• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which souls games are hardest to play through without a guide?

[Pick 2] Which do you think are hardest to complete without a guide?

• Demons Souls

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Dark souls II

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
Whether or not you personally play with guides, which 2 of them do you think are most difficult to complete without a guide?

Get through meaning just playing to the ending, not 100%.

I try to play these games without a guide, but that one section in anor londo where you have to drop down to a ledge and climb into the roof of a cathedral stumped me. Could not figure out where to go and ended up looking it up.
I fully blame fromsoft for that though. The obtuse nature of their games is clearly intentional. Sometimes it makes for a great experience, sometimes it's crap.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Sekiro and Dark Souls 2. There are multiple points where it gets confusing where to go next. The other games have points like that occasionally but not to the same extent.

Dr_Ifto

I beat Dark Souls without a guide. Not too hard to just continue from boss to boss until you get to the end.

Question you should ask, which Souls game can you understand without looking it up online.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I suppose it depends on your definition of playing through a Souls game, but from a completionist perspective I challenge anyone to figure out World Tendencies and the different event triggers in Demon's Souls without a guide.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I didn't use a guide for any of them.. For any game really. Its like someone handing you a wrapped present while telling you whats in it. except you also bought the present.
:messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

ssringo

It's been a while but I think Dark Souls 2 was the only game where I had moments of "where the fuck am I supposed to go now?"

But just seeing an ending in any if them isn't guide worthy imo.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Do people use guides in their first playthrough? I get wanting to improve the build and wanting to learn the systems more deeply in a NG+ though or wanting to bypass some cheaply designed section, but do people use guides for those games constantly? Hmmmm...

That said, in first Dark Souls I actually searched "how to turn on a lantern" or kinda for the Tomb of Giants and there was an item that was used for that purpose, I saw many people complaining about that section and I personally avoided it the first time in hope I'd find an item for myself but I didn't. People tend to hate ToG because of that, but I enjoyed it greatly tbh. I think that's a point in the game a more explicit explanation should be handled somehow, I literally didn't care for items "lore" or whatever so didn't care about reading weapons descriptions, and the fucking item is an actual weapon you put in your hands... I think it's a design flaw considering it's part of the infamous second half of the game, where devs admitted to run out of time and rush, leaving sections completely unpolished like Bed of Chaos.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Elden Ring. You get to somewhere on the map and realise that you can't get to where you need to go.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Elden RIng, it's easy to get lost and without properly knowing how to make a build you'll be woefully underpowered. The game is amazingly large, too much so for its own good frankly

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Definitely Dark Souls 2. Remains the worst From game in terms of guiding exploration organically, and cohesive environmental storytelling.

SCB3

It's been a while but I think Dark Souls 2 was the only game where I had moments of "where the fuck am I supposed to go now?"

But just seeing an ending in any if them isn't guide worthy imo.
Especially as there is several times wheres its a dead end as well

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Demon’s Souls, period. The game even had nonsensical symbols for stats for the sake of being more “cryptic”. I would have dropped the game very soon if this had come out in the 80s or early 90s.

Honestly though, in the internet era there can’t be a single person who didn’t at least get some hints online, even against their will. Dark Souls discussion was just too hot to not have something fall through the cracks for you.

Gojiira

Demons Souls I guess for completionists. But all of them can be difficult to 100% with some of the obtuse loot/quests

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Demon’s Souls, period
c58.jpg

Rush2112

Banned
OG dark souls blighttown and tomb of giants. I really want to see a complete noob to the series actually solo it without any chat backseating or guide. Someone who doesnt know anything about the necromancers, the need for blunt / holy weapons damage, or poison cleanse. Yeah…

Last edited:
Whether or not you personally play with guides, which 2 of them do you think are most difficult to complete without a guide?

Get through meaning just playing to the ending, not 100%.

I try to play these games without a guide, but that one section in anor londo where you have to drop down to a ledge and climb into the roof of a cathedral stumped me. Could not figure out where to go and ended up looking it up.
I fully blame fromsoft for that though. The obtuse nature of their games is clearly intentional. Sometimes it makes for a great experience, sometimes it's crap.
I never used a guide for any of them to be honest. Using a guide for any of souls games basically defeats the entire purpose of them. The reason why they are so good is because of the exploration and self-discovery. The only time I'd ever use a guide for is if I am at 200 hours and trying to squeeze out the last few secrets. Other than that, never did, never will.

Top Bottom