• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Cop Who Finds He Has African Ancestry Sues City, Chief Over Racism

NandoGip

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...n-ancestry-lawuit_us_59121a90e4b05e1ca202840e

Read the whole thing please, but here's a snippet.

Michigan police officer Cleon Brown is suing his chief and the city after a chain of events that began when he took a genetic test through Ancestry.com in December and was surprised to learn he could trace 18 percent of his DNA to regions in Africa.

Brown was also surprised by how his fellow officers in the Hastings Police Department reacted to the news.

He said the police chief called him “Kunte,” after the character in Alex Haley’s novel “Roots: The Saga of an American Family,” while other officers whispered “Black lives matter” when they walked past, according to MLive.com.

Even the mayor, who has since retired, made cracks, according to Brown’s attorney, Karie Boylan, who has filed a lawsuit on Brown’s behalf.

“There was an instance where my client was talking to the mayor, and the mayor ― upon learning that my client was 18 percent African-American ― proceeded to tell him a racist joke” using a racial slur, she told CBS Detroit.

Brown said the Christmas tree in the police department lobby was decorated with Santa figurines named after each officer on the force. Brown’s Santa was black with “18 percent” written on the beard, according to WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids.

Brown has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Hastings, the town’s police chief, its deputy chief, a sergeant and the city manager.

Another example of the gross shit that happens in police departments behind the scene.

It's pretty difficult to believe nowadays that the police aren't a force to protect middle class white people from the poor and not-white. If they're being racist to their own just for having 20% black in them, imagine what they think about and do to the people in their communities who are actually black/brown/not white

Also I'd like to point out the irony that the gentlemen's last name is Brown.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

giphy.gif

Wait until the rest of the force learns that literally everyone can trace their ancestry back to Africa if they go back enough

But seriously what a bunch of racist pricks. Not that I'm surprised

I kind of hope he wins the suit.
But I kind of hope he doesn't.

On one hand it will make the officers in the precinct think about their actions, or at least highlight the problem that black people have been speaking on since FOR-FUCKING-EVER.
On the other, if he doesn't win, it will show the officer that is suing a small taste of how black people feel when we face Injustice​.

Valhelm

contribute something
It's shitty how this one guy was treated, but this has even worse implications for police attitudes toward actual black people

not that we didn't know this already

MaulerX

I kind of hope he wins the suit.
But I kind of hope he doesn't.

On one hand it will make the officers in the precinct think about their actions, or at least highlight the problem that black people have been speaking on since FOR-FUCKING-EVER.
On the other, if he doesn't win, it will show the officer that is suing a small taste of how black people feel when we face Injustice​.

Win or lose he already feels it.

Jeff-DSA

It's disheartening how "being black" is a joke to these people. I mean, gross. I can't even understand the mindset, but I know it's awful.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Police department has no octaroon policy. But the interesting part of the story is the embedded casually corrosive racism.

Top Bottom