• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of your favourite franchise is going Open World next?

Which of your favourite franchise is going Open World next?

• Resident Evil

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Kingdom Hearts

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Nioh

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • God of War

• Uncharted

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Devil May Cry

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Last of Us

• Destiny

• Half Life

• Hitman

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Bioshock

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Doom

• Mass Effect

• Dues Ex

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

faraany3k

Banned
After Elden Ring's massive commercial success, we are going to see a lot of developers moving towards more open world environments. What are some of your favourite franchises that will eventually make the shift?

Mozzarella

Hopefully none
Agreed, there's enough open world games already.
Give me good levels, I enjoyed Hitman a lot, a well designed level that offers multiple playthroughs is something that we need more.
The problem with big open world is that once you beat them, even if they are amazing, i personally dont feel like going back to them, not at least for years.

God of War 2018 is semi open world. And in TLOU2 when you first get to Seattle, the first part had the makings of going OW too.

They do need to come up with a scheme that's not the Ubisoft quest giver thing where people just stand there like a moron.

BigBooper

I could see Uncharted doing it. 4 was close already and Naughty Dog likes a technical challenge they can show off.

Doom would also be a potential candidate. An open world full of demons to slay could definitely be fun.

Esca

None please. Open world games just suck up a huge amount of time usually unless you just beeline the main story only.
It is much easier to go back and play shorter games you've played already since it isn't a big time investment

HL3.exe

None I hope. Would prefer if they went more the Immersive Sim route. Small hubs with dense multi-layered systemic design.

Zeroing

Banned
I choose Nioh because I wanna see everyone complain that the game needs an easy mode! Even those who said Elden Ring didn’t need it!

Muahahahahahahah

Salmon

God of War 2018 is semi open world. And in TLOU2 when you first get to Seattle, the first part had the makings of going OW too.

They do need to come up with a scheme that's not the Ubisoft quest giver thing where people just stand there like a moron.
Im sorry what?! That game is a notorious corridor experience with barriers and walls everywhere! There's zero open world flavors to this game!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
most of those games suck. wouldn't be surprised at an open world bioshock/doom though.

people expect all games to go open world now after elden ring but i hope not. i'm enjoying the game but the open world isn't that great. lots of empty spaces and not much variety. i hope the next game goes back to something like bloodborne/sekiro. i don't want open world but a linear game on a bigger scale. i mean imagine if the grand cathedral area in bloodborne was the same as Leyndell.

After Elden Ring's massive commercial success, we are going to see a lot of developers moving towards more open world environments. What are some of your favourite franchises that will eventually make the shift?
Mass Effect already went open world with Andromeda. Also you misspelled Deus Ex.

Laptop1991

Bioshock, i remember playing Infinite wanting it to be more open world especially with the sky hook and line at the time, i really liked the game but more open world would have beeen better in my opinion. as long as the narrative didn't suffer because of it though.

Open world is great when it's well realized but that is rarely the case, usually it just turn into a game with lazy level design.

When I see an objective marker that shows me the distance I am from the objective I'm already ready to quit the game. Horizon does that in the introduction even for things that are a few meters away, deeply offensive.

My favorite style of open world is something like original Dark Souls, perfect level design for my taste. So I guess some Resident Evil games fall into that category already.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I think Nioh could benefit from open world, not because I liked open word by any means, but the original stage based level is a bit outdated by today's standard. I think making Nioh a metroidvania style is good enough too.

For Resident Evil, make an experimental open world game that is not a mainline number game is fine, but never changed the formula for the main game. Making a expanded side title such as Revelation into open world could be interesting.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I hope none.
Open worlds in games today are a reason for me not to buy the game.
Rockstar are, in my opinion, the only ones who can create a good open game world that I can have fun in.
Or rather, Rockstar were. After the last crappy actions of them, I wait and see if the studio can still build useful games.

DaGwaphics

Agreed, there's enough open world games already.
Give me good levels, I enjoyed Hitman a lot, a well designed level that offers multiple playthroughs is something that we need more.
The problem with big open world is that once you beat them, even if they are amazing, i personally dont feel like going back to them, not at least for years.

Completely agree. Large sandbox levels are great and offer some of the flexibility of the open worlds but with more variety. Really gives the dev an opportunity to showcase different locales.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think the next Mario game would be open world of sorts, given how well the concept worked on Super Mario 3D Worlds + Bowser's Furry

Elysion

Banned
The next 3d Mario was the first thing I thought of. I actually look forward to it; it might be the first open world game that truly realizes the idea of a ‚theme park‘ (which is what open world design has often been compared to).

Last edited:

BlackTron

It seems that Sonic is going open world and I am already fearing the worst.

Open world is way overused and overrated, but two of my top three favorite gaming characters are perfect for it. Link and Sonic.

They already messed up Zelda, I expect Sonic to do even worse, despite being the IP that stands to benefit the most from it.

Aion002

Hopefully not Resident Evil.... After Evil Within 2...

Michael Scott No GIF

Y0ssarian

Banned
Voted Nioh, not because I necessarily want it to go open world, but because it's the only game in your list that I play

AJUMP23

What about an open world TMNT game? You can travel the rooftops or the sewers. Drive the streets of NY. You have to avoid being seen while taking out the foot clan and eventually getting to Shredder.

Top Bottom