• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the better game - Halo: Combat Evolved or Metroid Prime?

Halo: Combat Evolved or Metroid Prime?

• Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

Votes: 176 46.3%
  • Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Votes: 204 53.7%

• Total voters

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Liked Halo more. Metroid Prime is amazing but the backtracking just got out of hand towards the end and ruined it a bit for me.

In failure rates, sure. Even with all those repurchases from failed system, it still couldn't match the PS3 or Wii in lifetime sales. If the other two were trash and forgotten, what does that make the 360?
360 outsold the PS3 to gamers. A lot of non gamers bought a PS3 because it was the best Blu ray player for the price for quite some time. Just look at most game sales. 360 outsold the PS3 with most multi plats.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I mean tbf I wouldn't expect Prime to make an impact on FPS since it's not really an FPS.

Prime's world design had clear influences on games like Dark Souls.
Yea, I know what you mean. Comparing Prime and Halo is kind of screwy cause they really are completely different games.

Just working within OP's thread based on his question.

A better comparison to Prime is Powerslave (Exhumed) on the Sega Saturn. Really cool FPS that incorporated a lot of various design choices that we'd later see in Prime.

Microsoft never released final 360 numbers so we still don't know if the PS3 outsold it or not. Sony finally released numbers at discontinuation after a 4 year silence which should be considered.

But that never had anything to do with this thread anyway. It seems the thread partially turned into "MS vs. Sony" all of a sudden which sadly will screw up the votes. But I guess I should have saw that common, always common in Microsoft relative threads.

Also the anti-343 crowd is here, even though this Halo game has nothong to do with them.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I preferred MP, but Halo is the kind of game that definitely has more legs. MP didn't have much of a multiplayer and it's hard to imagine Nintendo pushing that aspect of the game any further, whereas Halo became extremely popular thanks to its multiplayer.

How many copies have the three Metroid Prime games sold compared to all the Halo games? And we all know why. This shows you where the Halo franchise excels.

I just realized I was comparing the two franchises, and OP's question was about the first two games.

As a single player game, I prefer MP. Multiplayer with friends, I prefer Halo.

As others have mentioned, they are very different.

wipeout364

Halo, Metroid prime was cool but Halo was the whole package. If you look at the sequels it becomes obvious MP3 fell off a Cliff and Halo 3 is arguably one of the greatest games of all time.

Halo is still a going concern while Metroid is relegated to B or even C tier status at Nintendo. It’s sad because Metroid deserves way more respect than Nintendo gives it.

the_master

Halo changed the world of gaming in the same way MArio 64 did. 2 of my all time favourite games.

Halo:
- Made Rechargeable health a standard
- Made limited weapon inventory with balanced weapons a standard
- Set up the control scheme and aim assist patterns for console shooters
- Major leap on AI
- Big advancement in game physics
- Incredible campaign, great multiplayer
- The game holds up today.
- It was a before and after for all FPS and shooters on any platform.

Metroid
- was a great game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Metroid Prime was so good Nintendo had to bury the franchise for 15 years because the market rejected it.
Um, they made 4 Prime games then went back to quasi third person (which was pretty cool as a concept but then they botched the execution and story) and then after that buried it outside 2D-esque remakes and spin offs until they thought to bring Prime back but so far have failed. Dev is hard.

Last edited:
1pyY0NS.png

At least the right game is winning, but the percentage should reflect the gulf in quality of the games more accurately. Something like 95% to 5%. Maybe that's being too generous though. (To Halo... :pie_thinking::messenger_winking: )

Last edited:

SegaShack

Um, they made 4 Prime games then went back to quasi third person (which was pretty cool as a concept but then they botched the execution and story) and then after that buried it outside 2D-esque remakes and spin offs until they thought to bring Prime back but so far have failed. Dev is hard.
Forgot about Prime Hunters, saw you mentioned "4" and had to think about it.

Thumb slider thing was awesome and more games should have used it.

Last edited:

Same ol G

This one is very easy Metroid Prime and it's not even close.
Halo is just an FPS, vehicles and open area's are not that special, multiplayer while fun is not the end all be all.
Can anyone name a game where they create the atmosphere that MP has.
The way you start on a desolate planet, it's a shooter but also an adventure game.
There are puzzles to be solved and upgrades to be unlocked, all these upgrades are necessary to get trough the game.
The boss battles are something else, the way shooting works, lock on dodge shoot, charge for a big shot when you have an opening, using morph to doge, etc.
The way you learn about the ancient civilization with the scan visor and the time and attention that went to all the data logs and monster anatomy when you scan them to find their weak points.
I could go on and on about Metroid, Halo was just a shooter that while fun with some friends was just another FPS.

