• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Cop Who Finds He Has African Ancestry Sues City, Chief Over Racism

I know this may seem like a strange question to ask...but if this guy showed up in blackface would it be alright? can he say the n word?

I really am curious how mixed race are treated on both ends. we can see how white people react... do black people not accept him either?

Black people can't wear blackface either. It is always wrong.

And no he can't say the n word. He's white. Identifies white, and is white to everyone else. He just happened to have discovered there's something there.

TSM

It's an odd zone to be in, to be a PoC through the blood in your veins but not in your appearance.

Being a pasty white Hispanic, I can relate to some extent, but being part of a demonized minority and yet never having been the direct subject of racial hatred is very surreal.

I'm a quarter american indian, but no one would ever know it unless I told them. Given that my grandmother moved away from the tribe, I have no connection whatsoever to my indian heritage.

Should have NEVER told anyone. Now the only thing you can do is take racism under NEW MURICA and say

moana-review-maui-youre-welcome-song-gif.gif

It's an odd zone to be in, to be a PoC through the blood in your veins but not in your appearance.

Being a pasty white Hispanic, I can relate to some extent, but being part of a demonized minority and yet never having been the direct subject of racial hatred is very surreal.

Yeah , either way i'm glad I'm not too visible Native American the worst insult everthrown at me is being called a "Halfbreed" and I didn't even know that was a derogatory term for mixed native ancestory till like last year ; It was something my dad would even call me when we get into disagreements.I'm sure if I was as dark as my mom I would be called stuff much worst lol. Sucks though that people feel the need the need to put others down just because of their ancestory hell I assume some of those officers were even his friends.

NandoGip

I'm the flip side. I'm brown, my name is latino as hell, and my hair is nappy (thanks mom), but I literally have no aspects of my families culture in my personality. I grew up influenced by a mixture of white and black american media, can't even speak my families language, yet because of how I look I'm clearly treated differently at times.

Volimar

Oh, yeah, this thread. Maybe I'll check back in to see what people are saying about the sto-

tenor.gif

Reading through the replies, I was halfway tempted to try and play off my original post as a joke as some people assumed, but I'll try and do the honourable thing and accept the pummelling for my apparent benightedness.

Up until I checked out this story, I have to confess that I had honestly never heard of Roots, nor about its subsequent adaptations! For what it's worth, I'm in my twenties and live in England and was never exposed to neither the book nor the 1970's mini-series, not even as a literature student, but clearly, that's not much of an excuse given its apparent cultural impact around the world. I simply assumed the officer in question was making some kind of strangely obscure literary reference in reference to some random novel I'd never heard about. I'm especially ashamed given that I'm now reading up on it and that it's apparently one of the most seminal literary works in US history. Please forgive me!

Does the 1970s series still hold up? I might check it out if I can find it somewhere.

Props to you for owning it instead of just disappearing.

Ploid 3.0

Hah this is what I was about to post after reading the OP. Sucks but, that's the way it goes unfortunately. The thing is, I doubt there's any pure "race" in the world, everyone is mixed with some of everything, it's not a bad thing either. What would you expect? Some type of monarch system where family breed with each other?

Crocodile

When I saw this headline on twitter, I thought it was a case of some white dude upset he couldn't say nigger all day long an/or screaming REVERSE RACISM at some diversity initiative or whatever nonsense.

The real story is actually pretty fucked up. I feel bad for the guy (though welcome to the club LOL). Also says a lot about the police department he (most officers) worked at >_<

I am kind of curious though, what is the threshold for being considered a black person?

Like, Obama was definitely our first black president and he was half white.

Is just kinda based on how like...everyone else treats you or considers you? Is there an appearance aspect to it? I know I've read some stuff before that even amongst black people, even some light skinned black sometimes have an easier time in some regards?

Alebrije

He was no pure. Clearly not deserves being called white.

Talking seriously, read somewhere that all we have african ancestors. Hope te guy wins.

StayDead

Wait until the rest of the force learns that literally everyone can trace their ancestry back to Africa if they go back enough

But seriously what a bunch of racist pricks. Not that I'm surprised

That's exactly what I was thinking. Don't most if not all humans have a percent of their DNA tracable back to Africa?

I don't understand how racism became thiis prevelant. Why did people ever decide to judge others based on the colour of their skin? It's so stupid.

NandoGip

I am kind of curious though, what is the threshold for being considered a black person?

Is just kinda based on how like...everyone else treats you or considers you? Is there an appearance aspect to it? I know I've read some stuff before that even amongst black people, even some light skinned black sometimes have an easier time in some regards?

Skin color and facial features. If you're white passing, then you have white privilege even if it's not as much privilege as the whitest white person. In my opinion blood doesn't even matter, you can be swedish by blood but if your skin is dark, you will pay for it at least once in your life

Skin color and facial features. If you're white passing, then you have white privilege even if it's not as much privilege as the whitest white person. In my opinion blood doesn't even matter, you can be swedish by blood but if your skin is dark, you will pay for it at least once in your life

yeah, that makes sense to me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVR3B01NxiM

But really Its not a clear cut question as different people have different "Requirements" for example Jennifer Beals is considered by many to be a black actress yet their also many people who wouldn't be able to tell.I guess the boring answer would be 25% or above but really its a super personal question and acceptance of any individual would vary by community and individuals either way .

Aselith

Welcome to the exciting world of bein black in America

Also it amazing how they went from zero to racist

I seriously doubt that's what happened. I'm sure he heard all the jokes (and possibly participated?) before he found out but then suddenly he was the butt rather than a participant and it didn't feel so good anymore! Weird.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVR3B01NxiM

But really Its not a clear cut question as different people have different "Requirements" for example Jennifer Beals is considered by many to be a black actress yet their also many people who wouldn't be able to tell.I guess the boring answer would be 25% or above but really its a super personal question and acceptance of any individual would vary by community and individuals either way .

Yeah I knew in a general sense it was probably something like that.

Zekes!

Different people have different answers. I'm half, but unlike Obama I'm White passing. I proudly consider myself Black though, while also recognizing I have White privilege. I tend to joke that it's like I got upgraded to 1st class by mistake. All the Black people I know personally consider me Black, but non-Black people consider me White (or occasionally ethnically ambiguous) until I mention being Black.

Developing a racial identity when you're mixed raced can be a difficult process

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Poor cops. I bet they were all so thrilled to be allowed to use as much racist language as they wanted and justify it by saying "But my
18%
black friend says it's okay!"

Just think it's amazing finding your ancestries. I love to find out my middle easterns ancestries though.
it is amazing. i have been thinking about this often. a thousand years ago there was someone who had a child and that lineage lives on in me. a thousand years from today god willing i will be a nothingness in the ground but there will be a living person traced back to me, thinking the same thing i am now.

my only question is, ancestry.com, 23andme, are these all pretty much the same services just from different companies? or are they different products entirely? if they are different entirely, what service does it show you? if they are the same essentially, which is better?

Different people have different answers. I'm half, but unlike Obama I'm White passing. I proudly consider myself Black though, while also recognizing I have White privilege. I tend to joke that it's like I got upgraded to 1st class by mistake. All the Black people I know personally consider me Black, but non-Black people consider me White (or occasionally ethnically ambiguous) until I mention being Black.

Developing a racial identity when you're mixed raced can be a difficult process

Definitely, the dynamics how that plays out are certainly interesting.

Koppai

Ugh, so besides the general population, they also harass their own. Maybe this will start a chain reaction throughout the country and more police come forward. This shit is just so sickening.

Cocaloch

my only question is, ancestry.com, 23andme, are these all pretty much the same services just from different companies? or are they different products entirely? if they are different entirely, what service does it show you? if they are the same essentially, which is better?

Honestly none of them are very good if you want to know your ethnicity. They aren't quite scams, but they are incredibly misleading about what the test shows.

Ethnicity and Race are not genetic. Thinking they are lead to some pretty horrible ideas in the early 20th century.

v3numb

This guy's got it rough, man. I mean, just imagine, one day you're white and no one around you is racist, the next you're 18% black and suddenly all of your cop friends turn into racists. Crazy!

HaloRose

Banned
it is amazing. i have been thinking about this often. a thousand years ago there was someone who had a child and that lineage lives on in me. a thousand years from today god willing i will be a nothingness in the ground but there will be a living person traced back to me, thinking the same thing i am now.

I like ancestry.com but never use 23andme but i have hear good things about it. But ancestry is really cheap it's only about £53 pound in the uk.

Why the fuck would a black dude, mixed or not, want to show up in blackface?
Very suspect line of questioning

I'm thinking in my head things that are never obvious...

but this guy just had a huge identity crisis. he has been white his whole life until some thing on the Internet said naw, you're not. He is being treated as if he were 100% black by white people around him, down to every epithet they can throw at him. He lost his white identity. well, can he try going to identify as black? but he doesn't look it. can he work on doing a reverse Michael Jackson? will he ever be accepted by any group? where does this guy fit in now? who accepts him as a part of their group? and don't tell me "the human race"...that's bullshit. everyone has a group identity. this guy, however, doesn't seem to have one, and it must be jarring.

I ask these questions because I really don't know how people react to this. and it's also funny being called a racist almost instantaneously because I ask questions.

Socreges

Banned
Oh, yeah, this thread. Maybe I'll check back in to see what people are saying about the sto-

tenor.gif

Reading through the replies, I was halfway tempted to try and play off my original post as a joke as some people assumed, but I'll try and do the honourable thing and accept the pummelling for my apparent benightedness.

Up until I checked out this story, I have to confess that I had honestly never heard of Roots, nor about its subsequent adaptations! For what it's worth, I'm in my twenties and live in England and was never exposed to neither the book nor the 1970's mini-series, not even as a literature student, but clearly, that's not much of an excuse given its apparent cultural impact around the world. I simply assumed the officer in question was making some kind of strangely obscure literary reference in reference to some random novel I'd never heard about. I'm especially ashamed given that I'm now reading up on it and that it's apparently one of the most seminal literary works in US history. Please forgive me!

Does the 1970s series still hold up? I might check it out if I can find it somewhere.
I enjoyed this very much. Thank you for your honesty.

Honestly none of them are very good if you want to know your ethnicity. They aren't quite scams, but they are incredibly misleading about what the test shows.

Ethnicity and Race are not genetic. Thinking they are lead to some pretty horrible ideas in the early 20th century.

This has never really made sense to me though like, there are certain things that are definitely genetic that are tied to race right? Like skin color is definitely genetic.

I know there's not like an actual "white" race or a "black" race but there are genetic attributes that are tied to race no?

Top Bottom