• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else still hungry for a Cyberpunk open world done right?

More Cyberpunk?

• No, I've had enough.

Votes: 46 25.4%
  • Yes please.

Votes: 135 74.6%

• Total voters

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Any open world done to its full potential is always worth it to me. I know people get tired of hearing the terms 'open-world/sandbox,' but exploration, when done right, is genuinely one of my greatest joys. Skyrim for the first time. Skellige for the first time. The opening of Hyrule field in many zelda games for the first time. Going into the dangers of fringe-space in most space sims (omicron systems in Freelancer, the ripping fields in Tachyon: The Fringe). That sensation that an adventure you control is beginning... nothing like it.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
As someone who loves Cyberpunk and was looking forward to the game for nearly a decade, I decided not to buy it and make a thread here complaining about it instead :lollipop_neutral:

JK it was one of the biggest disappointments in my gaming life.

At least you still have your love life to cheer you up

I hope

EDMIX

I mean an open world with deep, interactive and polished sandbox gameplay and exploration like RDR, BOTW or GTAV. I want a world teeming with life and possibilities.

I still feel like the Cyberpunk open world dream needs to be realized. 2077 felt like fools gold to me because the world, while beautiful, was completely detached from the feeling of being highly advanced and was actually very crude and rudimentary.

The problem is it will probably take a major developer to accomplish such a game even though Cyberpunk has been trending all generation.

artur-sadlos-future-tokyo-003-wip004i.jpg

1000% this.

It felt like they were more focused on it simply looking good vs actually being a real game with features that make sense. I got nothing against the artist btw, they did their fucking jobs on that game, fuck those in charge that even made it this horrid Great Value Borderlands shooter with dumb as bricks AI.

Its so sad to play cause you literally see, what it could have been if done by a better team.

Give that shit to MS, Ubisoft, Take Two, Square, Sony...anyone makes a better game then what we got. This game is dead ass struggling to meet 2001 standards with AI, I've never seen something like this in AAA gaming and hope to god I never see that type of shit again.

I'm more hype for Bethesda or Ubisoft or Eidos etc to give us a open world cyberpunk game. At least we know they know how to fucking make game that actually work with features that make sense. Regardless of how folks felt about Watchdogs 3, at least that game was exactly what it was marketed to be with actual AI.

Isn't starfield supposed to be open world ?

I believe so, but they haven't given out much details. I believe it will be like Fallout or Elder Scrolls in space, like where the ship is like a mount and you can put things in the ship and go from place to place and do quest, but locations like in Elder Scrolls and Fallout will be limited, but with much depth. Thats what I'm assuming anyway based on their past games. Thats just a guess from me. I'm assuming randomly you can come across abandoned ships and search them or take them over, find new ship mates etc.

i think cdpr will do a no mans sky and eventually the game will be alright, its a shame they released an alpha

i cant think of anyone else that could do a ripper open world atm other than rockstar
I wish that was the case, but this game needs so much more work, like literally being a different game. I think Ubisoft, Take Two have many teams that can pull this off way better.
I think the world is so fundamentally broken in terms of AI, physics and fine detail that it would take a hell of a lot of money or a miracle to fix it. Like a house built on an unstable foundation. I would like to hope though.
Agreed. We are not even just talking about a fresh coat of paint and fixing JUST the bugs, the game literally is broken in just too many areas to the point of them needing to literally make a different game. Fuck it and move on to Witcher 4 and learn the damn lessons for Cyberpunk 2077-2 or 2078 or what ever the fuck they calling it lol
Ubi would probably be a far more likely AAA developer to throw their name in the hat after CDPR, and while they're not the absolute best in the business, they can make a far better sandbox than CDPR.

