• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the better game - Halo: Combat Evolved or Metroid Prime?

Halo: Combat Evolved or Metroid Prime?

• Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

Votes: 176 46.3%
  • Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Votes: 204 53.7%

• Total voters
Halo: Combat Evolved and Metroid prime were the best selling and most critically acclaimed FPS style games on consoles, and both are also the highest reviewed games on both their respective console platforms (both scored 97's on MC and are the number one aggregated games on Xbox and Gamecube.)

While they aim for different goals, these have both spawned successful franchises (and in Metroid case new sub-series) that are still popular with gamers today.

Which of these two games did you think was/is better?

Kuranghi

tenor.gif

Kokoloko85

Both great in there own ways. I prefer Halo. Metroid is more unique. Very different though.
Enemy variation is better in Prime. Shooting little fucktards in Halo was not epic lol

Halo really changed the 1st person shooter genre and online gaming for consoles as a whole.
Its amongst the the most influential 1st person shooters, Doom—> Quake—> Golden eye ( for consoles ) and then Halo

Last edited:

radewagon

Let's see, Halo get's monotonous and boring during the campaign because of samey corridors and uninteresting combat encounters and Metroid Prime also gets a little monotonous and boring with all of its backtracking.

Hmm..... tough choice. Tough choice.

Metroid Prime cause it's flaws are less annoying than Halo's.

hide GIF

skit_data

Wouldn’t really put them in the same category at all but for what its worth;

Metroid Prime was the best transition from 2d to 3d in any game series ever IMO. I can boot it up today and it has aged remarkably well visually. I’ve replayed it several times and aim to do so in the future.

Halo was overrated IMO, It hasn’t aged very well visually and I didn’t even think it was a great game the first playthrough (on PC).

Winner: Metroid Prime, by a landslide, according to me.

Last edited:
I'd probably side with Halo, as it brought several unique things to the table, that was transformative to the gaming industry to this day. Metroid prime will always be one of the best experiences when it comes to gaming. But I would have to give Halo just a little bit of Edge there. And the more and more I think about this Metroid gains and advantage, with the puzzles, and the unique infrastructure of the game. This is a hard one, the more and more I think about it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Only played Combat Evolved, waiting for a Metroid Prime trilogy on Switch to play them for the first time. Not voted but I will say that Combat Evolved is a stellar game.

I can’t imagine Metroid Prime actually wins anywhere but amongst people in a gaming forum. Halo was the most fun I’ve ever had co-op and changed console gaming - so definitely Halo... but I’m sure it will not win this poll

OrtizTwelve

Halo: Combat Evolved and Metroid prime were the best selling and most critically acclaimed FPS style games on consoles, and both are also the highest reviewed games on both their respective console platforms (both scored 97's on MC and are the number one aggregated games on Xbox and Gamecube.)

While they aim for different goals, these have both spawned successful franchises (and in Metroid case new sub-series) that are still popular with gamers today.

Which of these two games did you think was/is better?

Tough question. Both are very different.

Halo was awesome on XBOX when it launched, it was so different from other games of the same genre.

Metroid Prime on GameCube was also awesome, and unique. It was a FPS but also platformer, and puzzle game.

Wow, lots of memories just now.

The Halo we got wasn’t even the game that was promised. It’s always been mediocre at best, fun at times but forgettable. MP is a classic start to finish.

Dude…
I’ll never understand this kind of take. Like what? It wasn’t an RTS or open world game? What’s on par with it as an FPS that had the open environments and vehicular combat - unreal tournament? I remember people saying this sort of stuff at the time and I was primarily playing games on PC - half life was groundbreaking, then Halo was the next groundbreaking FPS. Never understood the minimization of it

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I’ll never understand this kind of take. Like what? It wasn’t an RTS or open world game? What’s on par with it as an FPS that had the open environments and vehicular combat - unreal tournament? I remember people saying this sort of stuff at the time and I was primarily playing games on PC - half life was groundbreaking, then Halo was the next groundbreaking FPS. Never understood the minimization of it
Well you must not have been paying attention then nor ever bothered to look up the initial reveal. MS took something big and unique and made it console friendly and boring.

skit_data

I would say Unreal, Half-life, AvP, Counter-Strike and Q3 brought many of the same aspects to the table years before Halo. Battlefield 1942 released before Halo CE on PC, and personally i would say it made Halo look lackluster in terms of vehicular combat and scope when it released one year later.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
This is so tough I couldn’t answer.

MP has the better world, and game engine. 60fps, yes please.

The actual core gameplay of Halo was better though. Recharging shield, better weapons, and fun/funny AI. I could look around while moving lol.

...maybe Halo was better.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They're both in my Top 10..
Nintendo fanboys will vote for Metroid and almost everyone else (i.e. mature people) will vote for Halo.

Nice troll.

These duality based threads are the worst in the sense it stimulates, well.. duality. Both games are sooo good.. such a shame that for a "discussion" to take place we have to chose which one is best. It's not even a rightfull comparison..

Last edited:
Top Bottom