• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the best game from 'the year of Mega Man'? Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, or Mega Man Legends?

Best game from the year of Mega Man?

• Mega Man 8

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Mega Man X4

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Mega Man Legends

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Mega Man Battle and Chase

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In NA 1997 was 'the year of Mega Man', not only because of the 34 games that released during that year, but it was the first time that Capcom had decided to try and expand the audience for the series. The result of that is these 34 Mega Man games were the first to have major budgets.

The 34 games are Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, and what would later be called Mega Man Legends when it released widely to the public the next year (but was available to subscribers in 1997) adding a new series to the franchise. Mega Man Battle and Chase a 3D racing game, was also released.

All these games were major steps up for the series, breathtaking graphics, voice acting, anime cutscenes, polygon graphics, fast paced 2D gameplay, exploratory 3D gameplay, deeper stories and plot, high speed racing and customization, and all of this was supposed to help Capcom expand the franchise. I mean they didn't, but you can't say they didn't try.. One thing you can't say is they didn't put in the effort but sadly, these games sold well at best but unfortunately didn't attract the bigger audience Capcom wanted, and worst of all things would start to go downhill after.

Reviewing these 4 games, which did you like and which did you not? Which would you say ended up being your favorite?

Sorry about that, I forgot Battle and Chase also released in 1997, not in NA, but a limited English European version was released in 1997 and a major version later. It was eventually released in NA but only in the Mega Man X collection. What a great year to be a Mega Man fan, too bad none of these ended up working out in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

ChazAshley

In terms of being a game that's near and dear to my heart, definitely Legends. So many good memories with that game.

But in terms of picking it up and playing it every so often, Mega Man X4 no doubt.

Wait MM8 came out that year too??

If I were dead and buried with some physical video games in my grave...X4 definitely would be one of the games in that grave. I wouldn't be the gamer I was today if it weren't for that legendary game.

Mabdia

This one!

I really wished that the collection have that music and X6's. Amazing songs.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Its between 8 and Legends for me since X4 is rubbish. I'll go with 8 since Legends was still a bit rough.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gotta be Mega Man Legends

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Mega Man X4 and Mega Man 8 are two of my favorite games ever, but I'd have to go with MMX4. I just love how fast the gameplay is. But 8 is an immensely satisfying game, too, and probably the most underrated in the series... errybody wants to shit on it because it's different from the games that came before it.

Legends for me. I absolutely adore that game and its sequel. It is my only exposure to MegaMan, but they're 2 of my favorite games of all time. I still have my original ps1 copies from 97 and 99.

kunonabi

This is not a take you hear often, do you mind sharing what you don't like about X4?

I think the level design is abysmal especially in regards to how you collect the various power-ups. They just kind of hand them to you instead of really making distinct challenges and puzzles for most of them. I didnt really care for the boss fights either.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
X4, but the bar isn’t very high.

8 isn’t half bad, but Megaman is too small relative to the screen compared to previous games. As a result, the game feels very slow. Then you have atrocious English VA, that ball subweapon, and “Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!”. I don’t care much for the extremely cartoony style, either, and the music is quite forgettable.

X4 has bad VA, very questionable level design, levels split in 2 parts, and the general artstyle is terrible if compared to what Capcom had achieved with X3 on the SNES. It’s not a great game, but it flows better than 8.

Both games are a step back from their respective predecessors in everything. On the whole, though, X4 is a better game than X3 because X3 is too hard and has too much backtracking to get secret stuff.

SkylineRKR

MM8 is pretty damn good. I still liked it within the collection. I think X4 is better though. Zero gameplay shakes things up quite a bit and I felt the game is more suited to him.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Legends just holds a special place in my heart and was something so unexpected that it blew me away, it was like when I loaded up Mario 64 for the first time.

The thing is despite how old it is the art style has managed to make the game hold up amazingly well, I wish Capcom would include it and its half finished sequel + spin off in some collection pack, the day they announced that megaman legends 3 was cancelled was a very sad day indeed.

Legends for me. I absolutely adore that game and its sequel. It is my only exposure to MegaMan, but they're 2 of my favorite games of all time. I still have my original ps1 copies from 97 and 99.

I believe Legends 2 was 2000.

Yeah...

My Gravity queen is the Best ❤️

Didn't know who that was until I looked up the game. I never cared for the Vita so I never really payed attention to the series.

I think the level design is abysmal especially in regards to how to you collect the various power-ups.
I don't recall X4 having power-ups in the stages. Maybe my memory is fuzzy.

X4, but the bar isn’t very high.

8 isn’t half bad, but Megaman is too small relative to the screen compared to previous games. As a result, the game feels very slow. Then you have atrocious English VA, that ball subweapon, and “Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!”. I don’t care much for the extremely cartoony style, either, and the music is quite forgettable.

X4 has bad VA, very questionable level design, levels split in 2 parts, and the general artstyle is terrible if compared to what Capcom had achieved with X3 on the SNES. It’s not a great game, but it flows better than 8.

Actually the 2 part stages came from MM8, it had them too. But yeah I almost forgot about the bad voice acting in MM8, Astro Man was extremely annoying. He's even worse if you have the weakness weapon and put the target on him, the game just stops until you let go of the fire button. I mean it seriously stops the game so you can hear Astro Mans "owee" voice clips played right next to each other infinitely. I wish there was a clip of it somewhere.

You can also stun lock him as seen in this video at :55

yurinka

'The year of Mega Man'? None of these games were great. Mega Man had many other better years, even when they only released a single game that was way better than these ones. Like the recent Mega Man 11.

Mega Man 8 and X4 were worse than the previous entry on their series. Mega Man Legends had an awesome art style but its gameplay wasn't properly adapted to 3D and felt too poor. And well, Battle & Chase was crap having CTR and MK.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I believe Legends 2 was 2000.

Didn't know who that was until I looked up the game. I never cared for the Vita so I never really payed attention to the series.

I don't recall X4 having power-ups in the stages. Maybe my memory is fuzzy.

Actually the 2 part stages came from MM8, it had them too. But yeah I almost forgot about the bad voice acting in MM8, Astro Man was extremely annoying. He's even worse if you have the weakness weapon and put the target on him, the game just stops until you let go of the fire button. I mean it seriously stops the game so you can hear Astro Mans "owee" voice clips played right next to each other infinitely. I wish there was a clip of it somewhere.

You can also stun lock him as seen in this video at :55

You miss one of the Best IP of gaming industry modern

Never heard of Battle chase until this thread, looked up reviews and forum posts, seems the game is broken outside a couple characters and the cars drive like they are on ice.

The music doesn't make sense either listening to the ost how do you race to this????? youtube.com/watch?v=gOq_EUpjIOs

Last edited:
Top Bottom