• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else still hungry for a Cyberpunk open world done right?

More Cyberpunk?

• No, I've had enough.

Votes: 46 25.4%
  • Yes please.

Votes: 135 74.6%

• Total voters

Woggleman

I admit all the other problems but Night City is one of the most visually impressive open worlds I have played. If they can take this art direction and combine it with Rockstar level of detail and TLOU 2 level combat then we would have a winner on our hands. It feels like CDPR got halfway through creating something truly great then just said the hell with it half assed it the other half of the way.

Its not going to happen but I agree. CDPR spent a bazillion dollars and like 8 years and we got what we got. I actually enjoyed the hell out of CP2077 on PC but it is not what I expected.
It's got promise for sure. I also didn't expect the current game. I expected a lot more and they led us believe we'll get a lot more with the run up to release talking about bribe systems in the police and other features that never made it into the final game.

There's promise but I think for their original vision, they need a much bigger team to pull off in an acceptable timeframe.

Mozzarella

I think i had enough, the Cyberpunk genre was cool and interesting in the 80's and 90's. Nowadays its just recycled ideas and unreachable expectations.
What usually happens is some developer announce a Cyberpunk game, everyone will draw some shape based on their imagination on how the Cyberpunk setting should be structured, from all themes, political, social, visuals, lore..etc. After doing that when the actual game or movie gets made the expectations will clash with reality and for each group of people if you dont make what they imagined as Cyberpunk they will be disappointed, they will start to call it not doing good job on this or that, shallow here or there, but in the end all of what this genre had to say or do already said or did, its an outdated genre at this point and thats why i dont think any new Cyberpunk game or movie will reach the classics from the 80's and 90's. The best shot is to make a remake xD.

Also i want to point out that Rockstar praise is just annoying, too many people praise them for the interactivity and the visuals, which are good, they have huge budgets and they spend years crunching on their games to make the world interactive and pretty, but aside from that they are still using the same outdated mission design, the same outdated gameplay, the same outdated plot points. Its all so similar, they play it safe and they dont innovate. A very overrated developer, still good at what they do, but they dont deserve such praise, and their annoying fanbase is part of the reason this game may go for the shallow route of fixing police chases and A.I instead of fixing it to make it more of a deep RPG with great gameplay. But no the Rockstar crowd doesnt care about any of that, they just want interactive chores that bores me and mindless gore and police chase.
People always call Fromsoft OTP, but they make more variety of games than Naughty Dog and Rockstar. Only in the previous generation they have made Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro and now Elden Ring. Rockstar just made RDR2 and GTA5 for new gen? lol. Naughty Dog just made Uncharted 4 and TLOU2? similar structure with different narrative and characters. Why nobody calls them out but instead says Fromsoft are making Dark Souls 4 in Elden Ring? no idea.

"Cyberpunk 2134" is probably the best shot.

don't see anyone touching the cyberpunk genre in a meaningful way and we all know CDPR will make future Cyberpunk games. it's not a one off. yes 2077 has issues but it's the first game they've made that isn't Witcher. they were overly ambitious and tried to do a lot of new stuff they hadn't done before (guns/cars etc). if you look at the first Witcher game and compare it to the second game....feel almost like totally different games. the difference is more significant if you compare it to 3.

The problem with Rockstar is we're lucky to see their staple franchises like Red Dead and GTA once a decade, they won't make this game.

Ubi would probably be a far more likely AAA developer to throw their name in the hat after CDPR, and while they're not the absolute best in the business, they can make a far better sandbox than CDPR.

Once ubisoft can make a witcher 3, cp 2077 or match the quest quality/ presentation of CDPR only then would I say they can make a better anything...

jesus how disrespectful have we become that we're saying ubisoft would be better at an open world RPG than CDPR....

They've made mediocre open worlds...far more mediocre and unambitious than CP 2077. c'mon guys.

Nah, it's because people who play open world sandbox's regularly know a dead, lifeless world when they play one.

Why are you comparing a game that is clearly and obviously designed to me more of an open world rpg in the terms of the witcher 3, to a sandbox like GTA V or ubisoft games?

you do understand that these are different right? Do you compare the witcher 3 to the a.i. in GTA? Because CP 2077 design philosophy mirrors the witcher 3 more than a sandbox game....which makes fucking sense considering it's designed by the...same people; who on more occasions described it as an open world RPG.

Did you not follow the game? do you not know this dev very well? Do guns and driving mean....GTA competitor out the gate to you?

1000% this.

It felt like they were more focused on it simply looking good vs actually being a real game with features that make sense. I got nothing against the artist btw, they did their fucking jobs on that game, fuck those in charge that even made it this horrid Great Value Borderlands shooter with dumb as bricks AI.

Its so sad to play cause you literally see, what it could have been if done by a better team.

Give that shit to MS, Ubisoft, Take Two, Square, Sony...anyone makes a better game then what we got. This game is dead ass struggling to meet 2001 standards with AI, I've never seen something like this in AAA gaming and hope to god I never see that type of shit again.

I'm more hype for Bethesda or Ubisoft or Eidos etc to give us a open world cyberpunk game. At least we know they know how to fucking make game that actually work with features that make sense. Regardless of how folks felt about Watchdogs 3, at least that game was exactly what it was marketed to be with actual AI.

I believe so, but they haven't given out much details. I believe it will be like Fallout or Elder Scrolls in space, like where the ship is like a mount and you can put things in the ship and go from place to place and do quest, but locations like in Elder Scrolls and Fallout will be limited, but with much depth. Thats what I'm assuming anyway based on their past games. Thats just a guess from me. I'm assuming randomly you can come across abandoned ships and search them or take them over, find new ship mates etc.

I wish that was the case, but this game needs so much more work, like literally being a different game. I think Ubisoft, Take Two have many teams that can pull this off way better.

Agreed. We are not even just talking about a fresh coat of paint and fixing JUST the bugs, the game literally is broken in just too many areas to the point of them needing to literally make a different game. Fuck it and move on to Witcher 4 and learn the damn lessons for Cyberpunk 2077-2 or 2078 or what ever the fuck they calling it lol

I disagree, I'd say Ubisoft is elite in this area of open world. Let me plead my case Casey lol

Ubisoft not only can bring out massive open world titles, they can do many titles during the generation, they don't need 8 years or 13 years of hype or anything like that (don't bring up Beyond Good and Evil, dats no fair, ima just avoid talking about dat game lol)

During this generation, the open world titles they put out

Far Cry 4, Primal, 5 and 6 (land, air and sea)
AC Unity (they are able to have trouble, spot the fix and regroup), Syndicate, larger word in Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla
Able to do new IPs last gen like
Immortals
Watchdogs 1,2 and 3 which mind you litearlly has a laundry list of features Cyberpunk 2077 scrapped, got rid of, couldn't do or just out right lied about
The Division 1 and 2

Need I go on?

I'm not saying any of those are the greatest games of all time, but the quality exist, the games are functional and they are able to properly allocate resources to fund games to allow them to be as grand as they are vs trying to short change developers and fans by cutting content and trying to force a team of 500 to do the work of 1000.

They put 15 studios to work on Valhalla, we got a game that is working, has features promised, no massive controversy and people asking for their money, lawsuits, remove from PSN etc lol

So I feel Rockstar even putting 8 of their teams on Red Dead 2, shows Ubisoft has a concept that fits and makes sense and I'd trust them to not only do this title better then CDPR, but rival the majority of studios. I'd argue, several of the things even scrapped from Cyberpunk or missing, exist in many of Ubisoft's titles this very generation, what is to stop Ubisoft from making Far Cry 7 aka Far Cry 77 and just add in cop chases, the AI we see in Watchdogs, the hacking and tech we see in Watchdogs, the land air and sea concept we see in Far Cry etc? It can be done and they just have the pieces to put together and proven teams to make it happen.

At least we got several of those a generation for them to fix, refine etc vs every 8 years lol
every single ubisoft game you listed was some uninspired bro shit, that wasn't nearly as good as cyberpunk 2077....nor have they made anything as good as the witcher 3 this generation despite all of their output. they are incapable of making a game like that.

the fact that you are listing those in comparison loses you major credibility. wake me up when ubisoft can even make a witcher 3, I rather play the game of the dev that can make that, than play the cybperunk game from the people that made watchdogs, and recycled assasins creed games. We know it'll be repetitive and uncreative.

Kenpachii

I still feel like the Cyberpunk open world dream needs to be realized. 2077 felt like fools gold to me because the world, while beautiful, was completely detached from the feeling of being highly advanced and was actually very crude and rudimentary.

The problem is it will probably take a major developer to accomplish such a game even though Cyberpunk theme has been trending all generation.

artur-sadlos-future-tokyo-003-wip004i.jpg

The fact i can't get a car that fly's makes cyberpunk just feels like a gta reskin to me. It just doesn't bring anything to the table other then RT and that's about it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Cyberpunk 2077 would need more than a "No Man's Sky" approach to fixing the game. They need a "FFXIV: A Realm Reborn" type of effort to fix this game. It needs to be re-released as a different game altogether.

I think the world is so fundamentally broken in terms of AI, physics and fine detail that it would take a hell of a lot of money or a miracle to fix it. Like a house built on an unstable foundation. I would like to hope though.
That's exactly how I feel about Halo Infinite, but people believe 343 fixed it...

Marty-McFly

Banned
Why are you comparing a game that is clearly and obviously designed to me more of an open world rpg in the terms of the witcher 3, to a sandbox like GTA V or ubisoft games?

you do understand that these are different right? Do you compare the witcher 3 to the a.i. in GTA? Because CP 2077 design philosophy mirrors the witcher 3 more than a sandbox game....which makes fucking sense considering it's designed by the...same people; who on more occasions described it as an open world RPG.

Did you not follow the game? do you not know this dev very well? Do guns and driving mean....GTA competitor out the gate to you?
CDPR's background is not important here. If they can't develop a competent open world then they need to either drop the open world thing and build games that better focus on their strengths.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Once ubisoft can make a witcher 3, cp 2077 or match the quest quality/ presentation of CDPR only then would I say they can make a better anything...

jesus how disrespectful have we become that we're saying ubisoft would be better at an open world RPG than CDPR....

They've made mediocre open worlds...far more mediocre and unambitious than CP 2077. c'mon guys.
Ubisoft is leagues ahead of CDPR in the open world component. CDPR are only better at the RPG part. You should be able to differentiate the two, and hopefull CDPR can as well in their next release so the entire game comes together seamlessly and is not just a RPG being bogged down by a subpar open world.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Rockstar are the only ones that could do such large, complex and dense worlds justice, I think CDPR gave it a good go but I hope they go back to making more Witcher-esque games.

Open world part (traffic ai, pedestrians ai etc.) is clearly better in Rockstar but what's to do in their titles besides main storyline? Nothing...

Oh and gameplay mechanics in both GTA5 and RDR2 are shit.

WizeVibez

Banned
2077 is a great open world cyberpunk game.

Just because it's not a Rockstar game doesn't mean it's not accomplishing plenty in it's own right.

Hell, Shadows of Doubt is shaping up to be one of the better realized cyberpunk-noir games ever and it's made by a very small team, possibly just one guy for the most part.

EDMIX

every single ubisoft game you listed was some uninspired bro shit, that wasn't nearly as good as cyberpunk 2077

I disagree, the fucking fact that those games have features Cyberpunk was unable to even fucking do shows they clearly have better teams.

The dumbasses couldn't even have proper NPC AI, as in cops can't drive cars, yet chase you in Watchdogs.

They scraped the whole train riding, yet that exist in Watchdogs 1, the first fucking game had this in 2013, GTA III had this circa 2001 foh lol

I'm not doing this whole thing based on what you think is "good" or not, simply that they aimed for something UBISOFT HAS DONE several times with ease, so who am I to question what they can do, when CDPR is fucking struggling to make 1 fucking game that can match anything Ubisoft has done or even Rockstar? They are literally fighting to even MEET 2001 standards at this point to really be out here pretending they made something better then Ubisoft.

Nah. They literally, FACTUALLY do not have features that are normal in other open worlds, by publishers that have deep histories of being able to pull this off.

If anything, you need to prove to us what the fuck was even done in Cyberpunk 2077 that was one of kind, never done before, beyond the standard etc.

nor have they made anything as good as the witcher 3
I also disagree greatly, as someone that owns Witcher 3 day 1, I like Odyssey better. We can go back and forth on what we both think is "good" or "better" or anything like that, but the fact remains that CDPR isn't really doing much that Ubisoft's teams can't do in terms of function, objective features etc, in fact its CDPR that is missing many features and functions vs Ubisoft.

the fact that you are listing those in comparison loses you major credibility

You don't need to like shit to see they can do those features. I don't know why you think you NEED to fucking love all those IP to understand the point, I don't even fucking like all those games listed, but I'm listing it to prove a publisher exist that has many teams that have made open worlds with features CDPR struggled with Cyberpunk

Looking back, I realize Ubisoft pulled off a lot of great things in Watchdogs 1 thats quite funny when you notice thats the same fucking shit 7 years later CP2077 struggles to match feature by feature. Which one you or I like is irrelevant, what is relevant is the features scrapped by CDPR, are things Ubisoft can do, has done and will likely continue to put in their titles.

So I give the nod to Ubisoft based on their teams ablitly to do those things well, as in at all vs cops that cant drive cars, AI that doesn't exist, trains stations that don't exist cause the team clearly isn't as good as a 7 year old game.

The fuck is stopping Ubisoft from just making Far Cry 7 in the future and having all the features CP2077 DIDN'T have? Think about it...

They both can do a hacking concept.
They can already do land, air and sea, CDPR can't.
The can do cop AI THAT CHASES YOU IN CARS. CDPR Can't.
They can do a train station filled with NPCs and functional. CDPR can't.

At this point, Ubisoft doing such a thing is more likely to exist as a FUNCTIONAL GAME vs CDPR, regardless of how you think about the publisher, they factually did those features before, yet CDPR struggled on a 7 year blueprint that Ubisoft has done so many times with so many IP, its why I feel they'd actually do a decent job on such a concept based on them factually already doing said features.

Nothing on "good" or "bad", simply that this exist regardless of your feelings bud.

have a good one...

EDMIX

Cause they have the features that CDPR can't do and scrapped, so we really can't just say CDPR would do this or that better, when they literally scrapped shit Ubisoft has done for years with ease.

Prove your point

Give the objective list and we can talk about it, but Ubisoft having those features and CDPR struggling to meet 2001 AI and features doesn't really help, your whole fucking point can't really be "c'mon guys" lol

Your whole post are just, you like a game and its "good" and or "c'mon guys".

So can't keep claiming it was not meant to be this or that, in a game where they literally got rid of features trying to be those games, in a game where it literally has a star system and cops go after you for doing crimes, clearly they are fucking trying to be that concept, yet failed at it in almost every area.

So you telling me because its not GTA, the AI must be fucking stupid or? It must be caveman dumb? ONLY GTA can have cops that drive cars? Since this is not GTA, they made the cops have no ability to drive or? Because that doesn't happen in real life and ONLY GTA created that concept? =)

Its really hard to tell someone that humans behaving as humans is now a "GTA" concept and to make humans act like humans is simply to copy GTA and that isn't what CP2077 is going for, it sounds weird and simply a excuse to cover the teams inability to do those features. Yet you are doubting the ability of Ubisofts teams to do such concepts, when they've successfully pulled off those concepts?

What are we to say they can't do?

Ubisoft can't do what they already fucking did in several games? Huh?

They have an open world with trains, cop chases, hacking, AI that actually hunts for you and fights back, using land, air and sea etc who is to say putting this in FPS like Far Cry doesn't make a functionally better game?

It would literally already have the features CDPR can't do as proven by CP2077, nothing to do with "good" or "bad" or if you like it or I like it, I don't even play their games like that, but clearly they can do those features as they fucking have them in their games.

So I'm siding with reality on this one bud, they did the features, thus I believe they can pull such a thing off with some future Far Cry 77 RPG reboot etc

CDPR's background is not important here. If they can't develop a competent open world then they need to either drop the open world thing and build games that better focus on their strengths.
This game did focus on their strengths, I fully expected it to be strong at the things the witcher 3 was strong at, and thus was actually surprised at how the gunplay etc were above fallout etc. You however, used no context and developed your own ideals. their background should have given you a direct indication of what the game would be. Its called deductive reasoning...

You just knew what YOU wanted and were actually disconnected from what they were going for. You're wrong here man.

Start comparing it to the witcher 3, and thing make alot more sense...the first person and cars thing literally is throwing you off isnt it lmao

Open world RPG, is what this game was described as over 20 different occasions in development. Why would an RPG dev suddenly go full GTA

EDMIX

You just knew what YOU wanted and were actually disconnected from what they were going for.
They are the ones telling us about wanting a train system that they can't do, they are the ones telling us about a living world where the NPCs are dumb as bricks...
Start comparing it to the witcher 3, and thing make alot more sense
Nah, this is a game about the future, not the past.
Why would an RPG dev suddenly go full GTA

Ask them, they have a fucking open world game with cars, crime, cops that react to your crime, yet don't drive, AI that can't hunt you and is limited etc.

They are the ones doing this sir, cops chasing you in a car, swat teams showing up and helicopters going after you isn't a GTA concept, that is simply something that will occur in a real world scenario as to why it happens in other open world games and as to why it fucking happens IN REAL LIFE!

Why would a RPG not fucking have those roles being played sir? =)

Can't "its not GTA" your way out of that one man...

To argue GTA did it, thus means they shouldn't have it makes no fucking sense even remotely, lots of what we are talking about exist in GTA because it exist in real life, thus fits in any open world concept trying to make a um "living breathing world", as to why the cops come after you for committing crimes in CP2077, why wouldn't that be seen as "GTA" as a negative to you?

EDMIX

Ubisoft games are technically good but they lack soul. Cyberpunk 2077 has a ton of problems but it does have a soul to it and that puts it over for me.

No clue what you are talking about.

I try to only put out objective features to talk about this vs soul, mood, feel, charm etc shit that can't be measured that anyone can say.

Fuck, I can say AC has a "soul" or Watchdogs has a "soul" etc. One must be able to quantify their views, opinions etc vs "feels" or "souls" or "charms" when such things are not really measurable as anyone can argue this.

FEATURES put something above for me, I still need to fucking play a functional game. So even if I feel a charm or "soul" exist in something, first it still needs to fully meet features, functions of its peers and what its promising in the first place. As in, I can't just say BF 2042 has a "soul" and at release the fucking game doesn't work, or stripped of features that was promised, or lacks features from basic FPS titles etc. I only put such a thing into consideration if the game still meets a critira and lets say I feel both games are even, I might side with one based on feels, " souls" etc.

What am I to really say about Ubisofts teams? They work hard to deliver massive titles with features OTHERS are unable to do and that don't have a "ton of problems" they should work on "souls" instead?

CP2077 is trying to sell an idea they are incapable of actually doing and has a ton of problems

Ubisoft is selling a concept they can pull off, execute and deliver

I have to give props to the teams that do the features and can pull it off vs a team that lied, couldn't even do 2001 concepts and had tons of issues at that. They are simply attempting to do once, what Ubisoft functionally did many times last gen. Why should I ignore that in favor of "charm" or "souls"?

edit. keep in mind, I got CP2077 day 1 based on what they promised, put about 50 hours in and overall feel most of the game is a failure, what is done well is the gunplay, but its even more sad cause the lack of any real AI makes even that part weaker then it could have been, to the point of feeling like you are shooting fish in barrel. It feels better as a Borderlands clone, trying to be some Great Value version of that, but to play it as a genuine RPG I feel is a massive fail as the whole game is just some skill tree shit funny enough, JUST like the Far Cry, Watchdogs shit lol

So I didn't buy Watchdogs 3, but its clear what that team marketed, pulled off makes more sense then CP2077. Ubisoft simply makes a better open world, better functional game with features that help support the narrative of that world

Last edited:

Woggleman

Ubisoft games are like a singer who is technically great but has no feeling behind their voice and the music they make. They are done well but they have no vibe and it is very hard to get immersed in them. Cyberpunk 2077 is like a poorly produced punk album that still lets the passion and vibe shine through. Some people won't be able to get past the awful mixing and muddy sound but the feel and vibe is just crazy. That is how I feel about Cyberpunk.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The AI in Cyberpunk was definitely a step back from The Witcher 3 but everything else about the game was done right. It is honestly shocking how bad the NPC's are in the game; I really wonder how - out of all the missteps - this was the one that made it to final.

. . .also Deus Ex is a good series but it isn't even close to the same level as W3/Cyberpunk/UBI open-world in terms of scale or immersion. Surprised by some of the comments otherwise; doesn't mean DE was a bad game at all but it was no-where open/free as CP (definitely not RDR2/GTAV).

Last edited:

WizeVibez

Banned
The AI in Cyberpunk was definitely a step back from The Witcher 3 but everything else about the game was done right. It is honestly shocking how bad the NPC's are in the game; I really wonder how - out of all the missteps -

. . .also Deus Ex is a good series but it isn't even close to the same level as W3/Cyberpunk/UBI open-world in terms of scale or immersion. Surprised by some of the comments otherwise; doesn't mean DE was a bad game at all but it was no-where open/free as CP (definitely not RDR2/GTAV).
Deus Ex is top tier immersive sim, and I loved CP2077 because it tried to be an immersive sim in a huge open world.
Many encounters feel like a small level built to be handled in many different ways by the player, with a half assed GTA open world in between missions.

If CP2077 would have put even a little effort into making cops more interesting, I would have almost no complaints with the game that I played.

Nah, this is a game about the future, not the past.

lol dude, you're literally using Ubisoft's past track record in order argue that they'd make a better cyberpunk game....

you're doing the same exact thing...talk about cognitive dissonance.

and if you're speaking about the game itself, in literal terms....like as in the witcher 3 takes place in the past and cyberpunk in the future...then holy shit; I mean in terms of design man lol it doesn't matter what time it takes place in whether its fallout 3, or Oblivion or Cyberpunk and the witcher 3. They can have similar design philosophies regardless of the setting...so long as they are the same genre, which they are.

Ask them, they have a fucking open world game with cars, crime, cops that react to your crime, yet don't drive, AI that can't hunt you and is limited etc.

Do you have this same logic towards the witcher 3, in terms of guards not chasing you or puting you in jail like Oblivion? I'm just trying to see how you are processing the values of different video games here.
They are the ones doing this sir, cops chasing you in a car, swat teams showing up and helicopters going after you isn't a GTA concept, that is simply something that will occur in a real world scenario as to why it happens in other open world games and as to why it fucking happens IN REAL LIFE!

Why would a RPG not fucking have those roles being played sir? =)

Can't "its not GTA" your way out of that one man...

To argue GTA did it, thus means they shouldn't have it makes no fucking sense even remotely, lots of what we are talking about exist in GTA because it exist in real life, thus fits in any open world concept trying to make a um "living breathing world", as to why the cops come after you for committing crimes in CP2077, why wouldn't that be seen as "GTA" as a negative to you?
When did anyone make the argument that because GTA did it, that means they shouldn't have it?

We are telling you that that aspect of the game, isn't nearly the focus as it is in a sandbox like GTA where you don't build up a character at all nor loot items, craft, level, have branching quests etc.

No clue what you are talking about.

I try to only put out objective features to talk about this vs soul, mood, feel, charm etc shit that can't be measured that anyone can say.

Fuck, I can say AC has a "soul" or Watchdogs has a "soul" etc. One must be able to quantify their views, opinions etc vs "feels" or "souls" or "charms" when such things are not really measurable as anyone can argue this.

That's because I suspect you clearly dont have any respect or taste for artistic nuance. Please never make a video game lol you even have the most soul-less metal gear in your avi; which I bet your dumbfounded as to how I would say that.

let me educate on what he means regarding Soul, I shouldn't have to teach a "gamer" this. But here we are:

lets take say....even how a quest is presented in the descriptions:

the witcher 3:

Witcher-3-Envoys-Wineboys-mission.jpg
2840895-7892582695-CftQHBlXIAIEIAX.jpg%3Aorig

Skyrim:

ii4TS.jpg

which has "soul"? this is a test for you, your answer will depend on whether or not I would shudder at the idea of you ever making anything creative lol

cyberpunk:
sorted-menus-1.jpeg

assassins creed odyssey:

2018_10_12_16.30.14_Screenshot.png

which one seems phoned in, which one seems like the devs actually give a fuck.

this is one example of "soul". and even within this small example is a grand indication of the level of effort within the entirety of the game, small things lead to bigger things. and you can't showcase that type of love when you releasing games every year on a business schedule like ubisoft does.

But I see you're pretty black and white lol So these things aren't noticeable to you, otherwise ubisofts current practices would bother you

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Meh, starting to reach the state of WW2 games where if someone announces one, what used to be fresh is kind of been played.

EDMIX

lol dude, you're literally using Ubisoft's past track record in order argue that they'd make a better cyberpunk game....

Why would I not? They JUST made Watchdogs 3 with cop chases sir, don't talk about that even though clearly Cyberpunk was unable to?

huh?

Nah man, you want soft ball fake crititsium ignore Cyberpunk's faults.

I see zero evdience that Ubisoft was able to have a train station running and working in Watchdogs 1, yet couldn't do such a thing in some Cyberpunk esk FPS title in the future if they felt just.

When did anyone make the argument that because GTA did it, that means they shouldn't have it?
Because your whole fucking argument is "its not GTA" as if it needs to be to have fucking cops driving cars. GTA did not invent that idea sir, its not as if such a thing never occurred in human existence and Rockstar is out here teaching real police officers that they can get in cars to chase people.
We are telling you that that aspect of the game, isn't nearly the focus
LOL!

It "isn't" any of those other titles clearly cause the team simply can't do it.

Thats it.

Its why they have a star system.

Its why they have cops coming after you, but not in cars.

But fuck me man, it isn't "focused" cause it not GTA? Clearly its trying to be and failing at it.

Basically we can just argue all things that fail in a game is cause ummm "isn't nearly the focus" and always claim any fucking fault is that, as if the game was made to have cops run on foot, in a world where cars exist, in a world where YOU can drive a car, with zero explain anywhere in the narrative or story on WHY the cops can't do the same.

Sounds like a load of BS to me. The team can't do those concepts.

Period.

Don't give a fuck what game you like or don't like or thinks is good or not. They have a star system, cops chasing you for breaking the law on foot, you can't really be out here making it sound like those failures are just "features" or the game is a "different focus" lol Its a fail bud.

Take the L and move on.

Ubisoft can do a train system, cause they have.
Ubisoft can do actual AI that hunts you, cause they have.
Ubisoft can do NPCs that drive cars as COPS CHASING YOU, cause they have.
Ubisoft can do land, air and sea in a open world, cause they have.

This has nothing to fucking do with your feelings man, they have FACTUALLY done those things, CDPR STRUGGLES to do a fraction of that with 8 years development. Get over it...

(added to ignore list btw=)

Last edited:

Inviusx

I dont think we're going to see something on the level of Cyberpunk for a long time. I'm not saying Cyberpunk is a good game but no other company is going to burn that much money building something like that from ground up ever again.

EDMIX

3 people working on this. Doesn't look like the most sophisticated open world but it looks fun.

Sad, that shit already looks better then Cyberpunk 2077....

Inviusx Inviusx I disagree. I believe we are going to see many teams do some futuristic open world concepts cause at the least, Cyberpunks numbers in sales show gamers want this concept, they simply want it by a team thats not a complete dumbass and trying to force a team of 500 to do the work of 1500 etc.

So trust, many publishers are looking at that 13 mill figure and likely realize they can do better with trusted teams that have actually done such features before in other series. Its all about how its applied. Its not like we've never gotten a game with cars, in a city with trains before.

All this is, is a setting tbh.

Last edited:
Why would I not? They JUST made Watchdogs 3 with cop chases sir, don't talk about that even though clearly Cyberpunk was unable to?

huh?

Nah man, you want soft ball fake crititsium ignore Cyberpunk's faults.

I see zero evdience that Ubisoft was able to have a train station running and working in Watchdogs 1, yet couldn't do such a thing in some Cyberpunk esk FPS title in the future if they felt just.

So you're just going to ignore that you chastised me for using examples of cdpr's past design as an argument for the game design in cyberpunk,
while you completely contradicted yourself by using ubisofts past design to argue in favor of ubisofts *theoretical* game lol

I was pointing out your hypocrisy , please keep up. admit you fucked up here lol
Because your whole fucking argument is "its not GTA" as if it needs to be to have fucking cops driving cars. GTA did not invent that idea sir, its not as if such a thing never occurred in human existence and Rockstar is out here teaching real police officers that they can get in cars to chase people.

Like I asked before, did you focus on the guards chasing you around town and putting you in jail in the witcher 3? because skyrim did that.

I asked that for a reason. please dont ignore it lol

and why are handpicking certain items to cut from my argument lmao the bit where I said "We are telling you that that aspect of the game, isn't nearly the focus as it is in a sandbox like GTA where you don't build up a character at all nor loot items, craft, level, have branching quests etc.

you cut the entire second half, which emphasizes my point, you sneaky little manipulative fuck lmao you went out of your way to do that :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It "isn't" any of those other titles clearly cause the team simply can't do it.

Thats it.

Its why they have a star system.

Its why they have cops coming after you, but not in cars.

But fuck me man, it isn't "focused" cause it not GTA? Clearly its trying to be and failing at it.

no, it isn't trying to be, that's just false and clearly those features are what you value most...unfortunately what you value, and what CDPR was making didn't line up.

might as well compare and demonize the witcher 3 for not having black desert combat, I mean it's doing combat right? why isn't it as good? lol

might as well chastise bethesda for it's swordplay not being as good as dishonored, I mean its doing combat right? why isn't it as good?

that's your logic right now.

Last edited:
Sad, that shit already looks better then Cyberpunk 2077....

Inviusx Inviusx I disagree. I believe we are going to see many teams do some futuristic open world concepts cause at the least, Cyberpunks numbers in sales show gamers want this concept, they simply want it by a team thats not a complete dumbass and trying to force a team of 500 to do the work of 1500 etc.

So trust, many publishers are looking at that 13 mill figure and likely realize they can do better with trusted teams that have actually done such features before in other series. Its all about how its applied. Its not like we've never gotten a game with cars, in a city with trains before.

All this is, is a setting tbh.

most of those devs can't do the presentation, and quest writing, and gameplay that cyberpunk/witcher 3 has combined into a package, and they have yet to prove it. I'd say only Rockstar (who isn't an RPG dev),Naughty Dog (who isn't either), can nail the consistent presentation and gameplay. but can the other devs nail the consistent creativity and variation in quests and it's writing? nope, that takes work. and effort. and love.

do you even understand why the witcher 3 won all the awards it did, and why ubisoft games typically dont even get nominated

I'm curious at this point if you even understand what it is CDPR does better than everyone else. do you even know? can you give me a synopsis? we need to find a common ground of understanding here.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I'm kind of burnt out on the over-the-top 80s tinge cyberpunk tbh. Much of it is too derivative.

So many games are going open world now, and I'm not even sure why.
Some cool games, but I havent seen anyhting gorundbreaking as far as cyberpunk is concerned.
Closest it ever came was Cyperpunk 2077 when it was still full on RPG , before CDPR made cuts and pivoted to a more action heavy direction.

EDMIX

Deus Ex is top tier immersive sim, and I loved CP2077 because it tried to be an immersive sim in a huge open world.
Many encounters feel like a small level built to be handled in many different ways by the player, with a half assed GTA open world in between missions.

If CP2077 would have put even a little effort into making cops more interesting, I would have almost no complaints with the game that I played.

Agreed.

It seems the world, narrative, story and idea of it fits in many areas, but its function...nor non-function in many areas makes everything just fall apart, you feel like you are playing a tech demo or a open concept of a game that is coming out and not a game that has actually officially "released".

The cops issues hurt it a fuck ton as the narrative talks about theses big bad, currupt cops, you see them arresting people in the opening and doing swat stuff etc, yet none of that shit happens in the open world in real time and they seem to be brain dead, but that goes overall for the majority of the AI.

So I'd say my biggest issue really is the programming, AI etc. Its why the cops are doorknobs, the enemies are not a challenge, the gangs pose no real harm etc.

Its a bark, with no bite. You feel like you are playing half a game. So I 'd say half assed GTA fits a lot. I gained even more respect to what those teams do with open world games, because when we get a lot of em, we expect all that stuff as if its easy and standard, yet when it goes really bad like in CP2077, we realize those teams clearly are doing a pretty good fucking job to have a functional world with AI, NPCs etc. I'm a bit less harsh about other teams after CP2077.

I'd only recommend someone this game if they just want the narrative, story etc. I don't know if I can really say to play it for anything else tbh.

mortal mortal I don't disagree with you, but we don't even know how much of that even really existed at this point. I want what they first showed too, trust me. I got it day 1, was hype, but looking at all the shit they lied about, I now question how much of what I wanted, was even real in the first place.

One day..

Last edited:
I like cyberpunk but man we need like blade runner the game at this point - where you can control flying cars - open world. More of the blade runner movies aesthetic. Why won’t someone do this properly

EDIT: and I don’t mind it being action heavy but I need it to feel like an actual living city or else why the hell are we escaping to it? Like it needs to be very interactive, I’d say more so than even a GTA due to the technology a cyberpunk city is based on having the web and shit - like all that needs to be mini games, etc at least

Last edited:
I didn't even catch the Edmix kid put me on the ignore list, and that was before I even insulted him lol

and he posted an argument, and essentially didn't allow me to respond to it. how pathetic...

so bitch made lol forums in 2021 man...people used not be like this on here xD

Last edited:

Arsic

Even given 2 or 3 more years, the true issues with Cyberpunk 2077 are at the core. It just isn't anything new, innovative, or next level for open world, rpgs, shooters, story, visuals, etc. It literally is all over mediocre in all facets.

The current level for open world games to beat is RDR2, and they missed that by a hundred miles to be better than that experience. Most would argue witcher 3 is better but I personally think witcher 2 is their best game.

They aren't masters of open world imo.
They need a more focused game to excel.

----

As for more cyberpunk games idk man. They have 99% been ass. I don't know anyone that could nail this concept except maybe Rockstar.

EDMIX

Even given 2 or 3 more years, the true issues with Cyberpunk 2077 are at the core. It just isn't anything new, innovative, or next level for open world, rpgs, shooters, story, visuals, etc. It literally is all over mediocre in all facets.

The current level for open world games to beat is RDR2, and they missed that by a hundred miles to be better than that experience. Most would argue witcher 3 is better but I personally think witcher 2 is their best game.

They aren't masters of open world imo.
They need a more focused game to excel.

----

As for more cyberpunk games idk man. They have 99% been ass. I don't know anyone that could nail this concept except maybe Rockstar.

Pretty much.

I'd rather they don't even do some open world game for the next one if they can't.

I think is crazy that a game set in the 1800s is more advanced then the game set in the future lol

I think Rockstar would do an amazing job, same with Sony, Ubisoft and a few others. I expected them not to be on the level of GTA or something, but shit I expected STANARD FEATURES, not cops appearing out of thin air, can't drive cars, gangs that can't drive cars (no bad guy is programmed to drive any vehicle to come after you basically), they can't hunt you when you fight them, so in some of the more complex areas, you'll literally see bad guys shooting the wall or floor as if they are only programmed to shoot in you direction regardless of where you happen to be.

The excuse that we needed next gen hardware was pure horseshit and I reject that argument full stop. Its a disrespect to all the developers that made open world games with those elements last gen, they pulled too many things off for us to really be like "we NEED next gen for cars"

We've had train systems in many games for generations
We've had actual AI that can hunt for you and fight you in complex environments in many games for generations
We've had enemies that can drive vehicles to fight you, go after you etc in many games for generations
We've had large crowds of AI in many games for generations

Fuck out of here with this load of horseshit that "NEXT GEN" is needed for that, a fucking competent team that understand those features is needed for that folks.

Woggleman

This would actually be the perfect time for Rockstar to get in on this setting. You had so many videos comparing RDR2 and GTA V to Cyberpunk 2077 with Rockstar coming up smelling like roses. They should use this goodwill to their advantage. If RDR2 just tightened up the controls it really would be the perfect open world. It takes immersion to a whole new level.

EDMIX

This would actually be the perfect time for Rockstar to get in on this setting. You had so many videos comparing RDR2 and GTA V to Cyberpunk 2077 with Rockstar coming up smelling like roses. They should use this goodwill to their advantage. If RDR2 just tightened up the controls it really would be the perfect open world. It takes immersion to a whole new level.

I agree with you on this one, simply that I'd rather have Rockstar North focus on GTA VI as it already is vs changing it to jump on Scifi stuff, that isn't to say I wouldn't want them to work on such a concept, maybe another Rockstar team though.

They have the talent for it.

mortal

Gold Member
I like cyberpunk but man we need like blade runner the game at this point - where you can control flying cars - an open world. More of the blade runner movies aesthetic. Why won’t someone do this properly

EDIT: and I don’t mind it being action-heavy but I need it to feel like an actual living city or else why the hell are we escaping to it? Like it needs to be very interactive, I’d say more so than even a GTA due to the technology a cyberpunk city is based on having the web and shit - like all that needs to be mini-games, etc at least
Imo most developers either don't have the balls or the creative insight to pull off a legitimate Blade Runner game. Some are probably just busy with other creative ideas altogether.

Those that love the Blader Runner stories and that sort of world-building know when something is successfully in the vein of Blade Runner and when it's not; with the recently revealed Black Lotus series serving as a prime example of not understanding your source material.

To extrapolate on your point, it's not just about getting the aesthetic down, but also understanding the tone and themes being explored in Blade Runner stories are also crucial.
The world has to be a primary focus, characters need to respect the logic and rules of the Blade Runner timeline. I'd expect a detail-oriented open world, with respect to AI behaviors and map design.
The map design can't just be a generic cyberpunk megacity. It would have to be a thoughtful interpretation of future Los Angles within the Blade Runner timeline.
Especially if it's going to be open-world. It can't just be a vast map to pilot a spinner from point A to B, as fun as that might be. There need to be worthwhile interesting motivations to pilot your spinner to a certain destination, and I'm not talking about another NPC fetch quest or fighting some enemy either. I think that characters in this world would have to be very well realized in order to be effective.

An open-world in what I would consider a legit Blade Runner would have to be Rockstar's quality of open-world design and attention to detail. RDR2 made me realize how extremely good Rockstar is with thematic settings. The immersion was insane, even despite some of what I would consider as flaws. I need to be able to get truly lost in that Blade Runner world.

I am curious, who would be your ideal developer(s) to pull off an open-world Blade Runner game?

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

you do understand that these are different right?
I am genuinely asking, what's the defining difference between Open world and Sandbox game.

Where does Just Cause, Skyrim and No Man's sky falls ?

Paltheos

For all its faults, Cyberpunk checked all the boxes for me. I wanted to play in a cyberpunk, open world game, and that's what I got. A couple of the set pieces are fantastic too, and this is coming from a guy who's usually put off by AAA set pieces.

Top Bottom