I disagree, I'd say Ubisoft is elite in this area of open world. Let me plead my case Casey lol

Ubisoft not only can bring out massive open world titles, they can do many titles during the generation, they don't need 8 years or 13 years of hype or anything like that (don't bring up Beyond Good and Evil, dats no fair, ima just avoid talking about dat game lol)

During this generation, the open world titles they put out

Far Cry 4, Primal, 5 and 6 (land, air and sea)
AC Unity (they are able to have trouble, spot the fix and regroup), Syndicate, larger word in Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla
Able to do new IPs last gen like
Immortals
Watchdogs 1,2 and 3 which mind you litearlly has a laundry list of features Cyberpunk 2077 scrapped, got rid of, couldn't do or just out right lied about
The Division 1 and 2

Need I go on?

I'm not saying any of those are the greatest games of all time, but the quality exist, the games are functional and they are able to properly allocate resources to fund games to allow them to be as grand as they are vs trying to short change developers and fans by cutting content and trying to force a team of 500 to do the work of 1000.

They put 15 studios to work on Valhalla, we got a game that is working, has features promised, no massive controversy and people asking for their money, lawsuits, remove from PSN etc lol

So I feel Rockstar even putting 8 of their teams on Red Dead 2, shows Ubisoft has a concept that fits and makes sense and I'd trust them to not only do this title better then CDPR, but rival the majority of studios. I'd argue, several of the things even scrapped from Cyberpunk or missing, exist in many of Ubisoft's titles this very generation, what is to stop Ubisoft from making Far Cry 7 aka Far Cry 77 and just add in cop chases, the AI we see in Watchdogs, the hacking and tech we see in Watchdogs, the land air and sea concept we see in Far Cry etc? It can be done and they just have the pieces to put together and proven teams to make it happen.

At least we got several of those a generation for them to fix, refine etc vs every 8 years lol

Rikkori

I mean an open world with deep, interactive and polished sandbox gameplay and exploration like RDR, BOTW or GTAV.
None of the games you mentioned have anything close to resembling that. Least of all GTA V, which is actually even a step back from GTA IV in those respects. The only open world game that manages to get even close to having persistent consequences (and proper learning curve & rewards) and a more believable world is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but as good as that game is it is still far from reaching the ideal in terms of world & NPC interactivity.

We will see improvements on this front maybe, as we get more CPU power & as ML models get brought in to help, as well as probably offloading a lot of these things server-side and making the games online-only (The Division 2 gets a lot done this way). Tbh I think it's Star Citizen that will actually be the best overall here, because even though it's still years away from release it's not like these other advanced open world games are coming out any time soon. They will all take years to make, so probably closer to 2030 than today before we see some significant progress on that front.

As for Cyberpunk 2077, I honestly don't know why people even expected different. The developer is not known for it and even in interviews they've stated they are focused on delivering a story-first open world game, a.k.a. more Witcher 3-like, less sandbox & world interaction. Personally I think they did better than I expected them to, particularly for exploration & giving multiple approaches to buildings, missions etc. but it's obvious that in terms of NPCs in the world they've done the bare minimum, same for traffic, cop system (which I hate & see as gimmicky in every game), and so on. No doubt CDPR has messed up though, as they've shown very little progress since launch & game still needed more work overall.

GymWolf

I had my share of fun with CB2077, i'm gonna wait for the complete revamp of that game for a second run with completely different choices.

The ascent scratched that cyberpunk hitch in a pretty good way tho.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I think I'm kind of over open world games. GTA3 was amazing, and San Andreas was perfect, but anymore they just feel repetitive.

I am looking forward to Elden Ring, but other than that, eh.

If anything games should copy the xenoblade formula of semi-open worlds.

GymWolf

If you want a civilian murder simulator then yes, GTA is better. But that's not the focus of the game.
Dude i enjoyed my 82 hours with the game but the title was also completely broken as a cyberpunk simulator, the ia was fucked, the stealth was a joke, the melee was clunky and the Hacking was so OP that completely erased any challenge whatsoever (on max difficulty), the shooting was somehow the best part of the gameplay and it was still far from perfect.

They have a lot of work to do other than making the world more alive and immersive.

