• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Nintendo system has the best "Big 4" game combo?

Which Nintendo has best 4 game Mario Zelda Kart Smash combo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyliethicc

If you could only ever play one of these groups of 4 games ever again, on their respective system, which group you picking?

Yes some games are omitted here for fairness/simplicity in this comparison. Idea is just 1 game per franchise per system.

Choices:

N64
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros

GameCube
Super Mario Sunshine
The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Smash Bros Melee

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros Brawl

Switch
Super Mario Odyssey
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Easily GameCube for me, but the SNES obliterates all competition here in my opinion even if it doesn't have Super Smash Bros. Just having A Link to the Past and Super Mario World makes it win every competition by default for me 😌

I went gamecube but switch is a good answer too.

WiiU entry would look like this:

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros for WiiU

NikuNashi

N64.

But its strange to think of GC like that. Without Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 it wasn't stellar, Sunshine and Wind Waker were both good but not great.

Cutty Flam

Banned
N64 is too good. The Gamecube options you have listed competes. But for me, the choice is clear

SM64/OOT/MK64/SSB combo? Those are all legendary games

cireza

Banned
Here is a quick summary of the Switch Selection :

A Mario game that is inferior to the Wii U Mario game
A Wii U game
A Wii U game
A Wii U game

And OP tries to tell us that Wii U is the incorrect choice ? Lol, Switch is the most useless console of the bunch.

Wii U, then Gamecube, gets my vote.

Last edited:
Big 4? No F-Zero or Metroid? WIth a real big 4, Gamecube would be victorious. GX, Prime, TP and Sunshine. These options stink so I can't vote for this waste.

TLZ

Banned
Switch
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Not fair mate. 3 of those are Wii U games.

Wii U has the best combo.

For the Switch to be considered it needs to have all new games for it for all four. Currently the only one it has is Odyssey.

fart town usa

Gold Member

A Wii U game
A Wii U game
A Wii U game

And OP tries to tell us that Wii U is the incorrect choice ? Lol, Switch is the most useless console of the bunch.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

AJUMP23

I went with N64. Those games, especially Mario 64 revolutionized the gaming world. The Switch ones are probably the best ones though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not fair mate. 3 of those are Wii U games.

Wii U has the best combo.

For the Switch to be considered it needs to have all new games for it for all four. Currently the only one it has is Odyssey.
Right. An easily soft modded WiiU can play all of the games mentioned except Mario Odyssey. A vanilla Wii U has access to the bulk of the titles listed via the eShop.

WiiU is a god-tier console.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
In this list.. N64....

Now if we take the SNES into account, the SNES would be in the running for that..

N64 for me. The only game from a different generation that I might take over the N64 offerings is Mario Kart 8, but that's it. OoT = favorite Zelda. Mario 64 = favorite Mario. Smash 64 = favorite smash. So good and Mario Kart 64 was still really good. So much nostalgia.

Last edited:

nkarafo

ΙΜΟ Ν64 nailed 2 of these. Mario and Zelda.

Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart so 1 for WiiU.

I never played the Melee games.

So N64 wins.

MiguelItUp

N64 by a landslide. Not only because of the games themselves, but how impactful they were, especially at the time.

The Switch is definitely worthy of acknowledgement as well, I mean, those are some great games. It's just hard to ignore what the 64 did.

jigglet

Banned
N64 by a landslide. Not only because of the games themselves, but how impactful they were, especially at the time.

The Switch is definitely worthy of acknowledgement as well, I mean, those are some great games. It's just hard to ignore what the 64 did.

Mario 64 was like an a-bomb in this industry and I don't think I've ever experienced anything of the same magnitude since.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Wii easily.

2 freaking Galaxy's
MK Wii
SSBB
ZSWS

Zelda TP is a GC game and Switch doesn't have a Mario Kart and Zelda yet, OP.

Last edited:

Jeeves

A Wii U game
A Wii U game
A Wii U game

Smash Ultimate has things in common with Smash 4, but I don't think it's right to call them the same game.

Still, if we're putting 3D World in the Mario slot then I think I agree with Wii U having the best original games across these four series.

MiguelItUp

Mario 64 was like an a-bomb in this industry and I don't think I've ever experienced anything of the same magnitude since.
Honestly, I never thought about that, but it's totally true. A lot of releases that created ripples and came after were big game sequels or IPs. Goldeneye, Halo 1/2/3, Gears of War, etc. But none of them did what Mario 64 did.

Nintendo most certainly caught lightning in a bottle.

kunonabi

Its between N64 and Wii for me. Probably go with Wii. N64 has the better, and flat out best, Mario Kart and Mario64 is amazing of course but I'd still take Galaxy over it. Wii also wins Zelda, especially if were going by SS, and I'd take Brawl over Smash 64. Wii does have the worst MK though.

Top Bottom