• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game should I play next?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Hey there GAF,

Was trying to find a main topic for these types of questions, since they popup a lot on research, but always in different topics.

So, since I'm currently facing that dilemma, I've decided to create an official topic for when people need help/guidance in what to play next.

In my case I'm almost wrapping things up in Tales of Arise and can't quite decide what I want to tackle next.

I've decided to stop buying games, since my backlog is rather extensive.

Currently in the backlog I have:

- Demon Souls Remake (started it but dropped it);
- Elden Ring;
- Horizon Zero: Dawn;
- Horizon: Forbidden West;
- Days Gone;
- Doom Eternal;
- Marvel Avenger's (started it but dropped it);
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War;

My online game is currently GT7 (I usually pair a single-player game with an online one).

I'm kind of curious for Horizon Forbidden West, but have to go through the first one...so I was thinking maybe Days Gone, since I'm not ready to dive deep into Elden Ring yet?

I'm clueless here.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tales of Arise might be a kinda long game, right? After something like that I'd go for something shorter, faster and different, so out of those you posted I'd play DOOM Eternal.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You can't go wrong, imo, with any of these:

- Elden Ring;

But definitely play HZD before HFW.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Tales of Arise might be a kinda long game, right? After something like that I'd go for something shorter, faster and different, so out of those you posted I'd play DOOM Eternal.

Super long game, at least for me. Currently with 120+ hours. Have already finish the main story, just trying to go for the platinum trophy (requires a grind fest of sorts).

Doom might be a good pick, really liked Doom 3.

daysgone is a fairly long game. i personally loved the game and think it's criminally underrated by critics. I will say having just beaten elden ring, it's a fantastic game and you should play it lol.

More difficult than Sekiro? Sekiro took years of gaming from me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Super long game, at least for me. Currently with 120+ hours. Have already finish the main story, just trying to go for the platinum trophy (requires a grind fest of sorts).

More difficult than Sekiro? Sekiro took years of gaming from me :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well, Eternal is the exact opposite of what DOOM 3 was trying to do.

Think of it as some kind of Devil May Cry with guns. You move fast, shoot a lot and got tons of options when it comes to gameplay. Thing is, all those options are actually mandatory, so you really need to use everything at your disposal. Some people got turned off by this.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That’s some back log.

Personally I’d go;

DeS (god tier)
Elden Ring (god tier)
Horizon 1
Horizon 2
Doom

In that order. And I’d scrap the rest. Maybe mix it up in case you get fatigued; DeS, Horizon 1, Elden Ring, Horizon 2.

I’ve got a huge back log but in terms of what I want to play at the minute;

Hollow Knight
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Tunic
Kena

I too have Elden Ring and Forbidden West in my backlog but sadly I’m in limbo on my PS5 for a month or so until I get a new tv (can’t commit to 50 hour plus games right now).

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Scrap Avengers and COD, put Days Gone at the back. Then do this:

Horizon 1
Demon's Souls
Doom
Horizon 2
Elden Ring

Breaks up the Horizon and Souls games nicely. Play Days Gone if it's still on your list after those 5.

Or:

Horizon 1
Demon's Souls
Horizon 2
Doom
Elden Ring

Breaks up the open world games

Last edited:
Play an open world and a linear game. Cycle between the two. You don't want to play two open world game at once. From that list, I would start with demon souls and horizon zero dawn.

Probably Horizon ZD. You're going to want to beat that before part 2, and you're also going to want quite a bit of space between the two games. You may literally not even want to play the sequel for another year after finishing part 1. Both are large open world games.

elliot5

Finish Demon's Souls as it isn't terribly long
Play through DOOM Eternal to shake it up and again isn't terribly long
Dive into Elden Ring after

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This, you don’t want to burn yourself out playing multiple long RPGs in the row, this is why after playing Elden Ring and Triangle Strategy, I decided to play Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Of the open world games, Elden Ring or Horizon ZD. But don't plan on playing any of them back-to-back, it will drain you of all vigor for open world titles. Both ER and HZD have somewhat slow beginnings, but they shine the longer you stay with them.

Days Gone is the game you can afford to skip, TBH. It has some redeeming aspects, but there are better places to spend the 50 hours it will require of you.

DOOM Eternal is a short stint, 10-15 hours depending on your aptitude and difficulty mode. If you've played the first, then go for it. But I found it really tough to play DOOM 2016 after I played DOOM Eternal.

TintoConCasera

Think I might tackle Doom Eternal, since it's short and it's a game that I don't see myself going for the Platinum, so I'll probably wrap it up quickly and dont drain myself even more after Tales of Arise.
Try to reach at least the third level (a snowy one). First two levels are basically about getting upgrades, so the game doesn't really take off until the third stage.

First stage is the worst, although the second could also give you a good idea of what the game is about.

Have fun! And remember to use the chainsaw and never stop moving.

Fredrik

Do like me, put these foolish ambitions to rest, just jump into Elden Ring and enjoy the journey instead of focusing on reaching the goal. In short I accepted that I’ll most likely never finish it and that removed the frustration for me, I absolutely love it.

But play something else too, GT7 is not a bad idea.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I recently made a spreadsheet with my backlog and I have 140 games I started and dropped or haven't even started. No idea how to tackle this but figured im going to lol

The correct answer is always Returnal no matter what your backlog list has on it. haha

I'd say Days Gone. Just be aware it gets a lot better after bike upgrades and better weapons. The beginning isn't the greatest.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Personally, I'd dig into Day's Gone. It's a pretty good stand alone open world adventure that (as far as the genre is concerned) can be finished pretty quickly.

I know Elden Ring is all the rage, but since you didn't like Demon's Souls I'm hesitant to suggest it.

If you use all the items at your disposal, then no. I 1 shot most all the bosses. I explored heavily and was always well equipped and leveled up for each boss. Summons are extremely strong and make most of the bosses quite a bit easier. if you like to punish yourself and you're 1337 and don't want to use everything the devs give you in the game then it's probably as hard or harder than dark souls 3. I beat sekiro as well and think most of it's bosses were more difficult to me.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Attack on titan 2.

Are you a clairvoyant? I actually have that one on the backlog too.

finish him humphrey bogart GIF by Warner Archive

Y0ssarian

Banned
Hey there GAF,

Was trying to find a main topic for these types of questions, since they popup a lot on research, but always in different topics.

So, since I'm currently facing that dilemma, I've decided to create an official topic for when people need help/guidance in what to play next.

In my case I'm almost wrapping things up in Tales of Arise and can't quite decide what I want to tackle next.

I've decided to stop buying games, since my backlog is rather extensive.

Currently in the backlog I have:

- Demon Souls Remake (started it but dropped it);
- Elden Ring;
- Days Gone;
- Doom Eternal;
- Marvel Avenger's (started it but dropped it);
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War;

My online game is currently GT7 (I usually pair a single-player game with an online one).

I'm kind of curious for Horizon Forbidden West, but have to go through the first one...so I was thinking maybe Days Gone, since I'm not ready to dive deep into Elden Ring yet?

I'm clueless here.
Since you just played a rpg I would go with BlOps Cold War or Doom for a palate cleanser.

I like these threads but I have a phone app called My Game Collection. You just put the list on there and click 'random' and it will pick a game for you. I just do that now

TidusYuna

Marvel's Avengers. You should go for the platinum trophy. How many people can say they did that. You could be the first on Gaf! Think about it.

Top Bottom