• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHICH TYPE (MAYBE TYPES) OF GAME DO YOU LIKE BEST?

WHICH TYPE (MAYBE TYPES) DO YOU LIKE BEST?

• cRPG or something like Divinity: Original Sin/Pathfinder

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • ARPG/ACT like souls: MH; Sifu

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • ARPG/ACT like DMC and Dynasty Warriors

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • RPG/ACT/ADV with good plots like Red Dead Redemption 2/Witch3/TLOU/Death Stranding

Votes: 66 55.5%
  • JRPG classical

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • SPG/RAC (GT-race; Eu-Trunk or something;DCS)/MUG

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Rogue like/lite DBG

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • RTS

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Strategy/4x/sim for 4X

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • turnbased SLG

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Visual novels/AVG/Galgames

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • competitive fighting game:like street frighter/tekken

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • ADV

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Business simulation games

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Any other things with good plots

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • Metroidvania

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • FPS

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Diablo-like games

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • other

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • open world games

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • 2d platformers and shoot

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Action adventure (like Tomb Raider/Uncharted/GoW 2018/Horizon/Spider-Man)

Votes: 61 51.3%
  • Rogue like/lite Dungeness

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • flight simulators

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • car games

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daywarf

So many types and many games are composite with a lot of elements.
You can tell the games you prefer too.

______

Damn! I forget the difference between 2D and 3D. You can think it including both.

Last edited:

Kupfer

None in particular, as long as a game is finished and released without microtransactions / ingameshop / battlepass / cut content in favor of a later DLC, it has a chance with me. In the last two weeks I had a lot of fun with Mafia 1 Remake, Carrion and Portal 2. All three completely different types of games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I play them all, some may not be my preffered, but every now and then a game will pop up that will change my mind on the genre.

I'd hate to limit myself, by being a narrow minded asshole.

For instance I thought these simulator type games weren't for me, until I played power wash simulator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

daywarf

Action adventure (Tomb Raider/Uncharted/GoW 2018/Horizon/Spider-Man)

3D platformer
Added now. I was confused when I set this poll, not knowing how to define them. Then I forget after finishing set others up. And I count them into ARPG.

Last edited:

daywarf

I play them all, some may not be my preffered, but every now and then a game will pop up that will change my mind on the genre.

I'd hate to limit myself, by being a narrow minded asshole.

For instance I thought these simulator type games weren't for me, until I played power wash simulator.

Yes, it's difficult to make it clear.

DelireMan7

Honestly I can't tell.

I appreciate a lot of genre. Actually I don't like Sports/racing games and anything to do with "Simulation". Also old school platformers is a no go for me.
Not a huge fan of shooter but at the moment I kind of want to play some.
Never played a Visual novel actually so can't tell.

Then depending on my mood and others stuff, I can play anything. ARPG, JRPG, cRPG, SRPG, Fighting games, RTS, Business simulation, Metroidvania, Diablo like, Open world, shoot em up, beat'em up etc....

GymWolf

A lot of genres, but usually stuff where killing\combat is involved, not really a fan of sim city, puzzles, walking sims, horror where you hide, sport games, simulators, racings or similar stuff.

Thankfully, you kill stuff in majority of games.

Last edited:

Rudius

I like arcade racers that are grounded in reality like Forza Horizon, but more "xtream". My favorite game is Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2).

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I kind of wish the poll was public so I could see who voted for what...

I voted for RTS alone as its always been my clear favourite in terms of genre.

Aion002

I love RPGs like FF.

I love Action games like Ninja Gaiden.

Figuring It Out Sam Smith GIF by Apple Music

Action RPGs like Souls and Nioh are just perfect for me.

Lunarorbit

I had no idea you could have so many poll options. Did the number increase?

Even though I'm middling at them I love side scrollers and metroidvanias. Used to love jrpgs but nowadays I like more action oriented "rpgs". Prey and control are both quasi examples even though I see people call prey a walking simulator which I don't agree with.

Mitsurux

This is not an easy question to answer... a lot of different genres

Looking back, for me at least, i often go through phases where I'll be focused on specific types of games and then find my self shifting to something else. For a while i was all about platformers, then began drifting to sports games, then RPGS etc.

BlackTron

I guess platformers because it's the genre I will most consistently come back to with a wide variety of old/new games, and as a palate cleanser while playing other types of games.

There are some genres I really LOVE, like FPS games, but I will tend to pick one or two and stick with them for a LONG time. Like Overwatch transitioned Halo Infinite. Same with RTS, all I need in my life right now is Starcraft, but that one game is enough to represent the genre and rack HUGE hours.

I've had hardcore gaming stints with shoot 'em ups, racers, fighters, adventure games, JRPG and MMO. The only genre I feel I grew out of is the RPG/MMO, I'm wary of the huge time commitment. Back when I was playing PSO 8 hours a day, I'd probably say it was my favorite genre/game/thing ever. Now I'm afraid of it, and my style is more...Sonic 2, Mario, Ikaruga on Switch between FPS/RTS matches.

daywarf

I guess platformers because it's the genre I will most consistently come back to with a wide variety of old/new games, and as a palate cleanser while playing other types of games.

There are some genres I really LOVE, like FPS games, but I will tend to pick one or two and stick with them for a LONG time. Like Overwatch transitioned Halo Infinite. Same with RTS, all I need in my life right now is Starcraft, but that one game is enough to represent the genre and rack HUGE hours.

I've had hardcore gaming stints with shoot 'em ups, racers, fighters, adventure games, JRPG and MMO. The only genre I feel I grew out of is the RPG/MMO, I'm wary of the huge time commitment. Back when I was playing PSO 8 hours a day, I'd probably say it was my favorite genre/game/thing ever. Now I'm afraid of it, and my style is more...Sonic 2, Mario, Ikaruga on Switch between FPS/RTS matches.
That's why I set up that you can choose 10 of those.
Try to pick everything your like.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I voted "Other"
WRPGs - The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wasteland, KOTOR
Action - Deus Ex: HR and MD, Prey 2017
FPS - Halo, Wolfenstein, Doom
Hack & Slash - Hellblade, Assassin's Creed
Horror Survival - Alien Isolation, Evil Within 2

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Generally for me:

- WRPGs like Bethesda
- Sports
- Circuit racers
- Diablo
- Rogue/Rogue Lite
- FPS
- Business games
- Board games
- Twin Stick shooters

Lady Jane

Banned
No mp games?

Fps mp (titanfall 2 BF3 COD)

3rd person mp (Socom tlou factions mercs spies splintercell etc)

Yeah OP’s list is tailored around single-player. As someone who prefers specific types of PvP experiences, this list didn’t really have options.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah OP’s list is tailored around single-player. As someone who prefers specific types of PvP experiences, this list didn’t really have options.
I noticed that too. There's not one sports or racing genre there even if someone likes offline SP season mode.

You basically got to choose Other and state other genres.

Naked Lunch

Skill based games for me - covers lots of ground:

-Bullethell Shmups
-Flight Combat [Ace Combat/Afterburner]
-Rail shooters [Sin & Punishment/Panzer Dragoon]
-Halo multiplayer
-Arcade racing - mainly Sega titles like Daytona and Rally
-2D run n gun [Metal Slug/Contra]
-Mech games [Armored Core/Virtual On]
-3D Action [Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden]

Last edited:

KaitoTheElf

Neo Member
I personally play mainly JRPGs, soulslikes, roguelike/lites, action games in the vein of dmc, Sifu and Furi, twin stick shooters, and although not a genre, loot grinding games such as Warframe and Monster Hunter.

Reactions: Isa

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like combining arcade platformers/side scrollers/beat ‘em ups with bullet hell games are night and day, apples and oranges.

Denton

RPG/ACT/ADV with good plots like Red Dead Redemption 2/Witch3/TLOU/Death Stranding​

Specifically, 3D first or third person storydriven RPGs and immersive sims is the royal genre of videogames as far as I am concerned.

Witcher Trilogy
Vampire Bloodlines
Fallout 1/2/3/NV
Gothic 1/2/Archolos
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Deus Ex Series
Enderal: Forgotten Stories
Cyberpunk 2077
Red Dead Redemption 2
Dishonored Trilogy
STALKER Trilogy

Then I also love good city action games (GTA and Mafia series, Sleeping Dogs..) and stealth action games (MGS, Splinter Cell..).

K2D

Banned
Playing KOTOR 2 and New Vegas at this point in time...

Hoping for Fallout 2.5 sooon™..!

Isa

Mainly rpgs here, especially Jrpgs. I've noticed some of my tastes have shifted over time. Now I really enjoy a good shmup but I've really fallen off of the FPS genre, partly due to the limited field of view. I can't stand that. And my love of 3rd person games has escalated greatly. Also I've noticed I suffer occasional nausea for some FPS titles. I've also stopped playing most MP titles save for couch co-op stuff with my gf. Partially due to free time and scheduling differences with friends online, plus I don't like playing with strangers very much. Also the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in completing games in my backlog is far great than just hanging out with my old game groups back in the day. Fun though they were, its just such a time and often money sink since the industry went so strong into GaaS. I'd say since the 360/PS3 gen my backlog grew exponentially because I'm the kind of guy that's got to have and see it all, but MP really does demand a lot of commitment.

I've also grown very tired of the Action Adventure type, namely from the west. They are the same game from the PS360 gen with slightly better gfx and now weaker stories and characters. The same gameplay design is holding them back, with the forced walkie-talkie sections masking load times and offering "character development". Its up there with the ol' audio recordings doing the same thing for cheap. Except now I've grown to prefer the later since I can still run around and play. I much prefer it if devs make a game with story to have actual cutscenes with direction.

DragonNCM

1. Action adventure (Tomb Raider/Uncharted/GoW 2018/Horizon/Spider-Man)
2. ARPG/ACT like souls: MH; Sifu
3. Diablo-like games
4. FPS

Top Bottom