• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Which console has the Best RPGs ?

Three

Oct 26, 2014
The Xbox makes a strong case for having a large library of strong Rpgs now.

Sure it's missing a few big ones, but it has its own to add like Kotor, Jade Empire, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey as well as a bunch of classic multiplatform ones now.

What sets it apart is they are all playable on the machine you are currently using instead of jumping between consoles, and thats a huge plus in my eyes.
Almost all famous PS1, PS2 and PS3 RPGs are playable on a PS4 or PS5.

Can you put in an old disc and play them? No. Are they all playable on the machine you are currently using? Yes.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Vier

Sophist

Feb 4, 2015
basement
Having a ps1 would also give you access to these

• final fantasy 1 2 4 5 6
  • chrono trigger
  • tales of phantasia (remake)
  • front mission
  • tactics ogre

i actually discovered and played ff 1 2, chrono trigger, and tale of phantasia on ps1, not on super nes/famicom.

• Triggered

Vier

Jun 7, 2019
Dallas, Texas
Almost all famous PS1, PS2 and PS3 RPGs are playable on a PS4 or PS5.

Can you put in an old disc and play them? No. Are they all playable on the machine you are currently using? Yes.

Having a ps1 would also give you access to these

• final fantasy 1 2 4 5 6
  • chrono trigger
  • tales of phantasia (remake)
  • front mission
  • tactics ogre

i actually discovered and played ff 1 2, chrono trigger, and tale of phantasia on ps1, not on super nes/famicom.
You guys are insane.

Games should be played on their original hardware. No compromises.

Reactions: Three

FR1908

Neo Member
May 3, 2021
Netherlands
For me the pinnacle of the JRPG was the Snes era. I have enjoyed RPGS the most in that era. Secret of Mana, Zelda: A Link to the Past (for me it felt like an rpg), Final Fatasy 2 & 3, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Time (Gaia), Terranigma, Super Mario RPG and Earthbound are all classics.
I can still hum every tune of each of those games. I let my 2 toddlers listen to Youtube playlists of 16bit RPG music when they're playing around

Kokoloko85

Sep 26, 2019
Ids say PS1 and then Saturn but Snes also can be 1st, 2nd or 3rd depending on what you like. Its all very close

Nov 8, 2018
That's a tough one. I'd say it's a tie between PS1 and PS2, the former has iconic titles and the latter has a huge quantity of less iconinc but still high-quality titles (Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile 2, SMT, P3/4, FFXII, Suikoden V, Shadow Hearts, etc.).

The PS4 is a solid contender for a 3rd spot thanks to the many ports, remasters, and new games. If the PS5 has an equally as good library, that's all I could ask for.