• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which system had the best top 10 bestselling line-up between Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube?

Which has the better top 10 bestselling line-up?

• Xbox

Votes: 52 24.3%
  • PS2

Votes: 97 45.3%
  • Gamecube

Votes: 40 18.7%
  • Dreamcast (top 7)

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • I only like PC games

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
Looking around npd sales threads, I have found the top 10 best selling games for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube (sports titles excluded for balance)

These are the games that brought the most people to each of these individual consoles, these are the games that drove console adoption. Considering these line-ups, which consoles top 10 best selling software line-up do you consider to be the best?

Line-ups

Xbox

• Halo 2
  • Halo
  • Splinter Cell
  • Grand Theft Auto Double pack (GTA 3 and GTA Vice City)
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Knights Of The Old Republic (KOTOR)
  • Fable
  • Ghost Recon
  • Need for Speed Underground 2
  • Dead or Alive 3

PS2:

• Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-spec
  • Need for Speed Underground
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Metal of Honor Frontline
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Spider-Man the movie
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3

Gamecube:

• Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Metroid Prime
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario Party 4
  • Pokemon Colosseum

BONUS Dreamcast top 7

Dreamcast

• Sonic Adventure
  • Crazy Taxi 1
  • Ready 2 Rumble
  • Soul Calibur
  • Shenmue
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

Last edited:

NahaNago

It's between Nintendo and xbox. My preference is Nintendo since I would have bought the majority of their games but xbox's lineup is very impressive.

Handel

GC has the best top ten listed there, in both quality and diversity of genres. PS2 is the weakest of those, too many GTA and racing games. Xbox is a solid runner up to GC, but it cheats a bit with that GTA double pack.

A better contest, and one that the PS2 has a better chance to win, is top ten metacritic for each only counting console exclusives within that gen(for example Okami counts for PS2 even though it was ported to Wii+others, KOTOR counts for OG Xbox, etc.).

nordique

This is not a cop out but it kinda is

for me it’s a mix haha. I owned all 3 and there were games I liked and games I didn’t like on each, and that reflects in the top 10

I picked 5 on the Xbox list, 5 on the ps2 list and 5 on the GameCube list

can we add a draw option Op? Haha

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Out of those, I'll go with the Dreamcast, then the Gamecube.

Generally, the PS2 is the winner though if you consider the complete gameslist.

Patrick S.

Banned
Surprised PS2 is winning here. As great as the games are on PS2 I don't think that particular list comes near Xbox or GameCube.
PS2 is the console Silent Hill 2 was born on. And what about Metal Gear Solid 2, God of War, Bully, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X, Katamari Damacy, Killzone, Okami, Onimusha, Perdona 4, Ratchet & Clank...

kunonabi

Based off those lists Dreamcast. The other consoles had like 2 games each that mattered to me while the DC has around 4 despite only being a top 7.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
PS2 is the console Silent Hill 2 was born on. And what about Metal Gear Solid 2, God of War, Bully, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X, Katamari Damacy, Killzone, Okami, Onimusha, Perdona 4, Ratchet & Clank...
Problem is, none of those except FFX are on the list that OP posted so they are pretty much irrelevant.
If this topic would be about the best line-up and not " top 10 bestselling line-up" then it would be different.

ZehDon

Well, in terms of the best selling line, I'm gonna have to go with the Xbox. If I had just those 10 games, that would still be a console worth owning - what a list!

ethomaz

Banned
PS2.

The 10th in PS2 list probably sold more than 1st in the others two lists.

That means it had way more best-sell r games than that small TOP10 list shows.

GametimeUK

And most of those games aren't on the list further proving my point or have you just misunderstood the OP?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I have doubts that OP's list is 100% accurate by the way:

What are the numbers for Spider-Man: The Movie and Tony Hawk 3?
I know that Tony Hawk was very successful back then (and the recent one brought the franchise back on track), but where is the data that suggests that it is a top 10 bestseller?

EDIT:
  • Crazy Taxi 3
Crazy Taxi 3 is an Xbox title.

EDIT 2:

The Xbox list seems to be slightly off as well. Or does the OP have different sources? If so, he should provide them.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotPocket69

Banned
Nigga doesn’t even list re4 on Cube 😂

Whole thread should be trashed

OP how old you is? Young right?

Last edited:
In these I picked the Dreamcast easily - if only because Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxy 3 - Second choice would be the xbox ( owned both) because DoA 3, everything else in these top 10 is garbage level to me (but could be argued either way as far as I'm concerned)

- The best library for that gen is on the PS2, if only for the God of War games
- The OG xbox was pretty amazing as well, and all multi-platform console games of the area (even some with PC versions) are best played on it + games like the Otogi games, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden titles are still noteworthy
- The GameCube literally has nothing for me,I can see some games are very competent, but the machine always bored me to death (I had this one also)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PS2 was marvellous but I choose Gamecube.

The top games were just super good and they appeal to me. A lot of the bigger PS2 games were just not my thing.

I have doubts that OP's list is 100% accurate by the way:

What are the numbers for Spider-Man: The Movie and Tony Hawk 3?
I know that Tony Hawk was very successful back then (and the recent one brought the franchise back on track), but where is the data that suggests that it is a top 10 bestseller?

EDIT:

Crazy Taxi 3 is an Xbox title.

EDIT 2:

The Xbox list seems to be slightly off as well. Or does the OP have different sources? If so, he should provide them.

We have npd threads all over this site, even a specific section for some of them, why would you even consider using Vgcgartz, a site you used to not even be able to type the url here? The resurgence of that site on this forum is irritating and no it's not better than nothing, it's straight trash and inaccurate unless they see an article with real sales or an npd link then changes the results to the real number, which they don't do across the board.

I did accidentally put a 3 next Crazy Taxi so fixing that.

Oh and before someone brings it up since I know someone will. No those top 10 lists by that Matt npd guy weren't unit sales, they were dollar sales. Although the lists are still similar.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
We have npd threads all over this site, even a specific section for some of them, why would you even consider using Vgcgartz, a site you used to not even be able to type the url here? The resurgence of that site on this forum is irritating and no it's not better than nothing, it's straight trash and inaccurate unless they see an article with real sales or an npd link then changes the results to the real number, which they don't do across the board.
... the point is if we have accurate numbers for PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/Dreamcast titles.
Yes, VGChartz is trash, but it was just the result of 5 min google search. Could you provide your sources, please?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
My brain says the PS2
My friends say the Xbox
My inner child says the gamecube
My heart says the Dreamcast

bender

What time is it?
Based on their numbers, only Halo 2, Sunshine, Double Dash and Smash would have broken into the PS2 top 10 list. The XBox lineup is great with the exception of Fable which might be the worst game of any list.

ACESHIGH

Banned
The Xbox by far. A little bit of everything there including some of the greatest games of all time like Halo and KOTOR. The ps2 has too many GTAs, a good but not great GT, JRPG crap and licensed sports game.

SEGA_2012

Dreamcast. One of the top-5 best games of all time (Shenmue), the best "old" Resident Evil of all time (Code Veronica) and Soul Calibur.

Regarding RE4 it seems it did less than 600k in the US, the games strongest market for Gamecube.

Considering US is like 80% of GC sales, may or may not be exaggerated, and it sold significantly worse everywhere else outside a slightly decent run in Japan.

It makes sense why RE4 wouldn't even be in the top 15 let alone top 10.

Ps2 getting the game really screwed over the GameCube version.

... the point is if we have accurate numbers for PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/Dreamcast titles.
Yes, VGChartz is trash, but it was just the result of 5 min google search. Could you provide your sources, please?
I literally just told you were I got them from. Here, NPD, we have archives by year can go all the way back to 2000 iirc.

Based on their numbers, only Halo 2, Sunshine, Double Dash and Smash would have broken into the PS2 top 10 list. The XBox lineup is great with the exception of Fable which might be the worst game of any list.
Yes, but imo this theory is flawed because you'd have to assume Halo 2 would have sold the same if it was on ps2. It likely would have sold more on a heavily hyped console with a year head start with an already sizable installbase by year 2. Not the same or less.

Now the Nintendo titles may be a different story.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I literally just told you were I got them from. Here, NPD, we have archives by year can go all the way back to 2000 iirc.
Do you mean this one?

It goes back to 2006. None of the titles in your top 10 can be traced based on those numbers. It doesn't explain how Spider-Man: The Movie is in your top 10 bestsellers while GT4 is missing (which sold over 10 million units) either.

Could you please provide the thread (or external sources) where your data is coming from?

Best system, with best games in that gen for me was PS2. But when you look at top ten then it is Xbox. Both Halo games, KOTOR, Splinter Cell, and Fable......What a great list.

Top Bottom