The game was more than the sum of his parts.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If you want a civilian murder simulator then yes, GTA is better. But that's not the focus of the game.

I mean sure but, seems like the focus of the game then was never to make a interactive world with NPC that actually behaved like they were made by a modern studio.

In a interactive world, anything can be deemed a "murder simulator" as you'd still have the free will to do bad things, they don't limit that cause its "not the fucus" they limit it cause they can't fucking do it as a team.

Thats it.

Thats literally why the game is missing so many features, unless you telling me cops in the future forgot cars existed and can't drive and shoot etc

What are you going to tell me? The focus is not running from the cops if you do a crime? Why are they fighting you when you break the law then? Soooooooo we really can't just run with the whole "da game not about dat doe" when the game itself literally is TRYING to do that... Why have stars? Why have them do ANYTHING if you break the law? Why fucking have laws?

Do you not see just how weird that is when you really look at what is missing from the game and what was added? its clear they wanted some element of that and simply couldn't pull it off. Even if you say the game isn't a murder simulation, the ability to hurt folks and the cops coming if you do shows thats just not the case and that they clearly wanted it to be at the level of modern games, not out there below GTA3 standards....

GymWolf GymWolf THIS! Thank you! That is Cyberpunk in a nut shell, the only part of that game that even works is simply the shooting and its at best a ok Borderlands clone. The AI is so bad, it even hurts how great that shooting is, if only we had something smart to fight us that wasn't just standing around, they won't even hunt for you, at one point I was dead ass just hunting for them cause I knew they were too dumb to be a REAL challenge lol

Last edited:

fermcr

Nah, it's because people who play open world sandbox's regularly know a dead, lifeless world when they play one.

GTA5 already had a lot of patches and updates during these years since release. Cyberpunk 2077 is not ever a year old.
Was GTA5's AI like that on game release?

Last edited:

TastyPastry

it's sad how cyberpunk 2077 presents you this cool looking cyberpunk city and there is nothing there to interact with it in any fun way. if i was designing a open world cyberpunk city the first thing on my mind would be "how different is it from our world?" what does a cyberpunk zoo look like? what is it like to go see a movie in 2077? things like that. cyberpunk 2077 doesn't do anything with it's setting it's such a shame honestly. i think cdpr simply doesn't have the talent for something like this, people saying the game is still getting a no man's sky style makeover are being way too optimistic i think. rockstar would be the ideal dev for a cyberpunk open world game but all they will be doing for the next 20 years is red dead and gta. i think the yakuza team could do a small but very detailed cyberpunk open world. microsoft has the shadowrun ip and they bought like 5 devs who do rpgs, maybe something will happen someday. other than that i only expect indie games with a cyberpunk setting to come out in the next 5 years or so.

Last edited:

EDMIX

GTA5 already had a lot of patches and updates during these years since release. Cyberpunk 2077 is not ever a year old.
Was GTA5's AI like that on game release?

GTAV's AI was complete at release, they got updates but its not like the shit was below GTA3 AI or something or the cops forgot what cars are and people didn't run when you tried to kill em etc.

I got every GTA at launch since Vice City and GTAV's AI was rock solid at launch and its updates added polish, but it didn't just overall complete functions or features or something, like the cops couldn't drive or NPCs didn't know what crime was or something lol

In fact, you can even just play GTA V on PS3 or 360, don't install the day 1 patch and you can see yourself what GTA V is like launch day, its still a complete functional game with cops chasing you, land, air, sea, customizing cars, NPCs that are not dumb fucking bricks etc lol

So man, GTAV didn't just slowly get all those features over 8 years or something. We are not talking about a few patches for stabilization or updates for online stuff, Cyberpunk 2077 literally is missing features of being a basic game, GTA V didn't just launch with no cops and just added that year 3 or launch with no NPC programming and was like "we'll patch that in 6 months later" or something.

Even when people dog on Watchdogs 3, I get games can have issues, it happens...but Watchdogs 3 doesn't have shit going on like we need to "patch" in the cops able to drive a fucking car and chase you in a game literally about crime and law and society etc.

Last edited:

Fredrik

My Steam counter says 247 hours played on Cyberpunk 2077 so while it wasn’t perfect it certainly must’ve done something right. Possibly the best realized first person perspective ever. And I still have high hopes that CDPR will pull it through and make it shine.

I’ve had plenty of fun with The Ascent as well, I think they absolutely nailed the cyberpunk design, the details and material work is better than anything out there right now. From a pure RPG gamer perspective it’s lacking though, feels like a 16-bit RPG, fetch quest marathon, especially side quests. But shooter fans should definitely not sleep on it, I loved it, it’s one of my top games so far this year. And going by user talk people seem to really like it, ~4500 steam reviews so far and positive, meta userscore is 8+ on all platforms as well, obvious bombings included.

But yeah, if Rockstar made a cyberpunk game then I imagine it would stomp everything. I just doubt that they’ll do it, they make so few games so it would mean scrapping RDR or GTA, which seems unlikely.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My biggest problem with cyberpunk style worlds is that they rely too heavily on the drugs/crime aspect over the numerous other environments that they could use within that genre. Yes, those two things are a big part of it, but it almost feels like a parody at times with how much they emphasize it.

Kuranghi

My cyberpunk dream game still hasn’t been made. I thought Cyberpunk 2077 was gonna be exactly that, but it didn’t turn out that way at all. Honestly just wish Rocksteady would make a Batman Beyond game in the vein of Arkham City, but in futuristic/cyberpunk Gotham. Would love to see that happen.

Oh man, that would be amazeballs, such a great way to evolve the gameplay from Knight as well, since you can go crazy with scale and speed and silly tech that would've been too far in the world of the Arkham Trilogy. They already started into sci-fi stuff in Knight with the railgun batsuit eject and such but anymore would be out of place I think.

nycnomad

Neo Member
Weirdly enough, and the very idea of this game even being completed seems like a stretch, but Beyond Good and Evil 2 seems like it may have the potential to finally realize the Fifth Element like sky driving gridlock we have all been waiting for

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I am. But "done right" is subjective. And I'm referring to the aesthetics. Perhaps something without the Japan/China town trope at least. World building is everything and like, for example, the Dark Souls series thought us, being obtuse so your mind has room to fantasize works wonders. In the 3 hours (at most) playing Cyberpunk I was bored already. Cliche, on the nose, standard portrayal; "brah, its neon and chinese symbolzz must b tha fUtUre!11"

Last edited:

SinDelta

Weirdly enough, and the very idea of this game even being completed seems like a stretch, but Beyond Good and Evil 2 seems like it may have the potential to finally realize the Fifth Element like sky driving gridlock we have all been waiting for

Assuming it ever comes out that is, alongside Skull and Bones. Where is my awesome pirate simulator Ubisoft?!

WitchHunter

I mean an open world with deep, interactive and polished sandbox gameplay and exploration like RDR, BOTW or GTAV. I want a world teeming with life and possibilities.

I still feel like the Cyberpunk open world dream needs to be realized. 2077 felt like fools gold to me because the world, while beautiful, was completely detached from the feeling of being highly advanced and was actually very crude and rudimentary.

The problem is it will probably take a major developer to accomplish such a game even though Cyberpunk theme has been trending all generation.

artur-sadlos-future-tokyo-003-wip004i.jpg
Why do people want to live in a disgusing, utterly sick and perverted Cyberpunk VR world is beyond me. You must be delusional, plain ABN+ or a retroll.

20cent

Banned
"Deus Ex"

I haven't replayed the original one since the year of its release, but if nostalgia can fool us like it did with Shenmue...

Anyway I've played the last 2 big Deus Ex entries (HR and MD).... and CP2077 does everything better...open world, side quests, equipment, hacking, fights, story, details...

Shitting on CP is like begging for another Bloodborne, you haven't touched any of them, but it sounds cool to say it.

