• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which country has the most diversity?

Best country for diversity?

• USA

Votes: 76 59.4%
  • Brazil

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Canada

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • UK

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • France

• South Africa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mexico

• North Korea

Votes: 6 4.7%

• Total voters

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It's the states. In my neighborhood alone there are Americans, Europeans, Latinos, Middle Easterners, Africans, Asians and South Asians. Everyone with their own language and customs with English binding us. Each group isnt off in their own neighborhood doing their own thing. That's why America is called the melting pot.

Not sure where else you'll find Africans at the local Mexican restaurant or Mexicans at a Middle Eastern restaurant drinking Rose water.

Hugare

Maybe I'm biased 'cause i'm brazilian, but Brazil

I live in São Paulo, the most populous city in Latina America by a pretty wide margin, and it's pretty nuts how diverse people are in here

I've recently been to New York 1 month ago, and sure it's diverse (especially Manhattan), but I noticed that each "group" has their own bubble.

I'm no woke person, but what I immediately noticed in Manhattan was how I didnt see ONE white person in unskilled jobs.

Cleaners, cashiers and etc. were all minorities.

That shook me, 'cause here in Brazil, you see people of different collors, religion and nationalities working with the same stuff, sharing a beer and etc.

Of all the place that i've been, Brazil has the most diversity and communion between different people

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The U.S and you can see it in the food. I go to Europe and Im miserable because its impossible to find good Mexican and Asian options. They love Indian food in England but not in other European countries where Arab gyros are the best you can do.

Yes, I know we have Americanized italian, mexican, asian and even greek food, but fuck me American pizza and pasta tasted better than anything I had in Italy. I had authentic mexican and traditional Japanese Ramen in LA and nearly threw up they tasted so different from the American versions.

I really dont care about diversity in films and games, but I love ethnic food as much as I love burgers and southern fried chicken. Chipotle saved my life.

London and Toronto are great food towns too. So id rank Canada and UK 2nd and 3rd.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
East africa which is where humans originated and is the main pool for human genes so it should have the most genetic variation among the people living there. as groups migrated out of africa they evolved to be able to adapt to the different environments that they migrated to. taking that into account i'm probably picking brazil after the rest of africa since there was a lot of mixing between the portuguese, natives and africans. more people later came to brazil in the 1800s/1900s too I think, but I'm not sure how much they mixed with the current population at that time. but everyones genes come from that east african gene pool I think

Nobody really knows because everyone's definition of diverse is different.

Most people go on looks or language of some sort.

But here's another metric that can also be part of diversity nobody talks about. Setting. Urban vs rural. Lets face it. There's a big difference between city folk and someone living in a small town or farm country. Their "culture" and lifestyles will be totally different. So any country with heavy urban hubs will have more like minded city folks than a country that is spread out 50/50 city/rural.
If we go by language, India has something like 19,500. Skin colour also has a lot of variancy as well, as does culture and lifestyle.

nice_picture_of_cats_hd_cat-HD.jpg
i wonder which country has the most kittehs

I feel like everyone is giving credit to other countries with a bunch of ethnic subgroups while completely ignoring the US native American population and the fact that there are hundreds of languages there alone.
There are 574 federally recognized Indian Nations (variously called tribes, nations, bands, pueblos, communities and native villages) in the United States. Approximately 229 of these ethnically, culturally and linguistically diverse nations are located in Alaska; the other federally recognized tribes are located in 35 other states. Additionally, there are state recognized tribes located throughout the United States recognized by their respective state governments.

I'm sure places like India or some African nations still have way more ethnic groups but I think this is being overlooked. This probably applies to Canada and Mexico as well.

If we go by language, India has something like 19,500. Skin colour also has a lot of variancy as well, as does culture and lifestyle.
I think a lot of outsiders just think of Indians as being brown and that's it. My boss is Indian and he certainly sees more than that. There's clearly quite a lot of snobbery/racism between the lighter skinned and darker skinned Indians.

Dark Star

USA is very diverse. Every single country/race/nationality/culture has a very large group of people influencing the "melting pot" in the US. There is more diversity in the popular states (NY, Cali, Texas, Florida, etc). You can say the same for Canada, it's mostly the populated areas like Toronto seeing the most diversity, compared to Quebec or some other area. established areas that are clearly culture diverse centers - A chinatown in NY for example, or a cuban market in Florida.

London / England is another major diversity center in the world, I would love to visit. I have cousins from there and they're always talking about their culturally diverse group of friends.

Last edited:
The U.S and you can see it in the food. I go to Europe and Im miserable because its impossible to find good Mexican and Asian options. They love Indian food in England but not in other European countries where Arab gyros are the best you can do.

Yes, I know we have Americanized italian, mexican, asian and even greek food, but fuck me American pizza and pasta tasted better than anything I had in Italy. I had authentic mexican and traditional Japanese Ramen in LA and nearly threw up they tasted so different from the American versions.

I really dont care about diversity in films and games, but I love ethnic food as much as I love burgers and southern fried chicken. Chipotle saved my life.

London and Toronto are great food towns too. So id rank Canada and UK 2nd and 3rd.
Hawaiian ramen is the best. Japanese, but mixed with American experimentalism.

I think a lot of outsiders just think of Indians as being brown and that's it. My boss is Indian and he certainly sees more than that. There's clearly quite a lot of snobbery/racism between the lighter skinned and darker skinned Indians.
You’re right about that. But even among those of the same shade of skin, there can be hundreds of different cultures and languages.

Top Bottom