• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Cop Who Finds He Has African Ancestry Sues City, Chief Over Racism

Mimosa97

No one considers miller wentworth black
1 drop rule only works if its obvious that a person is mixed. Which in most cases, it is

White supremacists definitely do. If you have just one black great-grandparent then according to their " purity " rules you are black. Same thing with " jewishness ".

White supremacists definitely do. If you have just one black great-grandparent then according to their " purity " rules you are black. Same thing with " jewishness ".
^definitely this, you don't even have to be a Klan type to get all shitty about Jewish people. Racist ass little Indiana kids called me dirty over it all growing up.

^definitely this, you don't even have to be a Klan type to get all shitty about Jewish people. Racist ass little Indiana kids called me dirty over it all growing up.

In northern Florida, Georgia, and Alabama I have been accused of being a Jew on numerous occasions.

Accused, as in they were clearly of the opinion that I was hiding my Jewish-ness and they were trying to get me to come clean. Also, it was clear that they felt Jew was essentially synonymous with non-white. I have also been accused of being hispanic or middle eastern. None of these folks were out of the closet Klan member types, they just knew better than I did about who gets to be white.

I'm of Irish and Italian descent.

mantidor

Race is 100% made up. Just this past month there was a story of biological twins who had different phenotype expressions. One is white looking and the other mixed. How are they different races?

Well because they are, race is arbitrary :p

Again, I'm not an expert but besides the "soft" sciences in the scientific consensus race is a completely outdated and inaccurate term, which they have replaced with migration patterns and stuff like that.

Anecdotal: I'm a Colombian living in Brazil, here in legal documents I'm "white" for insane reasons, back home no one would try to put a race on me beyond "mestizo", because my skin tone and features are average. In no way, shape or form I could be "white" in the US.

NimbusD

It's funny because they considered him white enough to be racist to his face and think it was funny.

Err, nevermind you don't have to be white for that, but it very much feels like that's the case.

Also fun to see someone identify as white go immediately to suing people acting racist towards them after learning of their ancestry. Sounds about right hah.

ResoRai

tumblr_maek7icI4D1qedyq5o1_500.gif

Just like that. Only took 18% too.

It's funny because they considered him white enough to be racist to his face and think it was funny.

Err, nevermind you don't have to be white for that, but it very much feels like that's the case.

Also fun to see someone identify as white go immediately to suing people acting racist towards them after learning of their ancestry. Sounds about right hah.

all of my thoughts and hot takes right here.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
While I applaud him for filing the case, I think at 18% he's 16% not white enough for a case to be ruled in his favor. We'll have to see.

ultrazilla

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...n-ancestry-lawuit_us_59121a90e4b05e1ca202840e

Read the whole thing please, but here's a snippet.

Another example of the gross shit that happens in police departments behind the scene.

It's pretty difficult to believe nowadays that the police aren't a force to protect middle class white people from the poor and not-white. If they're being racist to their own just for having 20% black in them, imagine what they think about and do to the people in their communities who are actually black/brown/not white

Also I'd like to point out the irony that the gentlemen's last name is Brown.

Welp, he'll be getting a really nice settlement. No way this goes in front of a jury.

18% brother, soon to be 100% wealthier!

Such ugly behavior. :(

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Welcome to the exciting world of bein black in America

Also it amazing how they went from zero to racist
I don't think they went from 0 to racist, I think they went from racist to "there's one, get him!"

I seriously doubt that's what happened. I'm sure he heard all the jokes (and possibly participated?) before he found out but then suddenly he was the butt rather than a participant and it didn't feel so good anymore! Weird.
What's weird is by the looks of it this kinda shit was a regular occurrence, so it's odd he'd come out so proud

Edit:eek:h absolutely rest

Cocaloch

This has never really made sense to me though like, there are certain things that are definitely genetic that are tied to race right? Like skin color is definitely genetic.

I know there's not like an actual "white" race or a "black" race but there are genetic attributes that are tied to race no?

We associate certain phenotypes, which can have a genetic component with certain races. That doesn't mean that the genes are somehow essentialized to the race or ethnicity. The assumption that they are is the cornerstone of scientific racism.

also - what does "race is a social construct" actually mean? If it's not something in your genetics, what is it?

Race is a category we put people into because of certain ideas that don't have anything in the way of a scientific basis. Which is to say that we call people black or white because we have been socially indoctrinated to feel the need to place people into these categories, while at the same time projecting traits that we've essentilized into the category onto the person.

Race exists in the sense that certain people are put into categories and are treated in certain ways because of that. Not in the sense of it being some platonic truth about the person in themselves.

ugh, if they are misleading products I won't want to waste my time and money on them. what is the best alternative?

The alternative, which is hard and for some impossible, is archival research.

Well because they are, race is arbitrary :p

Again, I'm not an expert but besides the "soft" sciences in the scientific consensus race is a completely outdated and inaccurate term, which they have replaced with migration patterns and stuff like that.

Anecdotal: I'm a Colombian living in Brazil, here in legal documents I'm "white" for insane reasons, back home no one would try to put a race on me beyond "mestizo", because my skin tone and features are average. In no way, shape or form I could be "white" in the US.

Race being social and race being made up aren't exactly the same thing. Race has no place in the sciences, you should drop the hard or soft, because race isn't scientific. However it is social, and is thus a major subject of inquiry in the social, again not soft, sciences.

TalonJH

Based on the title I thought the story would be about someone taking the piss and clambering for reparations when they found out they were 1/64th black.

This... is considerably worse. Even identifying as white didn't protect him from the one drop rule.

That's what I expected as well.

Cocaloch

not only is that impossible but this could be inaccessible for the most part and something tells me it could take a lifetime to find all the answers

Most of the pertinent archives, local records, will be open to the public actually. But you're right, it's a question that requires a lot of work to get answers. The appeal of these genetic tests is they give satisfying, though fake, answers without much effort.

Lol at people missing the sarcasm on the first page. They need italics?

He came back and said it wasn't sarcasm.

Nothing about it was obviously sarcasm.

Mimosa97

In northern Florida, Georgia, and Alabama I have been accused of being a Jew on numerous occasions.

Accused, as in they were clearly of the opinion that I was hiding my Jewish-ness and they were trying to get me to come clean. Also, it was clear that they felt Jew was essentially synonymous with non-white. I have also been accused of being hispanic or middle eastern. None of these folks were out of the closet Klan member types, they just knew better than I did about who gets to be white.

I'm of Irish and Italian descent.

Jesus Christ ... Did you complain ? I would lose my shit if my kid was bullied by bigots.

Also are you both millenials ? I can't believe I really used to think that this kind of shit would die with our generation. Boy was I wrong ...

Have you not paid attention to America at all last year? Let alone the last few years?

I'm not american.

R0ckman

This has never really made sense to me though like, there are certain things that are definitely genetic that are tied to race right? Like skin color is definitely genetic.

I know there's not like an actual "white" race or a "black" race but there are genetic attributes that are tied to race no?

To an extent yes, but that mainly becomes apparent when a selection of humans breeds more closely within a group. In Africa and India there is more variety in features than other parts of the world.

Race existed in the sense that people categorized others by families or tribes. Besides conquering and merging of different cultures, many times if cultures met based on non-hostiliy that had two different families they would stay separated. Race based on phenotype is a new construct.

Apt101

Haha. Holy shit. On one hand his fellow officers' reactions are what one would expect, but on the other this is like a skit from Chapelle's Show or Key and Peele.

Top Bottom