• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite authors?

Zog

Banned
I am really just taking a break from gaming and getting into reading. I must say, I am enjoying myself. Currently I am reading The Outsider by Stephen King and I am almost done with it. I have picked up Killer Instinct by James Patterson and a lot of Star Trek books on ebay., The Institute and Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Not sure which I will read next but probably Killer Instinct because I am enjoying the murder mystery in The Outsider.

I am just wondering what authors you guys like?

Last edited:

Dark Star

Michael Crichton
Chuck Palahniuk
George R. R. Martin
Bram Stoker
R.L. Stine
Clive Barker
Brandon Sanderson
H.P. Lovecraft
C. S. Lewis
Mary Shelley
J.R.R. Tolkien
Dean Koontz
Mark Manson
Johnathan Rand
J.K. Rowling
Mark Z. Danielewski
Edgar Allen Poe
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited:
I'm pretty bad when it comes to newer stuff, don't really have any favourites that I gravitate towards. But as far as the classics go, I read F Scott, Steinbeck, Orwell and Salinger.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Contemporary, I will read everything from Lawrence Wright and Steven Pinker.

Classical authors - toomany

Shifty

Stephen King for The Dark Tower
Dan Abnett for his 40K Horus Heresy novels
Douglas Adams for Hitchiker's Guide
Philip Reeve for Mortal Engines

Last edited:
Isaac Asimov
Ray Bradbury
Philip Reeve
Stephen King
Arthur C. Clarke
Ben Bova
H.G. Wells

I tried reading H.P. Lovecraft but I don't really like his writing style. Same with Umberto Eco, after trying to read the first few pages of Foucault's Pendulum and it just wasn't for me. I also didn't finish Dracula. I'm sorry but some classic literature simply isn't interesting enough to read all the way through despite the ideas they might have.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Fiódor Dostoiévski. Outstanding wordcraft, with many intriguing characters. I'm reading a book of his for the first time but I'm already a huge fan.

Last edited:
I’ve always loved to read, and while there are numerous authors I love, the one I find myself consistently going back to is AOC. Her twitter feed is brilliance beyond what we currently are humanly capable of fully understanding. Her wit and cunning are otherworldly.

Every tweet is basically the new greatest thing to ever exist in the known and unknown universe.

Guiberu

Ben Elton.

"Blind Faith" is one of his best.

Arthur C Clarke.

"The Light of Other Days" being a favourite.

Alain Robbe-Grillet

"La Jalousie" is a completely unique method of telling a story.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Marquis de Sade since he made me stop reading alltogether
The fetishes in Salo were something else and I'd be banned in any forum were I to mention them

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
C.G. Jung.
Gene Wolfe.
John Ruskin.
Philip K Dick.
Dostoyevsky.
A.A. Attanasio.
Jorge Luis Borges.
Solzhenhitsyn .
Kierkegaard.
Eric Hoffer.
Leo Tolstoy.
Frank Herbert.
Probably some others.

AaronB

A few recent favorites:
Fantasy -Brandon Sanderson
Sci Fi - Sandy Mitchell (Caiphas Cain series)
Humor - Dave Barry
Action/Mystery - Lee Child (Jack Reacher series)

Top Bottom