• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console has the Best RPGs ?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Really hard for me to pick just one...

The PS One has, Breath of Fire IV and most of my favorite Squaresoft games such as Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve, and Front Missions 2-3. Not to mention Lunar SSSC, Legend of Dragoon, Arc the Lad Collection, and Vandal Hearts.

The PlayStation 2 has the .hack tetralogy, Dark Cloud 2 and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Suikoden III-V, Xenosaga I-III, Front Mission 4-5, and Star Ocean 3.

The PlayStation 3 has, Valkyria Chronicles, Nier, Fallout 3, No Ni Punani, and Demon's Souls.

The SNES has, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV-VI, Mother 3, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Front Mission, Tactics Ogre, and Live-A-Live.

The Sega has, Phantasy Star I-IV, Albert's Odyssey, Wachenroder, OG Lunar, Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, and Pier Solar.

I guess since Sony consoles are usually my go-to for JRPGs, I will go with the PlayStation One, but I feel the SNES and the Sega have a solid representation for console RPG's. What do you think ?

Pallas

For me it was the original PlayStation, followed by only the SNES. The other consoles aren’t even on the same level, sorry. That of course is my opinion.

I will like to honorably mention the Xbox 360 though for Lost Odyssey. Honestly one of the best JRPG’s ever made.

To expand a bit: PS1 also had hidden gems like Kartia, Thousand Arms, Brigadine, Legend of Legaia, Jade Cocoon, Suikoden 1-2, Vagrant Story, Wild arms 1-2, etc.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Snes. That was the GOAT! They were all just beautifully crafted games at the final mainstream height of 2D. There's a reason that system was known as the home of RPGs back in the day.
2nd place is PS1.

Edit: Severe underrepresentation of Snes there. You have Breath of Fire 4 but not 1-3. No Dragon Quest. Illusion of Gaia. Terranigma. Secret of Evermore. Super Mario RPG. Ys.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Lost Odyssey was on Xbox 360.
Yes. Yes, it was.

tumblr_p30t4wQafW1s2lfoto1_500.gifv

If we're talking quantity of quality games with no bearing whether or not they're exclusive or region locked, then it's the Playstation 2, no doubt about it.

Persona 3FES, Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga I & II
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy XII: International (english patch)
Dragon Quest V (3D Remake, JP exclusive with english patch)
Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts & Kingdom Hearts II
Suikoden III & V
Shadow Hearts & Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Tales of the Abyss (best in the series)
Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra (1 is rough, and 2 is generally a bad video game, Episode III is in another stratosphere of quality)
Valkyrie Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy
Odin Sphere

cireza

Banned
That's difficult. But my choices would be a SEGA console for retro games : MegaDrive+Mega-CD and Saturn, and Xbox One for current consoles.

Here is a quick list of RPGs I really love :

Retro :
Shining Force series (MD + MCD + Saturn)
Mystaria (Saturn)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
Phantasy Star I-IV (MS + MD)
Landstalker (MD)
Lunar Eternal Blue (MCD)
Snatcher (MCD)
Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)

Current gen :
Final Fantasy X (Vita)
Lost Odyssey
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy XIII
Lightning Returns
Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles IV
Nier Automata
Catherine
Tokyo Mirage

These come to mind.

Last edited:
PS1 had

Alundra
Arc the Lad 1-3
Azure Dreams
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Chrono Trigger and Cross
Diablo
Dragon Quest 7
Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
Grandia
Granstream Saga
Guardian's Crusade
Hoshigami - Ruining Blue Earth
Jade Cocoon
Kartia
Koudelka
Legend of Mana
Lunar and Lunar 2
Megaman Legends 1 and 2
Ogre Battle
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Persona 1 and 2
Rhapsody
Saga Frontier 1 and 2
Saiyuki - Journey West
Shadow Tower
Suikoden 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts 1 and 2
Vanguard Bandits
Wild Arms 1 and 2
Xenogears

It is the GOAT and will likely never be topped.

I'm a big fan of most of the RPGs on the PS2, especially the SMT games and Shadow Hearts, but the PS1 was a fucking juggernaut.

