• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console has the Best RPGs ?

Three

The Xbox makes a strong case for having a large library of strong Rpgs now.

Sure it's missing a few big ones, but it has its own to add like Kotor, Jade Empire, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey as well as a bunch of classic multiplatform ones now.

What sets it apart is they are all playable on the machine you are currently using instead of jumping between consoles, and thats a huge plus in my eyes.
Almost all famous PS1, PS2 and PS3 RPGs are playable on a PS4 or PS5.

Can you put in an old disc and play them? No. Are they all playable on the machine you are currently using? Yes.

Last edited:

Sophist

Having a ps1 would also give you access to these

• final fantasy 1 2 4 5 6
  • chrono trigger
  • tales of phantasia (remake)
  • front mission
  • tactics ogre

i actually discovered and played ff 1 2, chrono trigger, and tale of phantasia on ps1, not on super nes/famicom.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Almost all famous PS1, PS2 and PS3 RPGs are playable on a PS4 or PS5.

Can you put in an old disc and play them? No. Are they all playable on the machine you are currently using? Yes.

Having a ps1 would also give you access to these

• final fantasy 1 2 4 5 6
  • chrono trigger
  • tales of phantasia (remake)
  • front mission
  • tactics ogre

i actually discovered and played ff 1 2, chrono trigger, and tale of phantasia on ps1, not on super nes/famicom.
You guys are insane.

Games should be played on their original hardware. No compromises.

FR1908

For me the pinnacle of the JRPG was the Snes era. I have enjoyed RPGS the most in that era. Secret of Mana, Zelda: A Link to the Past (for me it felt like an rpg), Final Fatasy 2 & 3, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Time (Gaia), Terranigma, Super Mario RPG and Earthbound are all classics.
I can still hum every tune of each of those games. I let my 2 toddlers listen to Youtube playlists of 16bit RPG music when they're playing around

That's a tough one. I'd say it's a tie between PS1 and PS2, the former has iconic titles and the latter has a huge quantity of less iconinc but still high-quality titles (Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile 2, SMT, P3/4, FFXII, Suikoden V, Shadow Hearts, etc.).

The PS4 is a solid contender for a 3rd spot thanks to the many ports, remasters, and new games. If the PS5 has an equally as good library, that's all I could ask for.

Top Bottom