For the people who are voting Halo tell me, how many games came after Halo that did the same thing and how many games replicate what the Prime series is able to achieve.

Sales mean nothing here, Metroid all the way.

Majukun

haven't played the first one but only halo 3, but if that game is anything to go by, then Metroid Prime

but they are really different games anyway, like comparing pasta and pizza, some ingredient in common, but very different end result

Tg89

This one is very easy Metroid Prime and it's not even close.
Halo is just an FPS, vehicles and open area's are not that special, multiplayer while fun is not the end all be all.
Can anyone name a game where they create the atmosphere that MP has.
The way you start on a desolate planet, it's a shooter but also an adventure game.
There are puzzles to be solved and upgrades to be unlocked, all these upgrades are necessary to get trough the game.
The boss battles are something else, the way shooting works, lock on dodge shoot, charge for a big shot when you have an opening, using morph to doge, etc.
The way you learn about the ancient civilization with the scan visor and the time and attention that went to all the data logs and monster anatomy when you scan them to find their weak points.
I could go on and on about Metroid, Halo was just a shooter that while fun with some friends was just another FPS.

For the people who are voting Halo tell me, how many games came after Halo that did the same thing and how many games replicate what the Prime series is able to achieve.

Sales mean nothing here, Metroid all the way.
Big facts right here.

Dark Souls is the closest I've gotten to the feeling of Metroid Prime.

Easily one of the most atmospheric games of all time.

Last edited:
haven't played the first one but only halo 3, but if that game is anything to go by, then Metroid Prime

but they are really different games anyway, like comparing pasta and pizza, some ingredient in common, but very different end result
Honestly I never liked Halo 3, something seemed off about it compared to one and 2. But it was a big event and people ran in lines to get it and it's the most successful in the series so it is what it is. I guess it was needed to keep the 360 competitive so it has that going for it.

Tg89

Honestly I never liked Halo 3, something seemed off about it compared to one and 2. But it was a big event and people ran in lines to get it and it's the most successful in the series so it is what it is. I guess it was needed to keep the 360 competitive so it has that going for it.
The Halo gameplay kinda started to feel a little outdated and slow by then honestly. They didn’t do much to iterate on it.

I was shocked to remember how heavy everything felts about it going back to MCC, especially on PC.

BabyYoda

Banned
Halo is a far more ambitious, influential and innovative game, it's not even close and that's from someone that loves Metroidvania's.

The Halo gameplay kinda started to feel a little outdated and slow by then honestly. They didn’t do much to iterate on it.

I was shocked to remember how heavy everything felts about it going back to MCC, especially on PC.

I do remember even among fans that the issue of graphics came up, especially with how Gears was blowing up,

35cent

I'd say Halo but that's because I bought Metroid Prime, played for a half an hour and then returned it the next day. I didn't gel with it at all. I'd be willing to give it a second chance though.

Paltheos

Metroid Prime is overrated. The constant scanning and backtracking and ridiculous GC controller. No thanks.

Scanning is almost entirely optional, and there aren't any tangible rewards for a complete logbook (some extras in the main menu, I think? been a while).
Complaints against backtracking in and of itself isn't fair. Allot of people like it, when the game incentivizes you to retread through old environments for things they couldn't get before. It's fun! Criticisms should be aimed at how you handle them and there are few I can think of to levy against Prime (or that are brought up by others).
Since I'm at it, one I can think of that I don't think I hear other people bring up are the abundance of mostly empty corridors in the game. These exist only (afaik) to give the game buffer to load/unload rooms because the game very much does crash on Gamecube hardware (but not Wii, interestingly) if you boost through rooms too quickly sometimes. This is a problem Retro addressed in Metroid Prime 2's level design - Maybe they just figured out a way to squeeze more out of the Gamecube's processing power in the interim, idk - But the existence of those corridors in Prime 1 is a (light) mark against the game.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Scanning is almost entirely optional, and there aren't any tangible rewards for a complete logbook (some extras in the main menu, I think? been a while).
Complaints against backtracking in and of itself isn't fair. Allot of people like it, when the game incentivizes you to retread through old environments for things they couldn't get before. It's fun! Criticisms should be aimed at how you handle them and there are few I can think of to levy against Prime (or that are brought up by others).
Since I'm at it, one I can think of that I don't think I hear other people bring up are the abundance of mostly empty corridors in the game. These exist only (afaik) to give the game buffer to load/unload rooms because the game very much does crash on Gamecube hardware (but not Wii, interestingly) if you boost through rooms too quickly sometimes. This is a problem Retro addressed in Metroid Prime 2's level design - Maybe they just figured out a way to squeeze more out of the Gamecube's processing power in the interim, idk - But the existence of those corridors in Prime 1 is a (light) mark against the game.
I know. I put 20 hours into the game. But I gave up due to the confusing 3D map and same ole enemies. I like my Metroid-esque games to be brisk. I LOVE super Metroid, Fusion, Metroid 2 remake, and I’m one of the oddballs that liked Other M.

Zannegan

I know. I put 20 hours into the game. But I gave up due to the confusing 3D map and same ole enemies. I like my Metroid-esque games to be brisk. I LOVE super Metroid, Fusion, Metroid 2 remake, and I’m one of the oddballs that liked Other M.
See, for me, the appeal is getting lost. I like when the environment is a puzzle, as long as it's a fair one.

As to the main topic, I honestly can't decide...

...so I won't. Lol. Both games are great, especially in the context of their times.

Same ol G

Halo changed the world of gaming in the same way MArio 64 did. 2 of my all time favourite games.

Halo:
- Major leap on AI

Metroid
- was a great game.
Halo:
- Made Rechargeable health a standard (Jay games are now easy cover to recover)
- Made limited weapon inventory with balanced weapons a standard (I don't know why less options are seen as a plus)
- Set up the control scheme and aim assist patterns for console shooters (there are actually games that already did twin stick controls before Halo but i'll give you aim assist)
- Major leap on AI (This is not a game changer Killzone on PS3 had great AI and it did nothing for the industry)
- Big advancement in game physics (Which games are infuenced by the specific physics used in Halo, game physics change all the time)
- Incredible campaign, great multiplayer (Metroid is all about the campaign but doesn't have multiplayer)
- The game holds up today. (NO, long answer: this is really subjective the game looks really bad to me but it's just a matter of taste i think)
- It was a before and after for all FPS and shooters on any platform. (I don't really know how to respond to this one but strongly disagree that they influenced every shooter that came after it)

Metroid
- was a great game. (You're damn right it was that's why we are still waiting to see what Nintendo can do with the fourth installment, expectations are high)

And as last but probably the most important, having to shoot in Metroid doesn't make it a shooter the game is so much more than that, that's why shooting works differentely than other games)
That's why they don't have MP it's all about the SP experience and the game is better for it.

Fuz

Banned

Halo:
- Major leap on AI

Metroid
- was a great game.
tenor.gif

Roni

Gold Member
I mean, what did it influence/impact? The two weapon limitation is the only thing I can think of that has been carried over to other games.

Edit: I guess rechargeable health too, and dudes with helmets.
Man, you're either not in the know or you're being intentionally obtuse.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Halo:
- Major leap on AI

Metroid
- was a great game.
- Didn´t make standard as Doom 3, HL2, CS, MoH AA, RTCW, didn´t have this. Even Halo CE does not have rechargeable health.
-CS did limited weapon inventory before.
-Aliens isolation set control scheme before. And aim assist is a pathetic thing for baddies that also came before Halo.
-True
-Never heard of any physics advancement Halo did.
-100% subjetive.
-100% subjetive.
-a what?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I assumed this was a joke thread. But I guess some folks took the question seriously. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It really is an impossible choice for me, I literally couldn't choose, both have amazing... everything.

I guess if I was an MP guy I'd choose Halo but I don't gaf about MP.

Trimesh

Banned
I assumed this was a joke thread. But I guess some folks took the question seriously. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I just answered it on the basis "which game did you personally enjoy playing more", and came down on the side of Metroid, although it was pretty close.

Metroid Prime was a slightly better single player "game", but Halo was leagues more impactful upon the game industry overall.
This is the right answer. I loved and nearly memorized the game, but it was no Halo in terms of the lasting impact on the industry and the game communities it created and inspired for years to come. If there was no Halo, there would be no Destiny. If there was no Destiny, an entire genre of game that was brought to console and popularized there (and then repopularized on PC in large part due to the eventual transition back to the 'mothership') would not have happened.

I know that's no EXACTLY the poll question and it may be stacking the deck unfairly in favor of the big ol' green man to do this. But hell, it's hard to ignore the reality.

jdforge

Banned
This is the right answer. I loved and nearly memorized the game, but it was no Halo in terms of the lasting impact on the industry and the game communities it created and inspired for years to come. If there was no Halo, there would be no Destiny. If there was no Destiny, an entire genre of game that was brought to console and popularized there (and then repopularized on PC in large part due to the eventual transition back to the 'mothership') would not have happened.

I know that's no EXACTLY the poll question and it may be stacking the deck unfairly in favor of the big ol' green man to do this. But hell, it's hard to ignore the reality.

Returnal just released on PS5, taking a lot of cues from Metroid Prime which was released almost 20 years ago.

I’d say Metroid Prime has just as much, if not more, lasting impact as Halo.

Top Bottom