• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console has the Best RPGs ?

teezzy

Banned
The answer is PS1, and it isn't even close. I do have a real soft spot for that 16 bit goodness of the SNES though.

Lost Odyssey was on Xbox 360.

People are gonna sleep on the Xbox consoles here, but original Xbox kinda paved the way for western RPGs gaining serious traction in the console space, and 360 followed suit.

Let's not forget 360 was the best console to play Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fable, Fallout, The Witcher 2, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex: Human Revolution at the time - JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean:: The Last Hope, Resonance of Fate, and Tales of Vesperia only helped seal that deal further.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SNES, PS1, and PS2 are hard to choose from - they all had a lot of great titles. There is a case to be made for remasters which would bring the DS and PSP into consideration too, but on the other hand, some of the remasters/ports were badly done.

Oliade677

Neo Member
I’d have to go with the PS1 on the strength of Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile. I also think Chrono Cross is one of the finest big budget RPG’s ever created. The SNES is my number 2 by the slimmest of margins.

Heh i love it when every list just ignores everything besides famous names in the genre like FF/SMT(which was never was popular or actually KNOWN before Nocturne/Persona 3) and something like VC which is actually a tactical RPG and ignore the tons of other TRPGS.

Anyway: PS2>PS1=3DS=PSP>PS3=NDS>PS4=Wii/Switch>SNES etc.
I never really liked or understood the fervor for 16bit JRPGs (today) besides the handful of known games, a lot of them had a ton of problems since the genre was evoloving and many of those games had re-releases that fixed, improved and modernized some of those classic titles (see DQV on PS2 for example).

I know this opinion of mine will trigger some people but i focus on what's actually playable these days, and my tolerance for random encounters for example is very low these days which is why i'm skipping SMT Nocturne's remastered since instead of fixing the game's problems like random skill inheritance and some insanly high random encounters rates, they decided to just up the resoultion and add voice acting and call it a day, and don't act like adding Raidou is a big thing since he was on the PS2 Japan only re-release Maniax version.

Edit: oh and i forgot! 5$ day one DLC for Dante! Oh Atlus you scummy fuckers.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Its pretty much a two horse race between SNES and PS1. If you're just looking at Western releases PS1 probably pulls ahead but things get muddier when you start looking at all the Super Famicom RPGS that never made it out of Japan.

Chastten

Banned
Objectively, it has to be the SNES, PS1 or PS2. All three had massively succesful RPG's that defined their generations and are still looked back upon fondly decades after release. However, as I wasn't into RPG's at the time of the first two, and I never owned a PS2, my personal picks are quite different.

To me personally right now, it's gotta be the Switch. Just this year, thanks to Corona, I've finished Ys 8, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Shining Resonance Refrain, Dragon Quest XI, Xenoblade Chroncles Remastered, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered and I'm now playing Trials of Mana. Then there's the Atelier games, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, all the Final Fantasy's, etcetera. It might not have a lot of exclusives but it has all the best games the other systems have, all the remasters from earlier gens and it gives me the option to play them on the go.

Runner up is the Xbox 360, or at least the earlier years. Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Lost Odysey and so many others defined the first half of that generation for me.

Third would be 3DS. I love playing RPG's on the go, and Bravely Default and Bravely Second scratched an itch for me that hadn't been scratched for close to a decade. Then there were the Fire Emblem games, Pokémon, Mario & Luigi and lots of smaller lesser known titles. Having all the NDS titles available there did help as well.

Hudo

SNES has Final Fantasy 6, Dragon Quest V and Chrono Trigger....
PC has Fallout, Planescape: Torment and Ultima VII...

Fuck man, don't know what to choose.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Scencerly don't like any of those, but not a big fan of RPG's in general. Would bite some like The Witcher and so.

carlosrox

Banned
Thanks for not using the stupid as shit "J"RPG terminology. (well in the title at least)

SNES, PS1, and Switch are good contenders for best RPG machine.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's close between the Ps1 and SNES for me.
Ps1 probably has more that I like..... but SNES has Chrono Trigger (Ps1 technically does too, but it's the shitty version)

DonF

I feel like the ps1 had a good amount of experimental RPGs. I would say ps1. Ps2 had great RPGs but not as much.
The thing with ps1 rpgs is that they experimented and had the courage to release anything.
PS2 production values went high so they had to develop successful games, not that much experimentation.
So ps1 had very unique experiences, ps2 had very good experiences. Later gens ...rpgs were not as popular so we have way less rpgs in the ps3, ps4 era.

I love JRPGs so mostly Playstation and Nintendo systems but its especially PS2, that system was king of JRPGs.
Yeah PS2 is still the undisputed king for me. So many fond memories playing JRPGs on there like Odin Sphere, Xenosaga Trilogy, Suikoden 3 - 5, etc

So far Switch comes close. I'll see if it overtakes the PS2 as my goat of all time once the Switch lifecycle is over

Mozzarella

After PC its Playstation 1.
EDIT: OH shit, i posted a comment long time ago already. :messenger_tears_of_joy: at least im consistent.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Considering all of them can be emulated on a PC I think it's ultimately a moot point. I'm definitely in the SNES/PS1 camp but at the same time I look at games like Skyrim, Witcher, Divinity Original Sin 2........ RPG's are still great no matter the generation

bobone

SNES for me, but the PS1 is a very solid argument.
My favorite RPG is Skies of Arcadia, which was on Dreamcast, sadly that console seemed to forget RPGs existed.

This thread makes me really miss good RPGs. Its a shame noone can make an argument for any modern consoles

Arsic

Gold Member
PS1 for me with PS2 close second.

PS1 off hand personal favs:

Suikoden 2
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 7
Star Ocean the Second Story
Alundra
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Dragon Quest 7
Arc the Lad Collection
Valkyrie Profile
Breath of Fire 4
Wild Arms 2
Chrono Cross

The list goes on and on. PS1 was rpg heaven.

Tschumi

I'm not saying you're malicious but your omission of persona alone undermines this consideration. For the record, for persona 3 and 4, final fantasy 10 and 12, rogue galaxy, tales of Symphonia (jpn), kingdom hearts, and dozens of other titles, it can only be PS2.

TidusYuna

If we're talking quantity of quality games with no bearing whether or not they're exclusive or region locked, then it's the Playstation 2, no doubt about it.
Final Fantazy X
Persona 3FES, Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga I & II
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy XII: International (english patch)
Dragon Quest V (3D Remake, JP exclusive with english patch)
Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts & Kingdom Hearts II
Suikoden III & V
Shadow Hearts & Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Tales of the Abyss (best in the series)
Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra (1 is rough, and 2 is generally a bad video game, Episode III is in another stratosphere of quality)
Valkyrie Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy
Odin Sphere
Fixed and true.

Kagey K

Banned
The Xbox makes a strong case for having a large library of strong Rpgs now.

Sure it's missing a few big ones, but it has its own to add like Kotor, Jade Empire, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey as well as a bunch of classic multiplatform ones now.

What sets it apart is they are all playable on the machine you are currently using instead of jumping between consoles, and thats a huge plus in my eyes.

Last edited:
Og psx was the golden age of the rpg. Voice didnt have be recorded so its all text you read yourself. Never the same once you bring in voices and actual cast

Havoc2049

The Sega Genesis with add-ons (Power Base and Sega CD) beats the SNES, IMO.
Power Base
Phantasy Star
Ys: The Vanished Omens
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Genesis
Phantasy Star II, III & IV
Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Shining Force II
Beyond Oasis
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Ys III
Shadowrun
Gauntlet IV
Starflight
Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of The Eternal Sun
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday

Sega CD
Lunar The Silver Star
Lunar Eternal Blue
Shining Force CD
Vay
Dungeon Explorer
Eye of the Beholder
Dungeon Master II

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
XBox had Morrowind, both KotOR games, Jade Empire and Arx Fatalis. That alone is enough to move it to first place. It's so far above rest that it's pointless to even choose second place.

Top Bottom