• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which system had the best top 10 bestselling line-up between Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube?

Which has the better top 10 bestselling line-up?

• Xbox

Votes: 52 24.3%
  • PS2

Votes: 97 45.3%
  • Gamecube

Votes: 40 18.7%
  • Dreamcast (top 7)

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • I only like PC games

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

bender

What time is it?
Yes, but imo this theory is flawed because you'd have to assume Halo 2 would have sold the same if it was on ps2. It likely would have sold more on a heavily hyped console with a year head start with an already sizable installbase by year 2. Not the same or less.

Now the Nintendo titles may be a different story.

Not flawed, more of a curiosity further pointing out the obvious, PS2's complete domination.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Kotor one of the greatest games of all time. I give it Xbox. Wind Waker is up there too for me, but I think Xbox had the better overall lineup.

SpiceRacz

PS2 has surprisingly the weakest top 10 imo.

I'll go Dreamcast on this one as I think Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur are two of my most replayable games ever. Shenmue is also one of my favorite games of all time, so that doesn't hurt either. Pretty sure NFL2k is in the top 10 as well and if that's the case, this is an easy choice. Running hail mary's down the field on every play never gets old.

Last edited:

orfax

Do you mean this one?

It goes back to 2006. None of the titles in your top 10 can be traced based on those numbers. It doesn't explain how Spider-Man: The Movie is in your top 10 bestsellers while GT4 is missing (which sold over 10 million units) either.

Could you please provide the thread (or external sources) where your data is coming from?
I mean if he is using NPD then its not worldwide sales. GT4 only sold 3.5 million in North America out of a worldwide sales of 11.7 million.

ethomaz

Banned
I mean if he is using NPD then its not worldwide sales. GT4 only sold 3.5 million in North America out of a worldwide sales of 11.7 million.
That makes the thread even more weird.

OP uses the data that fits him better.
OP miss a lot of games that were best-seller on PS2.
OP forget most games on other TOP10 won’t enter in PS2 TOP10.

I mean how can you make any comparison like that?

Last edited:

Krizalidx11

Banned
hmmm "kpop" fantasy? That's a new one

tenor.gif

martino

Keeping it at this top, xbox is the list that has most of the games i played and liked that gen. (not all of them on this platform)

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Thing is, there can't be an accurate analysis when the most significant years for the PS2 are missing.
I literally went to the sales archive > NPD archive and it only goes back to 2006.

Then I looked around on google and found this:

Sadly most of the links are broken. There is this though, but it doesn't have unit sales so it is kinda useless.

I literally don't get how OP got the data for even making this list. I just want him to link his sources.

Buggy Loop

Xbox for the top 10 best seller list, I mean, I would replay most of that list, and KOTOR had nothing else comparable back then.

For the overall lineup, outside of top 10 best sellers, it would be PS2.

edit : seeing the results, I’m not sure peoples read the OP? Seems like it was blindly voted for overall lineup. PS2’s list becomes « meh » after GTA, not even the better final fantasy there.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Voted PS2 before realizing you had listed the games.

Xbox and GCN definitely have a better line up. I would say GCN fits my tastes the best.

Banned
legitimate question... did people who vote PS2 miss the point of this thread? because... like... that top 10 lineup sucks, not gonna lie.

I'd argue it's the worst linup out of all the Consoles listed. are y'all just FFX fanboys or what?

like, why did NFSU1 sell better than the way better NFSU2 on PS2? that's weird.

but it's also weird that Xbox has GTA3 and VC but not San Andreas, I'm not complaining but it is curious

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
And this is the problem, you confused yourself with what this thread is about, GT4 didn't sell 10 million in NPD.
That doesn't change the fact that the NPD archive on this site only goes back to 2006. Please post the thread (or external source) from where you got the data.

Thing is, there can't be an accurate analysis when the most significant years for the PS2 are missing.
I literally went to the sales archive > NPD archive and it only goes back to 2006.

You have a whole site to search NPD, you have not only an archive (which has a thread you clearly aren't seeing based on your posts) and you can use the search to find older ones. This is the first time I've seen a user get lost with NPD stuff on this site. It's one of the easiest thing to search for thread titles with "NPD" in them are very easy t look up, even outside the site you could use bing or google site search for Neogaf.

majority didn't even read the line up the OP posted, so fun to watch the replies.
It makes me wonder what they though the "top 10" part of the thread title meant. Or if they just blanked it out lol.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You have a whole site to search NPD, you have not only an archive (which has a thread you clearly aren't seeing based on your posts) and you can use the search to find older ones. This is the first time I've seen a user get lost with NPD stuff on this site. It's one of the easiest thing to search for thread titles with "NPD" in them are very easy t look up, even outside the site you could use bing or google site search for Neogaf
Instead of flip-flopping around, you could just reference the requested thread. The NPD archive on this site doesn't have the thread, neither did the search engine brought anything to the table. I can't find it, but apparently and according to you, it exists, so reference it.

Also, dude, you edited your post. It used to be "Looking around sales threads" instead of "Looking around npd sales threads".
The thread title and your previous post clearly suggest bestselling titles, not NPD only, and even if, where is the data that suggests that Spider-Man: The Movie sold more than 3.5 million in the US?
According to what Wikipedia says, it did sell less:
By July 2006, the PlayStation 2 version of Spider-Man had sold 2.1 million copies and earned $74 million in the United States.
Sadly they don't reference a source either, but they reference this as a source that Spider-Man: The Movie sold 6 million copies in the US, but that includes all consoles. This site suggests that it sold 2.5 million.

OP forget most games on other TOP10 won’t enter in PS2 TOP10.

The thread is about which top 10 list you like more, what the heck does this have to do with anything?

OP miss a lot of games that were best-seller on PS2.
I'm not missing anything other than the sports games, it's clear based on your post your a PS2 fanboy ignoring the thread topic, you want to make the PS2 list look worse by adding the sports titles?

ethomaz

Banned
The thread is about which top 10 list you like more, what the heck does this have to do with anything?

I'm not missing anything other than the sports games, it's clear based on your post your a PS2 fanboy ignoring the thread topic, you want to make the PS2 list look worse by adding the sports titles?
So biased list to try to create a false narrative... typical.
The list makes no sense.

Plus “sports games makes the list worst...” wut?

Last edited:
Also, dude, you edited your post. It used to be "Looking around sales threads" instead of "Looking around npd sales threads".

Yes i did, and it was for you because you were the only one as evidence by another post, confused about what this thread was about. You seem to just be looking for things to fight about which is why it seems you instantly moved to thinking the edit was in bad faith, no, that was just incase another person like you come along that looks at all those 3 game lists (4 including DC) and thinking we are talking world wide sales.

It's not my fault you're lost.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yes i did, and it was for you because you were the only one as evidence by another post, confused about what this thread was about. You seem to just be looking for things to fight about which is why it seems you instantly moved to thinking the edit was in bad faith, no, that was just incase another person like you come along that looks at all those 3 game lists (4 including DC) and thinking we are talking world wide sales.

It's not my fault you're lost.

LMFAO

I only owned a PS2 during that gen, my time with the Gamecube was when I'd go home to visit my family and play my brother's Gamecube. Looking back I would gladly go back in time, slap my past self and tell him to buy the Gamecube and an Xbox instead of buying multiple PS2s throughout the gen whenever it decided to break down. I'd also tell him to buy some stocks and to avoid that one chick.

So biased list to try to create a false narrative... typical.
The list makes no sense.

Plus “sports games makes the list worst...” wut?
Nice late edit, yes biased man, 3 slots of the PS2 would be sports titles, not hard to understand, then again you keep screaming biased without addressing how anything is biased so hmm. Maybe you just don't have a working brain.

Trimesh

Banned
Based on the criteria in the initial post I think it has to be the Xbox - a lot of the responses seem to be "which console had the best overall library" - which was obviously the PS2, but that wasn't the question that was being asked.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you just don't have a working brain.
Aight let's recapitulate:

1) You make a thread about the bestselling Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube titles. Nothing suggested you meant NPD only.
2) You edit the thread to be NPD only.
3) Even with only NPD data in mind your list is off.
4) Research suggests that there is no sale data between 2001-2005 on this site (like you claimed).
5) You deny posting your sources.

All in all, wack ass troll and wack ass thread. Skip!

Last edited by a moderator:
2) You edit the thread to be NPD only.
One of the first things you do is lie of course, I added that for YOU. And just inc ase there are more dumb people that can't read those game lists and clearly see I'm only listing NPD otherwise there wouldn't be some big games missing from them.

My list isn't off either, you only have posted VGchartz sales. So right now you're panicking and devolving the discussion, you are looking for a way out, and this is why that Proskater 2 error was intentional to point out you were never here to honestly discuss anything since your first post, proof:

... no one even talked about THPS2. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
LMFAO

This is you looking for an exit, I added 2 instead of 3 on purpose to see if you would still address your made up number of 3.5 million for Spider-man the movie, instead you decided to make a youtube 3 year-old style comment with an emoji and ran off.

So why did you even enter this thread if you never even had a real grievance? You just pulled 3.5 million out your ass

I only owned a PS2 during that gen, my time with the Gamecube was when I'd go home to visit my family and play my brother's Gamecube. Looking back I would gladly go back in time, slap my past self and tell him to buy the Gamecube and an Xbox instead of buying multiple PS2s throughout the gen whenever it decided to break down. I'd also tell him to buy some stocks and to avoid that one chick.
You must have been pretty turned off to avoid buying a Gamecube with that PS2 when it was $30 with 3 games.

Top Bottom