MiguelItUp

While playing The Ascent, I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a modern and remade version of Shadowrun on SNES. Open world, 3rd+1st person perspectives, etc. I'd LOVE that!

After Cyberpunk 2077 I'm just kind of numb to all things cyberpunk it seems. At least to the point where I'm genuinely excited. So I'm indifferent on the desire to want something "to be done right".

If it happens and it looks outstanding, sure I'll bite. But I don't think I'm on the prowl for one either.

I'm hopeful they can salvage CP 2077.

It seems there are some amazing ideas there, but they just needed another 2-3yrs to flesh out their game's vision and polish it up.

They clearly bit off way more than they could chew. But they've made some money off of it. Hopefully, they can fully re-develop it and re-launch as a whole new experience.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Deus EX HR and MD are open world enough for me in a great cyberpunk setting and 2 of my favorite games. I'm playing the Ascent right now it is by far the most spectacular cyberpunk world ever, graphics are amazing and even though the game has some bugs and quirks to me it is super fun.

All that aside, I still voted yes since I can never have too much SciFi and/or cyberpunk in my games.

coffinbirth

Shhh. They can't actually play it They can only complain about it on the internet and parrot what their youtube influencers told them.
It's an incomplete pile of overhyped, underdelivered dogshit. Anyone that says otherwise is full of a similar type of shit, or just really likes shitty shit...or both. Worst $60 I've paid for a game since Battlefield 1.

MCplayer

i think cdpr will do a no mans sky and eventually the game will be alright, its a shame they released an alpha

i cant think of anyone else that could do a ripper open world atm other than rockstar
Naughty dog are pretty excellent programmers, artists and storytellers, they are the ones I would like to see do a cyberpunk open world game and rockstar yes

Last edited:

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
it is impossible to make a game this big without feeling empty, impossible to fill a city of millions of inhabitants and at the same time be completely interactive in every way, it is no longer a matter of technical limitations because the consoles are not "powerful" , is that it is impossible to program a whole world like Cyberpunk 2077 and that everything works perfectly, that it is interactive, that it has advanced physics, AI with thousands of routines, etc.
A perfect cyberpunk game must be the size of deus ex mankind divided, small worlds in scale, but rich in details and super interactive.

I like what we got Cyberpunk, Deus ex do not in anyways shape or fourm need to copy GTA GTAs fanbase might as well be a bunch of kids the only thing GTA has over CP is a.i for traffic everything sucks just play GTA online Long loading screens, Annoying phone calls ever 5 mins, Unfunny jokes and dialoue that was written by someone who is 13, Non stop road blocks to make it to where there any sort of fun to be had without the need of shark cards, Constant grefing. Do i need to go one but what about the SP well the SP has about a 10th of what the online has outside of the bank missions most of the game is on snooze drive here cutscene nothing happens or something go wrong drive back and repeat.

brian0057

Banned
Between the mediocrity of Watch__Dogs and... whatever the fuck Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to be, I'll take a pass on the whole "oper-world Cyberpunk game".

As it stands, Deus Ex is cursed for all eternity to be the greatest Cyberpunk game ever created.

EDIT:
Oh, and also the Shadowrun games. Superb stuff.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Now lets get one thing straight.

I want an open world Cyberpunk type game looking exactly like this image here. JUST. LIKE. THAT !!!

I want to be able to use a flying car and switch vertically between different traffic routes when trying to evade police. How fun would that be. Hit R2 to have your flying car descend to the traffic route beneath it and continue the pursuit. Look at The Fifth Element for inspiration.

These new SSD's should have no problem realizing such a futuristic city scape.

Its not going to happen but I agree. CDPR spent a bazillion dollars and like 8 years and we got what we got. I actually enjoyed the hell out of CP2077 on PC but it is not what I expected.

RyRy93

Rockstar are the only ones that could do such large, complex and dense worlds justice, I think CDPR gave it a good go but I hope they go back to making more Witcher-esque games.

Top Bottom