Last edited:
PS1 had

Alundra
Arc the Lad 1-3
Azure Dreams
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Chrono Trigger and Cross
Diablo
Dragon Quest 7
Grandia
Granstream Saga
Guardian's Crusade
Jade Cocoon
Kartia
Koudelka
Legend of Mana
Lunar and Lunar 2
Megaman Legends 1 and 2
Ogre Battle
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Persona 1 and 2
Rhapsody
Saga Frontier 1 and 2
Saiyuki - Journey West
Shadow Tower
Suikoden 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts 1 and 2
Vanguard Bandits
Wild Arms 1 and 2
Xenogears

I'm a big fan of most of the RPGs on the PS2, especially the SMT games and Shadow Hearts, but the PS1 was a fucking juggernaut.

As a jrpg enthusiast, this is the only right answer. SNES had some great jrpgs, but nothing like this. PS2 had quantity over quality, mostly uninspired sequels that were too long for their own good, just trying to cash in from the PS1 success, and that's the reason they started to die out during the PS3 era.

Aion002

SNES or PS1. PS2 has too much quantity and not that much quality.

Not this argument again. The question is NOT which console you can overall play the highest amount of quality RPGs...
It's a bonus.

Ps1 has some huge hits, but PS2 has more games that I enjoy, including mmy favorites JRPG's ever (Radiata, Shadow Hearts 2 and Suikoden 5).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
For me it was the original PlayStation, followed by only the SNES. The other consoles aren’t even on the same level, sorry. That of course is my opinion.

I will like to honorably mention the Xbox 360 though for Lost Odyssey. Honestly one of the best JRPG’s ever made.

To expand a bit: PS1 also had hidden gems like Kartia, Thousand Arms, Brigadine, Legend of Legaia, Jade Cocoon, Suikoden 1-2, Vagrant Story, Wild arms 1-2, etc.
PS1 had

Alundra
Arc the Lad 1-3
Azure Dreams
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Chrono Trigger and Cross
Diablo
Dragon Quest 7
Grandia
Granstream Saga
Guardian's Crusade
Jade Cocoon
Kartia
Koudelka
Legend of Mana
Lunar and Lunar 2
Megaman Legends 1 and 2
Ogre Battle
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Persona 1 and 2
Rhapsody
Saga Frontier 1 and 2
Saiyuki - Journey West
Shadow Tower
Suikoden 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts 1 and 2
Vanguard Bandits
Wild Arms 1 and 2
Xenogears

As a jrpg enthusiast, this is the only right answer. SNES had some great jrpgs, but nothing like this. PS2 had quantity over quality, mostly uninspired sequels that were too long for their own good, just trying to cash in from the PS1 success, and that's the reason they started to die out during the PS3 era.
This. The PS1 unleashed some tremendous talent and some incredibly brave, original ideas that have influenced everything that came after it. 6th gen is where bloat started creeping in, and VA was never a substitute for good writing and written dialogue.

SNES is second, but had its limits and you’d never see something like Xenogears on a Nintendo system back then.

Rran

SNES has three of my top four JRPGs of all time (FF3, EarthBound, Chrono Trigger).

If we're counting games like CT and the pre-FF7 FF games for PSX, you have to count stuff like the Wii's Virtual Console (etc) for those systems.

Also, Mother 3 is listed under SNES in the OP, but it was for the GBA.

Pejo

There are some good arguments in this thread. I'm gonna go with PS1 for the most good RPGs, with SNES being the most timeless and highest quality.

NahaNago

I'd have to go with the PS1 for this one as well. The ps2 was great and I loved shadow hearts back in the day but the PS1 had so many classics.

sublimit

Banned
If you like JRPGs and your choices are anything other than PS1 or PS2 you either never experienced these systems or you just have bad taste.:messenger_smirking:

PS2 for me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Chrono Trigger and FF6 are probably #1 and #2 on my all-time JRPG list, but the big thing the PS1 has over the SNES was that we actually got most if not all the good ones in English. Too many great RPGs on the SNES were untranslated. Of course it's different now with ROM hacks and official releases like Trials of Mana, but back then we just didn't get the full SNES RPG experience.

Did I miss something? I had a 360 and played the shit out of it but never played this game. Should I jump in? Is it BC with Xbox One?

Lost Odyssey is a great game and if you like JRPGs you absolutely should play it.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Tough decision, but i got to say

1.- Snes - Because of Chrono Trigger and FFVI, the two best rpgs of all time. Not to mention Earthbound, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana and the marvelous Zelda a Link to The Past

2.- PSONE - Because it also has Chrono Trigger and FFVI but also, other gems like Chrono Cross FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
For me it was the Saturn for the Working Design games but over all Id say the Snes even though didn't own one at the time.

Top Bottom