• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which company makes the best laptops?

I want to say MacBook Pro, however this has been surpassed now. The brand new Dell 7400 2in1 is literally the single best laptop I've ever used, and best build quality I've ever touched. Its better than my wife's MBP.

Would you guys recommend this laptop? It seems pretty nice. I like that it has a 4K display.

Or maybe this:

I really wanted a 2 in 1, but this is a nice laptop in my price range.

Last edited:
I have a question too. Does it really matter if you have a discreet graphics card if you don't plan on gaming? Will a regular graphics set-up on a FHD screen still look high quality?

Is it 2004 again? Macbooks haven't had good build quality for a decade or longer. They have been notorious for overheating and throttling for years, and now Apple can't even make a laptop which doesn't have a self-destructing keyboard these days. Also current Macbooks have the RAM and SSD both soldered onto the motherboard, you literally cannot upgrade a Macbook. It's like owning an iPhone, if you need to upgrade, you do so by throwing the old Macbook away and buying a new one. No thanks.

I am still rocking my 2009 MacBook Pro, which was by far the best hardware back then.
But I wouldn't touch one of the newer Macbooks with a tentpole.

Guess I will go for one of those Xiao Mi Macbook clones when the time comes.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

I found this on Slickdeals. What do you guys think? Should I go with this?

I've also had my eye on this:

Of those 2, I would take the 2 in 1. The gaming laptop is going to be big and heavy, I would guess, with a screen quality that is probably not very good image wise. They are made for a high refresh rate. That may not be a problem for you, but my advice would be to look at that model or a similar one in person in a store before pulling the trigger.

I don’t much care for 2 in 1s either, but that would still be my pick of the two.

janicetr

Neo Member
I am using a lower-middle tier 15' ACER Nitro5 with a Ryzen CPU and I am very satisfied. Slim, good keyboard, good battery life, flicker-free IPS display, 2 SSDs, 16Gb RAM and an RX560X for some light gaming.

Okay, guys. I have narrowed it down to 4 options: The 12.9 inch iPad Pro with a Brydge Keyboard, a 2019 MacBook Air, a 2019 MacBook Pro, or this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXL8YCX/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would probably have to save a bit more to get any of them besides the Acer Spin 3, which I can get immediately or the iPad Pro, which I could get, but the Brydge keyboard would come a week or two later. I really don't know what to go with. I am leaning towards the Acer Spin 3 because I tested an 11 inch Acer at a local Walmart and the screen quality was good, so I think I would be happy with the 14 inch screen on the Spin 3.

What do you guys think? I have zero interest in playing games on my laptop. I'll mostly be writing a lot, making graphics in Corel Paint Shop Pro, listening to music, watching movies/shows, and general browsing.

Last edited:
So, what do you guys think? I am thinking either the Acer Spin 3 or the iPad Pro. I'm just worried the Acer won't be up to par, but I kinda want it. Lol.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
My MacBook Pro late 2011 died recently and I jumped to the windows side and got a Huawei MateBook. I regret it. Windows crashes way more than my Mac did and the build quality isn't as good. I'll stick through this, but I wish I got a MacBook, even if it was going to be more expensive.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Get the Acer, way more features, more software compatibility, better performance, touchscreen/stylus. It will be up to par, Macs are slow, and so are the iPads.

Greedings

I’m also in the market for a new laptop. I loved my 2015 MacBook Pro but the keyboard died and the screen is cracked from heavy use and a lot of travelling for almost 5 years now. The price to fix it is the same as a new laptop which really killed it for me.

I’m tempted to switch to a windows machine. Do these 2-in-1 machines also cost insane amounts to repair?

Apple for sure. But considering price to quality ratio there are also some models of ASUS, Lenovo laptops. I would also recommend Xiaomi Notebook Pro as the best looking middle priced laptop

Top Bottom