• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who could have predicted that so many PlayStation 1st Party games would be selling 10 , 15 & 20 million copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAspirino

Banned
Yeah it’s pretty crazy, Nintendo-like numbers.

10-15 million copies on a 114 million consoles sold, represents barely around 10-12% of the installed base.

Nintendo numbers, on the other hand, go straight up to 20-30% of the installed base (which right now sits around 100 million consoles).

Now, I'm not saying this is a small feat, because it isn't. All I'm saying is that, based entirely on numbers alone, it would seem that less people care about Playstation 1st party games than the amount of people that care about Nintendo 1st party games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

10-15 million copies on a 114 million consoles sold, represents barely around 10-12% of the installed base.

Nintendo numbers, on the other hand, go straight up to 20-30% of the installed base (which right now sits around 100 million consoles).

Now, I'm not saying this is a small feat, because it isn't. All I'm saying is that, based entirely on numbers alone, it would seem that less people care about Playstation 1st party games than the amount of people that care about Nintendo 1st party games.

To be fair there's a bigger amount of games to choose from on PlayStation consoles. PlayStation gets most of the bigger multiplatform stuff

EDMIX

Look, I'm not making light of those games sales, the deserve them, but that is also an install base that doesn't need to compete with Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Call Of Duty, Tekken and a fuck ton more, just stop man.

The PS install base moves lots of units on many, many...MANY 3rd party games, thus their studios need to compete with bigger IP then Nintendo does on their own platform.

When Metroid or Mario is coming out, they are not fighting off Call Of Duty, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed., Resident Evil etc

So I'd say Sony has the more healthy install base for their community, we don't have to sit back with a bunch of dry seasons with nothing coming out, 3rd party moves record units covering that front. I don't really get why people even use this attach rate as something to brag about.

You are happy they have 1 publisher rely on for the majority of content? I don't know about all that sir. I'd rather have a 100 plus million install base with 99% of the massive 3rd party support.

Hobbygaming

Sony games are heavily discounted after the first year.

Nintendo RARELY put their games on discount, only on certain occasions like Christmas or Thanksgiving
That still doesn't negate my point as most sales will be at release for most games they're typically front loaded

And the same person that buys God of War Ragnarok won't necessarily buy Horizon Forbidden West too

Hobbygaming

Look, I'm not making light of those games sales, the deserve them, but that is also an install base that doesn't need to compete with Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Call Of Duty, Tekken and a fuck ton more, just stop man.

The PS install base moves lots of units on many, many...MANY 3rd party games, thus their studios need to compete with bigger IP then Nintendo does on their own platform.

When Metroid or Mario is coming out, they are not fighting off Call Of Duty, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed., Resident Evil etc

So I'd say Sony has the more healthy install base for their community, we don't have to sit back with a bunch of dry seasons with nothing coming out, 3rd party moves record units covering that front. I don't really get why people even use this attach rate as something to brag about.

You are happy they have 1 publisher rely on for the majority of content? I don't know about all that sir. I'd rather have a 100 plus million install base with 99% of the massive 3rd party support.
Very well said!!

Plus Sony's ultra heavy marketing for single games, that makes Nintendo games even more impressive. Also that Nintendo keeps up the prices for years.

Last edited:

SSfox

Yes that's awesome, when you make great games and take risks you will be rewarded, but Sony need to be careful to not going for the full safe route, just look at what happened to Microsoft and Ubisoft to name just those.

Sony need to be careful and always remember what are the things that put them in the map.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

To be fair, as a Switch and Playstation owner, I don't find there are many dry seasons for either.

There is A LOT to play on both platforms.

I guess I'm not really into yearly Ubisoft or GaaS games though. Third party used to seem a lot stronger which is why I usually just buy AAA remasters or indies, oh and MGS is awesome but the franchise is done.

Last edited:
Sony games are heavily discounted after the first year.

Nintendo RARELY put their games on discount, only on certain occasions like Christmas or Thanksgiving
Not to mention how many games Sony has given away. In Japan they gave away 2 of the games on this list and discounted the ps4 below $200 in 2018.
Sony appears to count every download as a sale even when they give the game away for next to nothing.

Last edited:
Crossgen games
Paid remasters
And endless sequels

Great they are selling so many copies over their life on 2-3 platforms but I can’t help but wonder the types of games we would have if they simply invested in better b/c and simply patched in framerate unlocks or upres settings and worked on actual new ip

I love the Sony 1st party stuff but it’s clear they don’t take risks like they used too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom