• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who cares about PS5 vs XSX comparison?

Who cars about PS5 vs XSX comparison? What we really want to see is new gen vs old gen. PS5 vs PS4 and XSX vs XBONE to see if it is worth the upgrade. Only fanboys care about PS5 running better than XSX. Bring the new gen vs the old gen comparisons pleaaaase!

Last edited:

Tschumi

I think this captured my imagination because the consoles represent classic opponent tropes, power vs efficiency, right back to David and Goliath.. but in some measures Goliath is the opposite to other measures.. really it's a tasty narrative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuranghi

Shhhhhh!

Men love to compare objects for miniscule differences and its funny to watch the retards contort themselves.

edit - Sorry all my neoLadies, I know you love objects too:

tenor.gif

Last edited:
It's only concerning to me if there is a huge discrepancy like 30fps vs 60fps, or 1080p vs 4k.
Otherwise yeah, who cares. I'm a PS fan but never understand console wars.

OP: We want to see if it's worth the upgrade to next gen.

Like there's a question mark if new consoles are better than 7 year old tech.

I agree. PS5 vs XSX could have been Interesting if the differences were larger. As it stands I’d rather see cross-gen comparisons right now.

Given the traffic in the comparison threads (I probably make half the posts)... at least some people care.

Given how we now know the most important thing: the consoles are close enough to be considered roughly equal... well that's what most people need to know about the specs.

People who assumed their console would end up on top and "destroy" the competition must feel kind of let down.

AC_Eivor

Neo Member
For me, the comparisons are just interesting to see. Both systems are extremely similar spec wise this generation. It makes it much more interesting to see which one has a performance lead this time around, as there shouldn't be that much of a difference in most cases.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's interesting to see after so many people said there would be a huge gap between both consoles.

I also think that if comparisons remain close then Mark Cerny has done remarkable job designing this console.

supernova8

Banned
I bought both. I thought the Xbox Series X would be better. The PS5 ended up being better, but both are underwhelming so far. So sue me.

I bought neither but from everything I've read/watched, it sounds pretty much as you say. PS5 is slightly better but there's not much in it.
Seems to be very little new to play on either system. I'm really glad I held off.

I have no interest in BC, not really a massive Spiderman fan and absolutely cannot stand the Souls games.
Bugsnax looks fun though!

I agree OP, I've basically opted out of all comparison threads/YT channels now. There's little point to it and this new generation is finally all about what devs do with the power now, rather than this brand is better than the other brand.

I'm really curious what devs can come up with for this next generation, it would be nice to see more innovation and less dial up the graphics. Mechanics as seen in Ratchet'n'Clank (PS5) or Medium (XSX) are the sorts of things I'm more interested in. 120Hz for multiplayer is interesting from a latency perspective and competitiveness point of view but I care very little about 60 vs 120 in terms of what I see on screen. Surely there are Indie devs and studios out there pushing innovation and creativity with the power of these next gen consoles.

Games like Shadow of Mordor had interesting enemy systems like Nemesis they developed for example. I'd like to see and hear more about what can be done with the power besides just graphics. Areas where I feel the local console power could be expanded are AI, dynamic geometry, procedural systems, physics, interactive/dynamic audio in real time etc. There's also far more integration with the cloud processing these days why don't we see shared worlds in campaign games or PvE content put to more creative use? There's plenty more to next gen but it seems there's the usual push to "just deliver more pixels in my face" from the industry and gamers alike.

Why can't our favourite games be more choose your own adventure with semi-procedural elements as opposed to these sorts of linear corridor curated games that you play through once and don't revisit. Most solo games you literally memorise the spawns, environments and events. It would be nice to have those sorts of things intelligently designed as sandboxes or systems where variations are introduced so you want to replay and engage with your developing skills and experience. Return visits ramp up difficulty as you get better, things like that. There has been very well received games in these sorts of advancements too e.g. Waverace, Ass Creed: Black Flag or Sea of Thieves where the water physics and simulation systems are integral to traversal or combat. More of that shit please.

I'd love to see forums such as GAF actually work on creative ideas that perhaps a dev or designer would actually contribute in or take inspiration from. That's far more entertaining and engaging than teraflops and frame rates.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Some don't even have their consoles yet, that's what crazy to me. I just see it as so much small dick energy being spent on belittling one side to feel better about themselves. And it's in groups you know, like a mob! It's the same in soccer, comics and politics etc. Human nature? Idk man but it's just all so tiresome to me now.

Who cars about PS5 vs XSX comparison? What we really want to see is new gen vs old gen. PS5 vs PS4 and XSX vs XBONE to see if it is worth the upgrade. Only fanboys care about PS5 running better than XSX. Bring the new gen vs the old gen comparisons pleaaaase!

Cross-gen comparison analysis threads are posted regularly too, they just far less activity and fade quickly.

Judging by how every head to head analysis thread gets hundreds of replies, I would say a lot of people care. Also, usually if you’re making a point to claim you don’t care about something, that means you ay least care a little bit.

The threads won’t stop.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Cross-gen comparison analysis threads are posted regularly too, they just far less activity and fade quickly.

Judging by how every head to head analysis thread gets hundreds of replies, I would say a lot of people care. Also, usually if you’re making a point to claim you don’t care about something, that means you ay least care a little bit.

The threads won’t stop.

ScratchyInsignificantCrocodileskink-size_restricted.gif

Nah joking, I don't want it to stop because I have no job rn.

quest

Not Banned from OT

The threads won’t stop.
A lot of that traffic is by a handful of warriors beating their chests over and over. See the COD thread it has a lot less traffic for the second biggest game out there. Since there is no styling and profiling it is not exciting for them.

Tmack

Totally agree...

But as i PS5 adopter i really care that:

- PS5 is (apparently) more powerfull than expected;
- Dual sense is better than expected;
- UI/Backcompat/etc is better than expected.

Besided games, thats all that matters. If PS5 is still slower/less powerfull than the xbx, i dont care at all.

AGRacing

I own both consoles... I like them to see if there is a better version of a 3rd party game I should buy between my 2 available options.

There will be many people who own both consoles over the course of this generation... Especially now that there will be more Xbox exclusives available.

Rolla

Banned
I don't give a fuck about it, personally.

But it is fun to watch people who made the boldest claims about one console showing significant advantages eat crow. Especially certain youtube/twitter personalities.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I do not think the pixels or some fps drop matters and 99% can even tell. Though if there is tearing on one platform or LOD issue then it does. But these issues are rare and probably can be fixed by devs via patch.

jose4gg

I couldn't care less about PS5 being superior or inferior, I love Sony games and I have a very powerful PC to play every great thing that might get released in Gamepass, but to me is super amazing to see all the FUD that was spread of the PS5 for almost a year, disappear from existence. See the PS5 winning in some games really makes me happy on how people need to shut up if they don't understand computing graphics and development overall.

OP: We want to see if it's worth the upgrade to next gen.

Like there's a question mark if new consoles are better than 7 year old tech.
Of course they are better, but just how much better? Or are you seriously gonna telll me you can clearly see a difference between COD for PS5 against PS4?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have both, I just get annoyed when sony fans declare victories when there is none, or blindly follow the brand without even considering other gaming options.

In terms of an upgrade from a ps4 or a xbox one, either machine is a massive upgrade. Going from a pro or xbox one x, the leap is smaller, but still fully worth it.

It sometimes gets really funny watching folks argue over games that typically run like shit regardless of platform..Like watching the fights over multiplatform games that run like absolute shit even on the most capable of PC's(I got a 3090 and seen horrible performance on some of these titles)...and its like...y'all ready to decide how the entire generation plays out based on some horribly optimized unpatched bullshit..hell I got cod cold war for ps5 and series x and had the game/consoles crash on me in literally the same spot..that just happens to be the same spot the ps4/xb1 versions crashed those systems(or caused the controller for the ps4 to shut off while the game kept running oddly enough)...Shit like that makes me realize its not the consoles - its the shitty game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Out of all the games that released for both consoles thus far I don't even think the average person will be talking about any of them 6-10 months from now with the exception of Demon Souls. So its all real hilarious..Especially the console war threads filled with people insulting each other like mad when its a game the majority of the folks in the thread will never even play..I mean im pretty sure its more people calling each other 4 letter curse words in the Dirt 5 Digital foundry comparison thread..than there are folks who actually bought that bullshit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I kinda wish a Superman 64 remaster would pop up for PS5/Series X so we can watch them argue over which version runs better as if any of that shit saves it from being one of the worst games of all time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
i personally think people should of waited a couple of weeks before they start rolling out the comparison vids
most of the games are probably going to have a major patch which corrects any sort of issues and the consoles themselves are also going to get firmware updates.....this happened last gen and the gen before it (although it was a staggered release)

GenericUser

I care about them, it's interesting to see which console performs better in which situations/games. Just curiosity I guess. Nothing wrong with that as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom