• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else misses the PS3/360 era?

Thavash

While people will say that this is all "nostalgia" - its not.
There are clearly some Gens that are better than others.

When the XboxOne / PS4 gen was about halfway, I remember not being that impressed and saying the PS3/360 was way better. People told me it was "nostalgia". Looking back, we were right to think so.

This Gen is sadly even worse at the moment.

Looking back, my favourite Gens ranked were :

1) 32-bit ( PS1,Saturn, N64)
2) 8-bit ( NES )
3) PS3/X360
4) 16-Bit
5) PS2 era

SkylineRKR

Every generation had its downsides. The PS2 era was very good but it was pretty much offline only while this was very possible on PC for a good few years already. So many genres didn't work on PS2 by default. There was some online support ofcourse, but even on Xbox it was still rather uncommon and not the widely adopted norm.

The PS360 generation fixed this, and enabled a wide array of multiplayer out of the gate, interactivity and updates to games. No longer you were playing a fighting or racing game solely against the CPU. You could challenge and interact with others. In turn, the PS360 generation suffered from very bad performance and many small time studios that could cope with PS2 sized projects, couldn't keep up. On top of that, Japan spiraled into an identity crisis very quickly. The early batch of games were still true to their roots, but as those games bombed they started to ape western tropes with very questionable success. Even their succesful formulas this generation, like Dead Rising and DMC4, they abandoned and outsourced to westernize. Ofcourse this gen also introduced paying for MTX.

PS4 fixed a lot of issues the PS360 generation faced. Much better perf and IQ accross the board, no gimped player counts in online games, Japan back on track etc. But at the same time a lot of genres disappeared, and variety and experimentation took a hit. Content was locked behind a paywall even further. Could you unlock a bunch of SFIV fighters for free on PS360, bet on it that for its sequels you have to pay up.

Which leads to the PS5 gen, that fixed those terribly long load times many games faced. But it plays even more safe and tries to bank on GaaS and MTX even further.

So finally its about rose tinted glasses too. I hated my PS3 around 2012. I found it slow, cumbersome, bad performance and IQ etc. I was completely sick of that gen. But whenever I fire up my PS3 now I like it a ton. Because I browse through my games and I see the likes of Ridge Racer, Motorstorm, Killzone 2, Resistance 3, Virtua Tennis 3, Infamous 2, NBA Street, MG: Rising, DMC4, Driver SF and I think.. it was pretty good and diverse! Ofcourse, for any of them is also a RE5 and 6, Front Mission Evolved etc. These IP are in a better place right now.

Radical_3d

Just something minor like Red Faction Armageddon today would be innovative game of the year, creativity galaxy brain tier, finally the industry moving on, at last the power of the next generation is put to a good use… but in the PS360 era…

tumblr_mn9sun1hep1qbtxe8o3_500.gif

Cryio

I have RPCS3 and Xenia ready to go at any moment really.

Recently played through God of War 1/2/Chains/3/Ghost on RPCS3. Started Ascension also.

Started Resistance 3. I have Dante's Inferno also ready to go. Plus all the Ratchet games from PS3.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have RPCS3 and Xenia ready to go at any moment really.

Recently played through God of War 1/2/Chains/3/Ghost on RPCS3. Started Ascension also.

Started Resistance 3. I have Dante's Inferno also ready to go. Plus all the Ratchet games from PS3.
Based, I'd recommend a playthrough of Asura's Wrath, feels more like watching an anime rather than playing a videogame at times, but damn is it good and fun.

How's Xenia nowadays? Wouldn't mind trying out Last Odyssey of it runs nicely.

Bridges

All three of the platforms were firing on all cylinders at once point or another.

I took an odd route, getting a Wii on launch day, a phat PS3 several years in and then when that died on me getting a 360 right after Modern Warfare 2 came out. Was first introduced to Steam just a few years after that too.

So many great games across them all.

Wii Sports, TLoZ: Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero III

Then jumped to PS3 and got amazing games like Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, InFamous, Guitar Hero: World Tour

Then ended up on the Xbox side with Left 4 Dead 2, Modern Warfare 2, Viva Piñata, Rock Band 3, Alan Wake, Fable III, Halo Reach

Countless others across all three but no matter where I was there were excellent 1st and 3rd party options, it really felt worth it and unique to have all the consoles, but that's the last time I felt that.

Nowadays you can really get away with a Switch + your preference between PS/Xbox/Steam and you won't be missing much imo.

Last gen PS4 and/or Steam was just the obvious choice as the Xbox One and Wii U were both disappointing for various reasons.

elhav

I actually think the ps4/wii u era had a lot of really good games, some of them as good or better than those on ps3. Here are some fantastic games off the top of my head:

Bloodborne
Sekiro
Disco Elysium
Red dead redemption 2
Undertale
God of war (2018)
Breath of the wild
Donkey kong country tropical freeze
Doom and Doom eternal
Psychonauts 2
Metal gear solid 5
Control
Subnautica
Talos Principle
Yakuza 0
Shadow of Mordor/war
Hades
Witcher 3
Dark souls 3
Persona 5
Horizon zero dawn

There's plenty more I don't remember, but I'd say many of those games are pretty magical. In fact, some of the games on this list are among my all time favourites. More than what the 360 era produced, that's for sure (been playing since the ps2)

Top Bottom