• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Xbox console did Microsoft do best with regarding their first-party ip output?

Xbox console with the best Microsoft first-party ip output?

• Xbox

Votes: 71 24.6%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 211 73.0%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters
Poll says it all, 360 had one banger after another throughout lifecycle. By the time the PS3 caught up in 2011, 360 already had a veritable library and BC (also a slim version that didn't rrod frequently). Those were the golden years

Codes 208

a bit of a bump but I’ll play this game.

the og xbox had a good list of first parties, it needed to, it was MS’s first step into the console market but the 360 definitely perfected it and to this day stands in my top three consoles of all time. You have Gears back when it was new and fresh, fable 2, forza stretching its legs out with horizon, Rare’s experimental games (before Kinect ruined them) like banjo kazooie nuts and bolts, viva piñata and kameo. Surprise hits like Crackdown, unexpected delights like blue dragon. And arguably one of the best games of all time: halo 3. (And halo reach to a lesser extent but this era was definitely the peak of halo)

then Xbox one sadly dropped the ball and was what eventually drove me to pc and PlayStation last gen. But Xbox has become more of an ecosystem than a console so it wasn’t a complete loss, I enjoy playing halo MCC on my pc.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
People who picked Xbox 360, I am sorely disappointed with you.

The original Xbox had a far better exclusive presence.

The pic is up there but dude, Phantom Dust? Halo CE and Halo 2? CONKER? FABLE? PGR? Crimson Skies? The first Forza?

YOU GUYS ARE OUT OF YOUR DAMN MINDS.

That's not even including the 3rd party exclusives. The original Splinter Cell? Otogi? The original Ninja Gaiden reboot?

OG Xbox was absolute fire. Literally Amaterasu.

Xbox 360 was full of sequels. OG Xbox was NEW IP CENTRAL.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Original Xbox

Xbox 360 started strong but dropped off immensely towards the end

Xbox had hits from day one and was great just in terms of exclusives, even if some were not necessarily first party. And it really felt like they came with a response to everything Sony was doing

Halo was a juggernaut
Forza and PGR2 were legit great racing games to take on GT
Ninja Gaiden took on DMC and GOW and was arguably better
KOTOR and Morrowind took on FF and started a movement of WRPGs to console. Fable and Jade Empire also proved solid
Splinter Cell was throwing blows with MGS at every step
They had a bunch of forgotten but great sporty games like Top Spin and Rallisport Challenge 2
Games like Riddick were awesome surprise hits
Downports of Doom 3 and Half Life 2 didn't live up to PC but at least Xbox got them
Sleeper hits like Panzer Dragoon and Crimson Skies

Probably the only area they tried but couldn't get right was platformers

ahtlas7

Anyone play Azurik? That game was a mess. ...one of my biggest disappointments.

Original Xbox gets the gold! So many new titles to play.

Last edited:

Bramble

Lol. How is Xbox One even an option. That's like the worst console ever made regarding first party output, of all brands, period.

Sony

Nintendo
I'd say Xbox Original, because the following games were genre defining for generations to come:
Halo
Fable
Project Gotham Racing
Forza Motorsport

Lol. How is Xbox One even an option. That's like the worst console ever made regarding first party output, of all brands, period.
It depends, some would say the FP lineup of the Xbox One is the only reason why its going to sell 50-60 million in its life. When you look at 2013 until now and look at the official and leaked sales figures of games, third party exclusives did much worse than first party exclusive on average. Killer Instinct, Gears, Forza, Horizon, Halo, Sea of Theives, Ori, and State of decay are pretty much the only reasons people brought the Xbox One outside Titanfall, Ryse, and Dead Rising 3 in the earlier days. One could argue that shows how strong those brands are.

But I would personally choose the first Xbox and 360 over the Xbox One myself.

Probably the only area they tried but couldn't get right was platformers
Eh, they had Sonic, Ty, and the other crossplatform stuff, and Blinx and Voodoo were ok.

They also had Oddworld exclusive for a bit and that was a big one.

On that note, don't forget that Microsoft had Forza and Sega GT to go after GT as well as a few PC simulation racers that weren't on the PS2.

Yoboman

It depends, some would say the FP lineup of the Xbox One is the only reason why its going to sell 50-60 million in its life. When you look at 2013 until now and look at the official and leaked sales figures of games, third party exclusives did much worse than first party exclusive on average. Killer Instinct, Gears, Forza, Horizon, Halo, Sea of Theives, Ori, and State of decay are pretty much the only reasons people brought the Xbox One outside Titanfall, Ryse, and Dead Rising 3 in the earlier days. One could argue that shows how strong those brands are.

But I would personally choose the first Xbox and 360 over the Xbox One myself.

Eh, they had Sonic, Ty, and the other crossplatform stuff, and Blinx and Voodoo were ok.

They also had Oddworld exclusive for a bit and that was a big one.

On that note, don't forget that Microsoft had Forza and Sega GT to go after GT as well as a few PC simulation racers that weren't on the PS2.
Blinx and Voodoo were terrible. Especially when Sony were putting out Jak, Ratchet and Sly and Nintendo of course had Mario and I mentioned Forza

Blinx and Voodoo were terrible. Especially when Sony were putting out Jak, Ratchet and Sly and Nintendo of course had Mario and I mentioned Forza
I was bringing up that MS had Forza and Sega GT as an agreement to what you said.

I also mentioned that Xbox had oddworld and better versions of crossplatform platformers so it wasn't too big of a loss.

Yoboman

I was bringing up that MS had Forza and Sega GT as an agreement to what you said.

I also mentioned that Xbox had oddworld and better versions of crossplatform platformers so it wasn't too big of a loss.
The multiplat platformers in that gen kind of sucked and the exclusive Oddworld was a disappointment

Its definitely the genre there was a big gap

The multiplat platformers in that gen kind of sucked and the exclusive Oddworld was a disappointment

Its definitely the genre there was a big gap
Psychonauts, Rayman, Crash, Sonic, etc, it basically got enough to cover it along with Blinx and others. I don't see Jak and Ratchet that much ahead of everything, same with Sly, and the Gamecube wasn't exactly hot either imo.

My point is that the first Xbox was "unknown territory", and yet Atlus made an exclusive game for them.
5 years later was clear that Microsoft would not abandon the brand, so exclusive games would be more natural (or less risky).
Actually there was more than just Atlus for Japan exclusives, but Japanese developers have cited it's power as one of the reasons why they focused on the Xbox, even the exclusives that were timed. That's likely the main reason why there are any Japan only exclusives on the first Xbox.

I want to replay Brute force.

Isn't that BC?

Last edited:

TheGrat1

It seems that around 2004 early Xbox found their favorite formula for sports games covers: The athlete(s) standing on a glowing orange disk, bathed in the light. :messenger_grinning_smiling: Man, those look terrible.

Halo 2 made me vote for OG Xbox.

It seems that around 2004 early Xbox found their favorite formula for sports games covers: The athlete(s) standing on a glowing orange disk, bathed in the light. :messenger_grinning_smiling: Man, those look terrible.

Halo 2 made me vote for OG Xbox.
They wanted to have their Xbox Sports Network(XSN) lineup have an identity that would separate them from other sports titles. It would be nice if they brought that back, EA only has NFL inaccessible Microsoft can produce other sports games freely as long as they aren't NFL. They could even make a football game without the NFL license, but if Blitz is anything to go buy that doesn't hold over well.

I do wonder if EA has the NCAA license exclusive, if not MIcrosoft and even Sony could make a college football game. Not as popular as the NFL but those NCAA games had their fans.

supernova8

Banned
Wow OG Xbox had an amazing first party lineup for a first console outing for Microsoft. I was firmly in love with PS2 at the time so I don't really recall it.

Top Bottom