• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is Your Favorite Final Fantasy trilogy?

Favorite Final Fantasy Trilogy ?

• Total voters

VanEs

Definitely VII, VIII and IX. That's peak Final Fantasy and the series declined after that.

Never understood the boner people have for VI (it was ... alright) but then again I might've appreciated it more if I played it back when it came out.

Those aren't trilogies. None of them are related in terms of story or characters. The snes and ps1 entries are also so vastly different they may as well be from different series' altogether.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
My own trilogy:

6, 9, 10

tenor.gif

Joe T.

This is tricky. VI, VII and IX are among my favorites, at least among the single-player games, but if the online games are counted then the PS2 era takes the cake for me because FFXI will probably never be outdone in the MMORPG space, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future. A lot of very vivid memories attached to this series.

Isa

Gold Member
Damn, this makes me feel old. Only 36 though...

I started with FFI, watching my best friend play it over a summer break. He let me also try it, it just shattered all kinds of notions of what a game can be. I hadn't played an rpg before, though some games like Dick Tracy had a cool open world idea. I'll never forget FFIV, it legit made me cry. I love stories of self sacrifice, true love, and finding redemption so the whole thing was amazing. For me the era of FFVI going into the PSX gen was just phenomenal. Gaming progressed so much, it really was a magical time. So for me personally FFVII-IX were just top tier greatness. Story, presentation(such as transitioning from incredible cg's right into gameplay), gameplay, and especially audio were all excellent and consistent throughout.

Just what I love about quality rpg's man. Getting to know fun well written characters, discover new worlds, and go on incredible journeys, and then have to say goodbye. Filled with cool designs and emotional moments. Its crazy to think just how good the PSX was though. There are other titles there that I might hold in higher regard. Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar 1&2. Back in '17 it was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that got me back into Jrpgs. I've been procrastinating real bad in regards to actually playing and finishing some of my games, exacerbated by the fact that my freetime has dropped so much, especially this year. But I intend to finally get back into FFXV, XII and X(Tidus and the lack of an overworld killed my interest). I sincerely hope that FFXVI is a good game. It may not be much of a looker right now, but I don't care if the game itself is good. For me it looks a bit to similar to XIV with XV's combat. For how I dislike some of 7R's design decisions, I think I might be anticipating part 2 more as of right now.

Sorry for the long winded reply. TL;DR FFVII-IX

Ixion

PS2 era. Easy question.

-FFX was a huge leap for the series and it's the best synthesis of all the series elements (except for the mini-overworld). It completely blew peoples minds when releasing within the first year of the PS2, and there wasn't anything like it for a handful of years.

-FFXI is the first online Final Fantasy game and has gone down as one of the all-time definitive MMOs

-FFXII then gives you a great game that is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of FFX in terms of gameplay, storytelling, and music. Pushed the bounderies

So all in all, you have three great, and very different, very experimental Final Fantasy installments. The PS1 Final Fantasy games are too similar in how they look and play besides FF9 having a unique art-style. Also, FF8 just isn't very good (mediocre plot and broken leveling).

GiJoint

PS1: 7
PS1: 8
PS1: 9
PS2: 10
PC: 11
PS2: 12

Played the shit out of all those from the late 90s to 2006, the Golden age of Final Fantasy for me. I doubt that will topped again. My least favourite on that list is 10. Final Fantasy 12 held my record of hours put into a single player RPG up until this year, clocking in at 201, what a swansong.

Bardiche

I'll go with PlayStation - Final Fantasies VII-IX because of VIII, which is the best Final Fantasy game ever released.
When it comes to creating the best trilogy: VII, VIII, X, XII (couldn't decide between leaving off VII or XII when trying to make it down to three).

PS2 era. Easy question.

-FFX was a huge leap for the series and it's the best synthesis of all the series elements (except for the mini-overworld). It completely blew peoples minds when releasing within the first year of the PS2, and there wasn't anything like it for a handful of years.

-FFXI is the first online Final Fantasy game and has gone down as one of the all-time definitive MMOs

-FFXII then gives you a great game that is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of FFX in terms of gameplay, storytelling, and music. Pushed the bounderies

So all in all, you have three great, and very different, very experimental Final Fantasy installments. The PS1 Final Fantasy games are too similar in how they look and play besides FF9 having a unique art-style. Also, FF8 just isn't very good (mediocre plot and broken leveling).
PS1: 7
PS1: 8
PS1: 9
PS2: 10
PC: 11
PS2: 12

Played the shit out of all those from the late 90s to 2006, the Golden age of Final Fantasy for me. I doubt that will topped again. My least favourite on that list is 10. Final Fantasy 12 held my record of hours put into a single player RPG up until this year, clocking in at 201, what a swansong.
I was very close to buying FFXII Zodiac Age for Switch as one of my first Switch games last month.

GiJoint

I was very close to buying FFXII Zodiac Age for Switch as one of my first Switch games last month.
Please do, or if you have a PS4 lying about it’s cheap for that as well.

Looking back at the time I played it, I was a few months before moving out of my parents place so I only had a I think 25 inch CRT and a crappy hand me down one seater couch in my room but it worked fine and what a game to get through before heading off into the world and as I said in my post, it finished off the golden age of Final Fantasy for me.

Please do, or if you have a PS4 lying about it’s cheap for that as well.

Looking back at the time I played it, I was a few months before moving out of my parents place so I only had a I think 25 inch CRT and a crappy hand me down one seater couch in my room but it worked fine and what a game to get through before heading off into the world and as I said in my post, it finished off the golden age of Final Fantasy for me.
It might honestly be my next Switch purchase being I'm on a FF kick right now. Once I have some money for it. It's pretty cheap even on Switch last I checked.

GiJoint

It might honestly be my next Switch purchase being I'm on a FF kick right now. Once I have some money for it. It's pretty cheap even on Switch last I checked.
Zodiac edition too, was funny because a year after ff12 came out they overhauled the licence board in it and in Japan they released that version with job classes.
So someday I’ll give that version a go. Anyway, enjoy it, you’ll love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom