• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHICH TYPE (MAYBE TYPES) OF GAME DO YOU LIKE BEST?

WHICH TYPE (MAYBE TYPES) DO YOU LIKE BEST?

• cRPG or something like Divinity: Original Sin/Pathfinder

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • ARPG/ACT like souls: MH; Sifu

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • ARPG/ACT like DMC and Dynasty Warriors

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • RPG/ACT/ADV with good plots like Red Dead Redemption 2/Witch3/TLOU/Death Stranding

Votes: 66 55.5%
  • JRPG classical

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • SPG/RAC (GT-race; Eu-Trunk or something;DCS)/MUG

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Rogue like/lite DBG

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • RTS

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Strategy/4x/sim for 4X

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • turnbased SLG

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Visual novels/AVG/Galgames

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • competitive fighting game:like street frighter/tekken

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • ADV

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Business simulation games

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Any other things with good plots

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • Metroidvania

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • FPS

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Diablo-like games

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • other

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • open world games

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • 2d platformers and shoot

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Action adventure (like Tomb Raider/Uncharted/GoW 2018/Horizon/Spider-Man)

Votes: 61 51.3%
  • Rogue like/lite Dungeness

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • flight simulators

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • car games

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • 2D platformers/action games
  • 3D hack n slashes
  • Survival horror
  • Action horror
  • Games that combine multiple gameplay types like part 2D, part 3D, etc.

There's more than that, I'll play any game that I end up liking regardless of labels or popularity

Mozzarella

I like all sort of games, any genre that offers me a good gaming experience i will tend to enjoy, im not a one dimensional type of gamer who only enjoy one specific game design (e.g Souls fanboy, JRPG fanboy, CRPG fanboy, Strategy, fighting..etc)
I play and enjoy all type of games and i can understand different thing a game is going for, but based on my experience after all these years playing games i usually find a lot of enjoyment in:

1- Games that allow me to creatively solve my way out of their encounters via intricate level design and interesting mechanics. (Immersive Sim)
2- Games that offer me engaging story and adventure where i meet different characters, progress and upgrade myself and become something i aspired, told through good stories, immersive world shaped by my choices (Role-Playing)
3- 2D or 3D metroidvania style of games where i explore interesting worlds, backtrack through levels and as i progress i unlock more tools that help me, discover secrets and overcome challenges. (Metroidvania or also Action/Adventure-Zelda inspired)

I do enjoy horror, stealth, FPS as well but on a lesser scale, lets say those are honorable mentions.

I used to be a big fan of Fighting games and Strategy back then but i rarely invest in them nowadays.

TPS, Point click adventure, racing and sports are generally genres i find the least interest in.

Last edited:

Griffon

Its easier to list the genre I dont play than the ones I'd do: casual, puzzlers, simulators, crafting and visual novels.

For all other genres, just make a good game and I'd be interested.

Banned
"Action adventure (like Tomb Raider/Uncharted/GoW 2018/Horizon/Spider-Man)"

the only Action Adventure in that list is Tomb Raider, and only the original games not the reboot trilogy... and that makes me kinda sad ngl... the fact that Action Adventure has been degraded to simply mean "Miscellaneous" these days :pie_expressionless:

H4ze

FPS all day, every day.

Honorable mentions, (MMO)RPGs, Action Adventures, Racing and RTS.
I wish I could see how many hours in my life I sank into these combined. At least I know I have several thousand hours in Counter Strike and WoW alone.

PeteBull

Had to only pick 10 genres but i could w/o any problems go with 15 instead, just poll didnt allow to chose more than 10, i like it diverse where it counts;D

Robb

Gold Member
1. 3D platformer
2. Action/Adventure
3. 2D platformer
4. Kart racing/arcade racing
5. FPS

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Stealth is my genre, Metal Gear notwithstanding.
Also, immersive sims not made by Arkane Studios.
Also, imagine calling The Witcher 3 an "RPG".

Last edited:

Gankthenew

Mainly rpgs here, especially Jrpgs. I've noticed some of my tastes have shifted over time. Now I really enjoy a good shmup but I've really fallen off of the FPS genre, partly due to the limited field of view. I can't stand that. And my love of 3rd person games has escalated greatly. Also I've noticed I suffer occasional nausea for some FPS titles. I've also stopped playing most MP titles save for couch co-op stuff with my gf. Partially due to free time and scheduling differences with friends online, plus I don't like playing with strangers very much. Also the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in completing games in my backlog is far great than just hanging out with my old game groups back in the day. Fun though they were, its just such a time and often money sink since the industry went so strong into GaaS. I'd say since the 360/PS3 gen my backlog grew exponentially because I'm the kind of guy that's got to have and see it all, but MP really does demand a lot of commitment.

I've also grown very tired of the Action Adventure type, namely from the west. They are the same game from the PS360 gen with slightly better gfx and now weaker stories and characters. The same gameplay design is holding them back, with the forced walkie-talkie sections masking load times and offering "character development". Its up there with the ol' audio recordings doing the same thing for cheap. Except now I've grown to prefer the later since I can still run around and play. I much prefer it if devs make a game with story to have actual cutscenes with direction.

I like what you said.
I want to say something but don't know how, and your summary just said what I want to say perfectly, though the games we like may be different.

Reactions: Isa

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Having genres in place is embarrassing to the gamer, those stipulations aren’t important. It’s going to divide gamers.

Top Bottom