• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which recent first party publisher acquisition hurt core gamers the most?

Which was the biggest loss for multiplatform gamers?

• Bethesda

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Activision

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Bungie

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Of all the first party acquisitions, this one hurt me the most. I know most can live without Activision, but the whole industry deserves that Bethesda goodness.

Which of the recent third party publisher acquisitions do you think core gamers will miss the most if said games are no longer multiplat at some point?

BethesdaXGP_Inline.jpg

0be2c-16502853808296-1920.jpg

Godot25

Banned
Bethesda was struggling financially. That's why they were open to selling. That's why they chased "live service" market with Fallout 76. With backing of Microsoft, they can go back to do what they do best - SP games. So, that purchase is great.
Activision Blizzard? Microsoft can fix their bad culture, sack Kotick and have Call of Duty factory being split since they don't need Call of Duty every year. So they can let Toys for Bob, High Moon and other studios make their own nonCOD games. And COD is still multiplat, so there is literally no bad thing about this purchase.
Bungie? Bungo games will remain multiplat and we can get Destiny TV series. So no drawbacks to this purchase either....

Graciaus

I'd only be interested in playing the next Elder Scrolls and that's years away anyway.

Can play them all on PC if I wanted to.

Lady Jane

Banned
Microsoft is the new evil company in video games

And Bungie isn’t doing anything worthwhile again no matter what so no loss there.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Bethesda, depending on how they decide to move forward, but objectively we went from Starfield being a multiplatform game to being Xbox exclusive.

Bungie has been said several times will remain a multiplatform studio and Activision shouldn't be an issue either, though the amount of "hurt" can't be calculated yet.

Wildebeest

What are Microsoft actively doing to meddle other than putting games on game pass? Bethesda seemed to be making some very suspect decisions before the buyout.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lmfao it's not going to hurt anyone. if there's a Bethesda/Activision game you wanna play well guess what...you're gonna need to get an Xbox or PC. just like PS owners tell everyone if you want to play God of War, TLOU, Spiderman, etc to "just get a ps5!"

people might be entitled or angry but nobody will be hurt :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wohc

Banned
None for multiplatform gamers or pc only gamers and why is Bungie even in the list? Didn't they say their games will stay multi?

GymWolf

Came here to say this.

Those games will be all on PC and Xbox. If you don't have one of those then you don't care about games.
It sound harsh and cringe, but that's the reality unless you have real big money problems and not the type of problems that disappear when it's time to buy 1000+ dollars iphone\oled screen.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
According to GAF none of them.
Bethesda makes shit games, no one cares about Activision/Blizzard and Destiny is trash.

For people in the real world probably Acti/Bliz, their games are consistently popular if MS makes them exclusive and/or GP day one thats a major disruption to the status quo.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
According to GAF none of them.
Bethesda makes shit games, no one cares about Activision/Blizzard and Destiny is trash.

For people in the real world probably Acti/Bliz, their games are consistently popular if MS makes them exclusive and/or GP day one thats a major disruption to the status quo.
it might be a disruption to the status quo yeah but it will hardly hurt anyone. if their games do become exclusive/GP day 1 then you could argue that they will be more accessible now. you don't necessarily need to go buy a PC or Series X. you can get a cheap Series S or even just sub to GPT and play the games on your phone/tablet/tv. Microsoft's entry price is like £11/month. You don't need to go buy a £450+ piece of a hardware.

Literally nothing came out of of the Bethesda acquisition so far and the other two were not even concluded yet, how could anyone be negatively affected so far?

The only difference it made at this point was that more Bethesda games were added to Gamepass. I don't even understand why people are saying "none for PC gamer or if you have multiple consoles", is there a game that came out that I'm missing?

The whole OP fantasizing about Bethesda pulling out their old games from PlayStation is creepy, very unlikely to happen and even if it happens so what? If you didn't bother to buy really old game at that point it's probably not something you cared about.

When Starfield gets released then we'll have for the first time a game that would've been multiplatform but now is a console exclusive (and we don't even know that for sure, since exclusivity deals exist and Bethesda was doing them). Another thing that help a lot is that if you don't own a PC or Xbox you can still buy a month of Gamepass Ultimate and play the game over the cloud, it's not ideal but beats having to buy a console to play only one game.

Too much of a big deal are made out of these acquisitions.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I can't speak for core gamers, but to me, if a game doesn't come out on my console of choice , it doesn't exist to me outside of neogaf. So I lose nothing in these transactions.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Core gamers will just play them on PC (or Xbox) so I guess no one is getting hurt

Jinzo Prime

I believe there is a misconception that you need a super-powerful gaming GPU to play the latest games on PC. Truth is I have become a "PC gamer" with a 1100 dollar laptop that I got on sale during Black Friday week a few years ago. And the thing about a PC is that I can use it to do other things than play, and the games themselves are on sale every day. I have never payed full price for a pc game because there are even pre-release sales in online stores these days.

If that's too expensive for you you can by a sub $300 ultra compact Xbox Series S for your Bethesda fix, or subscribe to Gamepass for a month on their $1 promotion. Honestly, if anything, these acquisitions have made games more accessible to more gamers, not less.

Besthesda. Most of those games will now be on Xbox and PC and not on PlayStation.

Activision is basically COD factory and those are still coming on PlayStation anyway...so from a consumer perspective no one will be hurt for quite a while.

Bungie is like Bethesda. Games will be on PC and PlayStation. But they only have one actual IP for now...and if someone wants to play it, it's on PC anyway.

I'l just say either way i'm lucky as hell. Never cared for both Bethesda games and Activision and FPS isn't my thing so i don't care if PlayStation has now Bungie.

I'd only get salty if somehow MS bought say Square-Enix or Capcom. and i'd lose access to those IPs.

Flabagast

How can you answer anything other than Bethesda.

Both Bungie & Activision are worthless trash studios with utterly mediocre output

Dane

Directly? Bethesda because all of their coming output is Xbox exclusive
Indirectly? Activision because some of their content will be exclusive, we know that Call of Duty which is their almost sole cash cow for the last 2-3 years, but seems that they want to expand their catalog and MS will very likely to do that, if they change the development direction towards a much longer cycle and have the resources for the studios to develop non COD games, they could get possibly new exclusive big hits from famed studios.

Last edited:

DZ_b_EZ

I always invest in all platforms, so no acquisitions will ever bother me. It's the only move to make.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bethesda, from what we've seen so far.

Though Activision has the potential to be much more far reaching if/when that closes and MS starts cherry picking which IPs to keep multi-plat and which one's not to.

I couldn't care less about Activision. I guess Bethesda, although I've never been a huge fan of theirs either.

Regardless, I'll always own all the consoles, so I'll still play Starfield, etc. Just sucks there is no platinum to achieve.

AJUMP23

How were you HURT?

Someone did damage to you because they bought a company. The biggest disservice to Gamers has been EA acquisitions that took companies gutted the talent and destroyed the IPs. From Westwood, to Origin.

Top Bottom