• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Xbox console did Microsoft do best with regarding their first-party ip output?

Xbox console with the best Microsoft first-party ip output?

• Xbox

Votes: 71 24.6%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 211 73.0%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

Unk Adams

Banned
Also, fun fact: Nightcaster II and Amped 3 were actually not first party titles, at least in NA. Nightcaster II was published by Jaleco and Amped 3 was published by 2K Games while the originals were in fact published by Microsoft. Maximum Chase was published by Microsoft Game Studios in Japan but Majesco in the U.S. despite having both logos on the NA box art.

More fun facts that probably no one cares about: Sneakers was also a Toys R' Us exclusive. Kakuto Chojin was later pulled from store shelves after some controversy.

It's almost like they knew that some of these games were either not commercially viable anymore or just plain bad games and wanted to distance themselves from them in one way or another.

This is the unfortunate answer.
The edit you added to his post is questionable-

24 million
87 million
55-60 million

That's a minimum 165 million consoles sold. With only 3 home machines and no portables. One being in the longest gen of all time.

That looks way more than just ok in console sales. Especially a late entrant starting in 2001.

I mean at the end of the day Microsoft did better than Nintendo with traditiinal Home consoles since 2001 even with the Wii fad. Without it it would be a massacre.

I mean at the end of the day Microsoft did better than Nintendo with traditiinal Home consoles since 2001 even with the Wii fad. Without it it would be a massacre.
Let's not be picky about our stats, because we would have to cut out all the 360s sold after the Kinect release and try to figure out how many were sold to those who bought many because of the rrod incident.

So GameCube: 22mil units released in nov 2001
Xbox: 24mil units... Released at about the same date

360: 84 million units
Wii: 101.63mil units

If we put Sony's sales numbers it's even worse because MS at best ended up in a virtual tie dor the second position every time they entered a console generation. Every single time behind Sony after everything is counted.

Do you also not count the switch? You know it's also a portable console.

Let's not be picky about our stats, because we would have to cut out all the 360s sold after the Kinect release and try to figure out how many were sold to those who bought many because of the rrod incident.

If we put Sony's sales numbers it's even worse because MS at best ended up in a virtual tie dor the second position every time they entered a console generation. Every single time behind Sony after everything is counted.

The 84 million is from 2014. We have not received any final tally from MS. Kinect came out in 2009 btw.

But just based on NPD they are close to ps3 whether in front or behind.

No matter how you spn it, they did good every gen they were in relatively. First they beat the Gamecube even after not giving the Xbox first party support after 2005 to focus on the 360, while Gamecube was $30 with rebate or free with 4 games above a certain value.

360 it defined the gen despite "losing" to the Wii and moved sizable numbers.

One had a slow start after launch but picked up after the 2014 emergency holiday sales. Picked up again after S and X. Will still sell between 55-60 million in the end assuming that 50 million leak was true.

I mean that's a pretty good amount of consoles moved. Even with the Wii fad it's better, and last I checked Nintendo was done with traditional home consoles.

I mean it's one thing to not like Xbox games, but saying they did just ok at selling consoles each gen is very delusional.

Kilau

Gold Member
I’m kinda wondering what the definition of first party is here. You have a game like Amped 3 that is not made or published by MS. So is this about Microsoft studios output or more about exclusives?

Camreezie

1. 360
2. XBOX
3. XBOX ONE

360 was leagues above the others. They also had some timed exclusive new IPs which helped grow them into series. Mass Effect, Dead Risimg , Lost Planet etc

I’m kinda wondering what the definition of first party is here. You have a game like Amped 3 that is not made or published by MS. So is this about Microsoft studios output or more about exclusives?
OP thread title says ip, so I'm assuming he meant ips owned by Microsoft. As far as I know they still own Amped but I do wonder why they didn't publish Amped 3 like you, strange. I don't recall Sony ever doing anything that.

On one hand it was cool that they actually experimented with original ideas on the original Xbox. The results weren't very good in most cases, though. Their "generic" games (FPS, sports games, racing, online, etc.) were actually great while the unique games looked interesting but were terrible games to actually play.

Now, it's been years since I've actually played Blinx 1 and 2 but I remember both of them being infuriating to actually play for different reasons. The first game had an annoying timer that made it frustrating and the second game was too easy with annoying tutorials every few minutes which interrupted the game constantly. I actually liked the atmosphere of both games. The gameplay itself was the problem.
Some of them were alright, and a few like Blinx have a dedicated fanbase for some reason.

fatmarco

God the Xbox One gen was awful.

I think for me I have fonder memories of the Xbox 1 first party games but the actual 360 exclusive list is better overall.

The Xbox One gen... You have to put real effort in to be that bad. I mean that is just beyond embarrassing when you remove the ports/ remasters/ remakes and kinect based titles.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
This thread really reminds me how shitty most game covers are. Jeez that’s a big pile of shit.

and wtf was that “NUDE” game on the xbox?
This is because the majority of them are Western ones. Just look at how bad the Western covers of Japanese games usually are.

Xellos

Original Xbox was my favorite. It had some rough spots, but it also had Crimson Skies, Mech Assault, and launched Halo & Fable. It was fun seeing MS try different things. 360 was pretty great too, at least through 2010.

Original Xbox was my favorite. It had some rough spots, but it also had Crimson Skies, Mech Assault, and launched Halo & Fable. It was fun seeing MS try different things. 360 was pretty great too, at least through 2010.

Same, OG Xbox output was so good and so varied. Those titles were just so great for their time, I played so much Crimson Skies, Halo, & MechAssault. I would pay an obscene amount of money for a new Crimson Skies and MechAssault.

I voted for the original Xbox but I will admit that for the first few years of the Xbox 360 they were still pretty strong with their IP output. It wasn't really until the last half of that generation that it kind of dwindled down to just Kinect and it seemed like Sony really was doing much better with their first party output and exclusives. Also, I don't understand why we never saw a sequel to Crimson Skies or the MechAssault games... I love those.

Genx3

RROD Consoles were repaired and resold to the public for cheap.
That means that they still count as consoles sold

Tschumi

Og!

turn up rage GIF by THUMP

Someone trying to tell me Yager wasn't xbox exclusive?!?!?

images

Hahaha memories... Azurk... B-B-Blinx bwahahaha... Brute Force ermageeeerd... Crimson Skies still the best of its genre. Halo still the best of its series. Quantum Redshift an acceptable stand in for Wipeout. And, king of kings, from the song of the same name: Conker: Live and Reloaded :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

8d2d4a85c8ce484e3bc4e46e56856aa6.gif

Best multiplayer on the system, local and live, COME AT MEEE

Come At Me Will Ferrell GIF

Also, what about Outlaw Golf? Fun and fappaaage

excited pelvic thrust GIF

images

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
With the Xbox One being replaced by the Series X I think it's time to review how well Microsoft have managed their first party ips for all 3 of their recent consoles over the last 20 years. I'm only including major first party ip console releases developed by MS studios or a third party, not including digital titles. Of course, also not counting games that are on competing consoles like Minecraft. (Gears would not count for the 360 since it was brought the Xbox One Generation. Bethesda/Zenimax games of course won't count, those will apply to the Series X generation that just started)

Xbox
b4DWA6I.jpeg

Xbox 360

hkzR8I9.jpeg

Xbox One
T8OKQxA.png

Mention any overlooked Microsoft owned console title in the thread.
Imo, the Xbox One may actually be just as good if not better than the 360 looking at it from a strictly Microsoft ip perspective. I do give the edge to the first Xbox though, more experimental and more great titles. I will say thought that PGR3 and PGR4 still look great even now.

Looking at these screenshots which console do you think MS did the best job with first party wise?
The xbox one, is missing quite a few games Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3, Crimsom Dragon and more.

Not going to vote, as I can't decide tbh, I mean original xbox had JSRF, Halo, Amped etc and nostalgia, xbox 360, had lost odyssey, Gears, Halo etc.
Xbox one, had my fave halo and gears and forza games (and killer Instinct, sea of thieves nd the ori games )

I do think series x is going to by far the best line up over its gen though.

Last edited:

the_master

OG Xbox. MS went all out to enter a well established market. I wish we could live a similar event again.

Also, the console was a beast, clearly the most powerful at the time

Caio

I loved XBox 360, my most favourite Microsoft Console. Gears and Gears2 were WOW, textures textures and textures :D what a constant textures work, mostly Gears2, and I loved the gameplay. Halo3 also was so impressive, really beautiful.
Bioshock a work of art, enough reason to buy a 360, even though the game was just time exclusive.
I also like a lot my XBox One X, and can't deny Forza Horizon 4 impressed me so much that I started laughing like a kid for the happines I felt whatching all that amount of details, textures, geometry and beauty. Playground games are Gods, and Forza Horizon 5 cannot come soon enough, I will buy XSX the same day the game releases.

Javthusiast

Banned
For my gaming tastes? Not a single xbox generation gave me anything I have wanted as much as many sony ips. I hope this new xbox era and Studios will deliver finally.

oldergamer

Also, fun fact: Nightcaster II and Amped 3 were actually not first party titles, at least in NA. Nightcaster II was published by Jaleco and Amped 3 was published by 2K Games while the originals were in fact published by Microsoft. Maximum Chase was published by Microsoft Game Studios in Japan but Majesco in the U.S. despite having both logos on the NA box art.

More fun facts that probably no one cares about: Sneakers was also a Toys R' Us exclusive. Kakuto Chojin was later pulled from store shelves after some controversy.

It's almost like they knew that some of these games were either not commercially viable anymore or just plain bad games and wanted to distance themselves from them in one way or another.
You are correct on Nightcaster. The floors in nightcaster were shown to the halo team which got them to use bump mapping in the original halo. The only issue was nightcaster didn't use any bump mapping.

I worked at Jaleco back then. Ahhh Kakuto chojin was pretty bad.

Zeroing

Banned
Xbox 360 had 3 things in the console favor! It had more exclusives, it was launched 1 year before the PS3 and it was easier to develop
Then mid gen, all the focus changed to Kinect and the following gen is a sad story.

the Xbox 360 was the most popular console from MS.

RROD Consoles were repaired and resold to the public for cheap.
That means that they still count as consoles sold
Then they broke again, what an amazing deal... Also, pray for those who bought 5, yet still praise MS.

I will not buy a 360 to this day because I don't know what I will end up with.

Xbox360 by far. Had had great exclusives, was first on the market, third party games looked and ran better than PS3 in the beginning, almost had me completely switch to xbox only. But that RROD was cancer. Only MS with its infinite marketing money made it look like it wasnt a big deal.

People were literally fixing it 4-5 times. I honestly dont have a clue how that didn't burry them. Think they even announced that like 85% were prone to it. When mine died once i said fuck this shit.

Last edited:
I think we are talking about first party and not just exclusives. If we were talking about just exclusives (console) I will say the original Xbox. Half Life 2, Doom 3, Morrow Wind, Halo, Fable, Crimson skies, Star wars the Old republic and more.

BabyYoda

Banned
Gears definitely counts for the 360 generation, it was one of the best games for that gen, not really sure I'm following your logic there (edit: oh I see, still, it was a first party published game though, doesn't that count?). The 360 is my choice, it's gave me my 2nd fave console gen ever after the Mega Drive, not including the stupid red ring of death, that really soured things...but yeah, when Gears was revealed, it was clear then that the next gen had arrived, not seen that much of a jump forward graphically since! ODST, B&K: Nuts & Bolts and Kameo were also really liked my me!

The Xbox one is better than it's given credit for, but obviously falls short of the competition. I like that you've put this together, but I'd also like to see a list that included all exclusives, cos if you include all of those, things look a lot better for all three consoles imho.

My fave gaming moment ever was Halo CE on the original Xbox though, nothing comes close to that!

Last edited:

Jadsey

3 people voted Xbox One??!!

I voted for the OG Xbox. That machine was glorious.

I did love the Xbox 360 though, also an amazing console for exclusives.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As of now, it's Xbox 360. I only owned Xbox for ESPN NFL 2K5 and FlyingFinn's PC gamesave editor. Didn't play a single other game on the console. Xbox One was the equivalent of PlayStation 3 for me. Only 5 exclusives but at a lower level than PlayStation 3. However, once the current generation ends, Xbox Series will be the best in regards to Microsoft's first party output as they will surpass Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined. At least for me anyway.

bxrz

360 obviously but this gen should eclipse that considering they only had, what, 5 1st party studios during the 360 gen?

iHaunter

Xbox 360 100%.

XB1 was a flop, XSX is following in it's footsteps. Phil has secured some big studios, so we'll have to see how it turns out. This far in and 0 exclusive games out. Only one small timed exclusive that didn't even do well.

Last edited:
XB1 took more risks and had variety but the 360 had the bigger hits
i think sony shittng the bed with the ps3 really did help the 360 library look much better than it was as there was quite a-lot of shooters and multiplayer only titles but compared to the xbone it was miles better

Top Bottom