• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console / accessory defects do you now admit to actually existing many years later (e.g. RROD deniers)

jigglet

Banned
You know what I'm talking about: RROD, YLOD, DS Lite crack etc etc.

All that shit that your pathetic inner fanboy refused to admit at the time was real because "I haven't experienced it myself so it must not be real".

Mine: The shitty N64 sticks that ground down over time and produced this dust that choked it to the point where they became all clogged up. I was such a Nintendo fanboy I refused to admit it was an issue. Looking back now, what a piece of trash those sticks were lol.

Spill it scumbags. Tell me how much your fanboysim has blinded you before.

(and this doesn't include Joycon drift, PS5 coil whine etc that are very much real but too recent for deluded fanboys to be able to look back at in hindsight)

Last edited:

skit_data

I realized my PS1 (One of the earlier models, that had text instead of symbols on all the consoles buttons and a controller without analog sticks or rumble) was pretty much of the shitty model. I’m pretty certain it was the SCPH-1002 one.

I was convinced it was the discs themselves back then but I just recently found out that apparently those were prone to laser reader failure.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I realized my PS1 (One of the earlier models, that had text instead of symbols on all buttons and a controller without analog sticks or rumble) was pretty much of the shitty model.

I was convinced it was the discs themselves back then but I just recently found out that apparently those were prone to laser reader failure.

My god the number of PS1 issues I had lol

I remember the old flipping the console upside down trick.

I was an N64 fanboy so I saw it as a defect. But I was blind to all the N64 issues. Fanboyism...

I realized my PS1 (One of the earlier models, that had text instead of symbols on all buttons and a controller without analog sticks or rumble) was pretty much of the shitty model. I’m pretty certain it was the SCPH-1002 one.

I've never seen a PS controller without the symbols before. I've tried googling it but can't find it. Anyway you can link it.

skit_data

I was an N64 fanboy so I saw it as a defect. But I was blind to all the N64 issues. Fanboyism...
I never knew that trick, and I was very careful with all my tech stuff (except PCs) despite a relatively young age (realized at 6 years of age that ”this shit is delicate”). I don’t think i would’ve dared flip it over.

I never experienced any issues with my N64 or Gamecube or PS3 from what I can remember.

I never had one single issue with any one of my consoles really... PCs on the other hand I treated like crap. I once disassembled my PC and put the CPU back upside down on the mother board. Crazy to think it even booted to BIOS.

I then disassembled it again, and put it back together without thermal paste or anything and then went on to be surprised when it literally shut down (probably down to the CPU overheating).

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I never knew that trick, and I was very careful with all my tech stuff despite a relatively young age (realized at 6 years of age that ”this shit is delicate”). I don’t think i would’ve dared flip it over.

Yeah so it was about pushing the laser out, so flipping it upside down did the trick. Crazy times.

nkarafo

I was convinced that RROD was affecting people who don't really take care of their consoles.

I do take care of my shit but i was extra careful about the XBOX360, to prove myself that point.

I had it in it's own, special area, with plenty of breathing air and chill room temps. I only had it stand horizontally and put extra pads on the corners so more air can pass underneath. I only used the DVD drive for installing games and played them through the HDD to further reduce temperatures inside the console. I was also leaving it idle on the UI for a couple of minutes before i played a game, to smooth out the rise in temperature on the chips.

I still got a RROD just after the warranty ended.

ManaByte

Gold Member

It was an overheating issue where the drive ribbon for the CD ROM would become warped. Sony fixed it with the first revision that rotated around the CD ROM drive:
featured_preview_PS1_Tray_Button_Tool_1.jpg

sony-playstation-scph-7502-ps1-pal-02-open.JPG

skit_data

I've never seen a PS controller without the symbols before. I've tried googling it but can't find it. Anyway you can link it.
Ah sorry, I expressed myself very strange. It had symbols on the face buttons of the controller but not on the console itself:

YIbaVB0.png

kyussman

There were RROD deniers?
I remember Youtube having so many videos of it back in the day,hard to imagine why anyone would deny it....also,didn't it end up costing Microsoft a lot of money.

jigglet

Banned
People denied RROD? That's like denying the existence of COVID.

Yes. Plenty of people talked shit on others for not taking care of their 360's.

Sure it's like saying COVID doesn't exist, but the opposite is to assume fanboys in general don't exist...you see where that leads you...

Dream-Knife

Banned
Mine: The shitty N64 sticks that ground down over time and produced this dust that choked it to the point where they became all clogged up. I was such a Nintendo fanboy I refused to admit it was an issue. Looking back now, what a piece of trash those sticks were lol.
The n64 stick is actually the best stick ever made for accuracy. That being said the bowl should be regularly lubricated. Amazingly my childhood ones made it through without much wear.

PS2 DRE was it for me.

Babied my launch PS2 after I heard a classmate go through the same issue. Was convinced it was because he ran it vertical and was being rough with the console.

Made sure to place discs centered as possible on the tray and kept it horizontal to prove it was user error.

It still ended up happening 😂

I realized my PS1 (One of the earlier models, that had text instead of symbols on all the consoles buttons and a controller without analog sticks or rumble) was pretty much of the shitty model. I’m pretty certain it was the SCPH-1002 one.

I had to turn my PS1 upside down to work. I never denied it though.

assurdum

Banned
YLOD on PS3. Not the same short life of the RROD but it's definitely the same level of shitness though required an year or two to appear compared the 6 months of x360.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I had to take my ps2 apart and clean the laser but it did work again after that. 360 had rrod. Ps3 had the ylod. I can't remember any others breaking but my snes hated every game I owned.

skit_data

I never heard of it until I started looking on teardowns after trying to clean my PS3. Might be because I live in ”up north” and it seems more common among PS3s in warmer climates. My cousin has the 60GB PS1/PS2 BC model and it’s (miraculously) still working fine despite everyday use (asked him last month, because I was wondering if he wanted me to take it apart and clean it).

The RROD I had heard of, despite Xbox being a smaller brand in Sweden. My friend had to replace 2 of his 360’s.

Not trying to downplay YLOD, it seems to brick way to many consoles to deem acceptable but I’m pretty sure RROD was more common among 360 players than YLOD among PS3 players

assurdum

Banned
I never heard of it until I started looking on teardowns after trying to clean my PS3. Might be because I live in ”up north” and it seems more common among PS3s in warmer climates. My cousin has the 60GB PS1/PS2 BC model and it’s (miraculously) still working fine despite everyday use (asked him last month, because I was wondering if he wanted me to take it apart and clean it).

The RROD I had heard of, despite Xbox being a smaller brand in Sweden. My friend had to replace 2 of his 360’s.

Not trying to downplay YLOD, it seems to brick way to many consoles to deem acceptable but I’m pretty sure RROD was more common among 360 players than YLOD among PS3 players
It's not to the same level of the RROD but it was definitely present on PS3 fat.

Last edited:

Bluntman

I was convinced that RROD was affecting people who don't really take care of their consoles.

I do take care of my shit but i was extra careful about the XBOX360, to prove myself that point.

I had it in it's own, special area, with plenty of breathing air and chill room temps. I only had it stand horizontally and put extra pads on the corners so more air can pass underneath. I only used the DVD drive for installing games and played them through the HDD to further reduce temperatures inside the console. I was also leaving it idle on the UI for a couple of minutes before i played a game, to smooth out the rise in temperature on the chips.

Didn't went as far as you but I did keep it horizontal, left it plenty of space, and let it idle on the dashboard after exiting a game, to let it cool.

First white Xbox 360, and the Xbox 360 Halo Edition still wen't RROD.

Also you couldn't install games on the HDD at this time if I remember correctly.

Got the black Xbox 360 Elite model after, which had the die shrink chips and revised cooling, still working fine to this day.

skit_data

Um, what?
Check Manabytes pics, the power, reset and eject buttons had symbols representing their functions on the later models.

The older models simply had ”POWER”, ”RESET” and ”OPEN” in plain text.

Edit: Actually they kept the ”RESET” one apparently

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
The biggest issues I ever had are the N64 controller analogue stitch and the RROD on the XBOX 360 (well technically because after the first RROD it played again, after that I traded it with an iPod touch) 😅.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this counts but internal battery degradation in wireless controllers. My PS3 controllers don't last as long as my PS4 controllers which don't last as long as a brand new controller anymore.

GuinGuin

Banned
None of my consoles have ever died on me. Probably because I don't let them sit on the carpet while smoking in a house full of cats like most of you people must be doing. 😂🤭😂🤭😂

skit_data

It's not to the same level of the RROD but it was definitely present on PS3 fat.
The worst part about YLOD seems to be that it’s almost impossible to know exactly what is wrong. It could be an indication on several completely different types of hardware failure.

I saw Spawnwave do a video on it quite recently, pretty interesting stuff:

Check Manabytes pics, the power, reset and eject buttons had symbols representing their functions on the later models.

The older models simply had ”POWER”, ”RESET” and ”OPEN” in plain text.

Edit: Actually they kept the ”RESET” one apparently

Oh, I thought you were talking about the controller having letters instead of symbols on the buttons.

skit_data

Oh, I thought you were talking about the controller having letters instead of symbols on the buttons.
Yeah, sorry, I saw someone else misinterpreted the same sentence as well. All I have as an excuse is that I’ve had a few beers and english is not my native tongue🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member

You got an RROD after the 3 year warranty? Man talk about bad luck. I remember Microsoft extended the warranty for 3 years due to RROD.

I took good care of mine too. Still got RROD, sent it in for repair. I held off on buying a new 360 until the later console revisions came out that fixed the RROD issue.

teezzy

Banned
I think the worst ones are the ones where he looks concerned/sad.

He really shouldn’t have a pic of himself in the thumbnail. For some reason it annoys the f outta me.

I've never watched his stuff, but a few people on the Discords I frequent are fans. The thumbnails keep me away, likely for the better

He looks smelly and contrived

Top Bottom