to be all about augments and shit. And it needs to be grounded - right now I’d trust Rockstar to have the best attempt at making the world - bethesda would have a good grasp on the object interactivity and hopefully quests so maybe them second. I guess it would be an extremely large undertaking to do it right, I believe if rockstar really tried they could though.

I agree with you on this one, simply that I'd rather have Rockstar North focus on GTA VI as it already is vs changing it to jump on Scifi stuff, that isn't to say I wouldn't want them to work on such a concept, maybe another Rockstar team though.

They have the talent for it.
I honestly would take them doing a new type of open world over another GTA, I feel like there’s only so far you can go with that series and rdr, they did the Wild West, they did la, ny, vice city, London, I want them to put that type of effort into something sci-fi or fantastical personally. Just my taste I guess but no one really comes close to them in this area - would prefer sci-fi since the fantasy stuff has been done a lot more.

I am genuinely asking, what's the defining difference between Open world and Sandbox game.

Where does Just Cause, Skyrim and No Man's sky falls ?

elder scrolls comes from the world of rpg....it being open is merely a way you experience it.

just cause and no mans sky are not rpg's....just cause focuses on action and mechanics for example and maneuvers that within an open world.

despite them being "open" they are different genres. they aren't the same thing just because they are open....wait do some people think they are? ohhh i'm seeing the root of the problem now.

So because just cause is based around action and mechanics it's priorities in design are entirely different. for example it may have more freedom in it's mechanics than an elder scrolls game ever will, whereas elder scrolls will do certain that just cause will never do.

Armorian

Banned
Cops chasing your car and great traffic ai - the most important aspects of RPG game...

Some people really wanted cp to be future GTA or something, it's good that CDPR focused on more inportant aspects for this game (quests quality, story, gameplay).

You can play with cops in watch dogs legion if that is fun to you.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Cops chasing your car and great traffic ai - the most important aspects of RPG game...

Some people really wanted cp to be future GTA or something, it's good that CDPR focused on more inportant aspects for this game (quests quality, story, gameplay).

You can play with cops in watch dogs legion if that is fun to you.
Or maybe they should have made a more linear game if the open world aspect was going to be just above No More Hero's tier.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Or maybe they should have made a more linear game if the open world aspect was going to be just above No More Hero's tier.

Open world serves as a tool in this game to connect everything.

But i wouldn't mind more linear and focused experience. Witcher 2 is better in some aspects than W3.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Deus Ex Coffee GIF by Eidos-Montréal

TastyPastry

where is the dlc by the way? it's been 8 months and all we got were a couple patches fixing quest bugs. no changes to the game's balance, no QoL features, no nothing.

EDMIX

I honestly would take them doing a new type of open world over another GTA, I feel like there’s only so far you can go with that series and rdr, they did the Wild West, they did la, ny, vice city, London, I want them to put that type of effort into something sci-fi or fantastical personally. Just my taste I guess but no one really comes close to them in this area - would prefer sci-fi since the fantasy stuff has been done a lot more.

I don't disagree with you based on what we personally both like with sci fi, simply that GTA is the bread and butter that even gets us to such a new IP, so I think both is needed.

I'm keeping that dream practical and realistic lol

I also agree with Bethesda being a team that can pull such a thing off as well as their worlds and Rockstar's worlds are some of the best in the industry in terms of AI, NPC, community, interactions etc. One of the few teams that can tell you their AI legit has entire cycles of doing daily shit and actually mean it for real lol

@PleaseDontBanMe
thats anime

live action or daylight in games, its true

? huh? Sir...thats Art Direction.

The contrast with night and day you are seeing is not something exclusive to anime lol The Film Ghost In The Shell is literally mimicking and using impressionism of real life to get that effect, they didn't just invent reality or something when those shots were done, so yes.....it is something that clearly can be done in a video game.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
The contrast with night and day you are seeing is not something exclusive to anime lol The Film Ghost In The Shell is literally mimicking and using impressionism of real life to get that effect, they didn't just invent reality or something when those shots were done, so yes.....it is something that clearly can be done in a video game.
100%.

The artists involved with the production were very mindful about capturing realistic elements in GITS '95.
Gi-TS20210810-0000.png

Ghost-In-The-Shell-1995-1.gif

EDMIX

I personally prefer a "hub world" (Deus Ex, Bioshock, Prey) to open world, but the latter obviously sells a lot better.

I like both concepts, but only if they are done right. I saw no reason for them to do a open world game, if they couldn't actually do that concept correctly. That shit felt like Baby's First Video game on VHS

Del_X

I kinda feel like CDPR will have this game made if they revamp a lot of the underlying systems/abilities/stats trees in Cyberpunk 2077. I played a few hours, didn't like the loot system or apparent lack of meaningful builds. Maybe they address this stuff with the relaunch.

I love the Cyberpunk aesthetic. One of my favorite PC games growing up was Syndicate Wars. So all gladly play another open world game of the same setting.

But I've got to be honest gang. I really enjoy CDPR's Cyberpunk. Sometimes I'll boot it up just to run around and shoot gangs up. Only gameplay breaking glitch I've encountered so far caused a Psycho to get stuck on geometry and I was ok with that.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I love the Cyberpunk aesthetic. One of my favorite PC games growing up was Syndicate Wars. So all gladly play another open world game of the same setting.

But I've got to be honest gang. I really enjoy CDPR's Cyberpunk. Sometimes I'll boot it up just to run around and shoot gangs up. Only gameplay breaking glitch I've encountered so far caused a Psycho to get stuck on geometry and I was ok with that.
I've tried playing it like that but the shooting is just not fun with that weird enemy and world AI.

Like how much cooler would it have been if the Cops would interfere with your fights with gangs coming in on their flying automobiles (or even grounded ffs) if they saw you?

It just totally fell short of a cyberpunk world in everything but the visuals.

Last edited:

Yoboman

o and to the people who think the a.i in GTA is fine

Nobody claimed GTAV never has moments where AI does dumb things or bugs out. But even in your examples there is a level of dynamicness to the AI that Cyberpunk does not have

Cyberpunk fails as a sandbox because the AI is extremely scripted - they don't do unexpected things. You pull a gun and they all crouch down exactly the same or don't react at all

Top Bottom