• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Console got better support from Sega post DC? (Xbox, PS2, or GameCube)

Which of the three consoles received the best Sega Line-up post DC?

• Total voters
After the DC cratered into a pile of dust, Sega did something that I have always though was a silly move and released a great deal of exclusive content on all 3 major consoles at the time, the Xbox, PS2, and GameCube.

So the question is which of the three consoles do you think got the best line-up from Sega? Sega Ips only, Focusing on single platform exclusives:

On PS2 they had:

1. Virtua Cop series
  2. Altered Beast
  3. F355
  4. Yakuza series
  5. Shinobi series
  6. Sega Rally
  7. Sega Bass
  8. Sega Superstars
  9. Shining Force series
  10. Thunder Force VI
  11. Virtua Tennis
  12. Virtua Fighter 4/E
On Xbox they had:

1. Crazy Taxi 3
  2. Shenmue 2
  3. Gun Valkyrie
  4. House of the Dead 3
  5. Jet Set Radio Future
  6. Panzer Dragoon
  7. Sega GT & Sega GT online
  8. SpikeOut: Battlestreet
  9. OutRun 2006
  10. OutRun 2

On the GameCube they had:

1. Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
  2. Sonic Gems collection
  3. Amazing Island
  4. Beach Spikers
  5. Home Run King
  6. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
  7. Phantasy Star Online episode 3
  8. Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
  9. Virtua Striker 2002
All of these are pretty good line-ups but which console received the best line-up? (feel free to mention if I missed any Sega exclusive games in a post)

IMO, despite thinking they should have just thrown all or most of their stuff on the Xbox or PS2 and splitting their resources never made sense. I'd go with Xbox. For one, it has pretty much everything covered, you have a beat em; up. Arcade and realistic racing games, House of the Dead, arcade style titles, Shooters, and Action Adventure titles.

I think the GC was the weakest as Sonic and Monkey ball were basically the starts of the show and wasn't that interested in Billy. PS2 was decent but the quality drop for some of the series like Shinobi and Thunder Force is obvious. Points for VF4 and Yakuza though. But I feel like Xbox touched more areas with equal quality. I'd Say Xbox>PS2>GameCube.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hard to beat Xbox's all-around lineup. Both quality and variety. Shinobi PS2 is the best game on the list overall tho.

Billy Hatcher sucks dick.

Vlaphor

In some ways, the XBox felt like Dreamcast 2 to me. JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star Online, Crazy Taxi 3, Outrun 2.

Codes 208

Gamecube got sonic adventure dx and 2:b, that along with billy Hatcher and Phantasy Star made it my go to for Sega games.

Until the 360 that is.

kunonabi

Probably a tie between GC and PS2. Beach Spikers is still the best volleyball game ever made.

The xbox had a killer lineup on paper but the actual execution was kind of ass.

SirTerry-T

X-box, it always felt like there was a lot of Sega's DNA in that system and their software support backed that up.
I'd have the GC in second place, and I wouldn't omit F_Zero GX from that list, I.P aside, that game was a Sega racer through and through.

the original xbox. it got the best sega games post DC. which fucked Sega in the ass even harder. what where they thinking? Microsoft clearly did not pay them enough. the games sold like crap and thats the reason a lot of them don't exist anymore.

DansDans

Missed a few

PS2
King of Route 66

Gamecube
Eighteen Wheeler

Also if you count Crazy Taxi 3 on Xbox, you could probably count Crazy Taxi 1 on PS2 and GCN

Dear God the amount of time I spent playing PSO on the Xbox. Sega could phone in a port of PSO to modern consoles, and make ALL the money.

Kazza

PS2 was decent but the quality drop for some of the series like Shinobi and Thunder Force is obvious.

CUOuJ7NW4AAxmU5.jpg:large

Hard to beat Xbox's all-around lineup. Both quality and variety. Shinobi PS2 is the best game on the list overall tho.

images

Kazza

The Outrun 2 games came out for PS2 as well. Monkey Ball 1 & 2 were eventually ported to both Xbox and PS2 as Monkey Ball Deluxe. Crazy Taxi was also ported to PS2 and Gamecube. Crazy Taxi 3 remained an Xbox exclusive, iirc. The two Otogi games were only on Xbox (although were actually developed by From Software). Shinobi (being the awesome game that it was) got a sequel the next year, Nightshade, which was also exclusive to PS2.

I think it was something of a myth that Sega treated the Xbox as Dreamcast 2. As you can see, all three platforms received good support.

Shinriji

PS2 > Xbox > Cube

VF4, Sakura Taisen, Initial D and Yakuza were lightyears ahead of everything else, also had those Sega Ages remakes. Xbox had more exclusives, but B-tier dreamcast games. Cube were the leftovers (and early Sonic Team games).

Last edited:
the original xbox. it got the best sega games post DC. which fucked Sega in the ass even harder. what where they thinking? Microsoft clearly did not pay them enough. the games sold like crap and thats the reason a lot of them don't exist anymore.

Uh, Shenmue 2 and Jet Set weren't going to sell much more on the PS2, heck half the PS2/GC games sold like shit to. In fact a lot of that list has many favorites across all 3 consoles but most of them have middling to bad review scores by critics.

Missed a few

PS2
King of Route 66

Gamecube
Eighteen Wheeler

Also if you count Crazy Taxi 3 on Xbox, you could probably count Crazy Taxi 1 on PS2 and GCN

This list is for single game exclusives to show how Sega exclusively supported each consoles, which also puts your bottom game out as it's a cross-platform game. However the first game you mentioned seems to be PS2 only.

The Outrun 2 games came out for PS2 as well. Monkey Ball 1 & 2 were eventually ported to both Xbox and PS2 as Monkey Ball Deluxe. Crazy Taxi was also ported to PS2 and Gamecube. Crazy Taxi 3 remained an Xbox exclusive, iirc. The two Otogi games were only on Xbox (although were actually developed by From Software). Shinobi (being the awesome game that it was) got a sequel the next year, Nightshade, which was also exclusive to PS2.

I think it was something of a myth that Sega treated the Xbox as Dreamcast 2. As you can see, all three platforms received good support.

"Eventually"

Also Shinobi is the series on the poll so that would include both games.

Also this thread focuses on single console line-ups.

Otogi isn't a Sega Ip.

OutRun 2 was not released on the PS2. Japan got a version of Outrun 2006 (though not exactly the same game) but that was a japan only game so wouldn't really apply to most users on this board.

Uh, Shenmue 2 and Jet Set weren't going to sell much more on the PS2, heck half the PS2/GC games sold like shit to. In fact a lot of that list has many favorites across all 3 consoles but most of them have middling to bad review scores by critics.

the ps2 had 7 times the playerbase of the og xbox. so i disagree

stranno

XBOX was supposed to be a Dreamcast 2 but in the end it only received a few decent games (aside 1 billion sport titles).

I'd say Playstation 2, the Sega AGES series alone is fantastic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom