• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which are you most excited for: The Elder Scrolls VI or Avowed?

hype?

• Total voters

Bankai

Avowed seems promising for sure, but Bethesda gave me some of my very best gaming experiences:
- Oblivion (360)
- Fallout 3 (360)
- Fallout 4 (PC & PS4)
- Skyrim (360 & PC)
- Skyrim VR (PSVR)

Gotta give the edge to Elder Scrolls.. although I fear the worst.

brian0057

Banned
Neither.
Baldur's Gate III. Since it's been made by Larian, I'm highly interested in it.
Divinity is so good. it's the type of masterful fantasy RPG Bethesda no longer makes and Obsidian wishes it could make.

soulbait

Not enough information on either of them to be excited for them. I like those style of games, so I hope both are good and I will enjoy them both. However, CGI trailers that do not show anything about the game, just that a game is being made, does not really get me going. They just make me look forward to more information in the future.

Hudo

None until I see real gameplay from them
This.

I know I was hyped as fuck for Outer Worlds because Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain (Fallout 1 and 2! Arcanum!) were the leading dudes behind the project and it was disappointingly mediocre. I dropped the game and never returned to it. But Obsidian also did some good work (Star Wars: KotoR II, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: NV). So I am still interested but cautious.

Same can be said for Bethesda. But doing CGI or "in-engine" trailers is cheap. Show me gameplay.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Skyrim cause mods.

Bethesda might be incompetent but they are one of the few companies that still make games that are actually modable. And I fucking love mods.

The one with more money to play around so Bethesda.

It’s fascinating, that company. One of the most memorable gaming experiences I ever had was with Oblivion and Fallout 3/NW. Opposite can be said about Skyrim and Fallout 4.

I still believe in them, they are masters of world exploration, never fail there.

Vawn

Banned
Neither??

One is proably gonna be another glorified early access with shitty combat, shitty story, ancient engine and a crapload of bugs and glitch that it's gonna score 90+ from supposed journalists.

And the other is basically vaporware for now.

I honestly don't know which is which in your scenario.

My excitement so far is about a 3/10 for both of them. I REALLY don't like combat in these games. I just hope they get to be actually fun.

In general probably Elder Scrolls because all I've seen from Avowed so far is very moody. I like my games to also have a bright side.

I've always been a big fan of the Elder Scrolls games so my vote goes to Elder Scrolls 6. Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time and I think I put over 250 hours into Skyrim. That being said, I plan to buy a XSX next gen and I will definitely have Gamepass so I'm going to download Avowed day one. Hopefully Obsidian knocks it outta the park.

etp_1

I rather wait and play another Elder Scrolls at some point, since TES:Morrowind and TES:Oblivion are great RPGs i enjoyed very much and for me Fallout New Vegas was/is overrated as hell and the Outer Worlds is dull...so easy choise.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gaming is better off with new IP's but traditional game of the year worthy games like Elder Scrolls is exciting, they had their glory years on last gen, I think it'll be great.

After playing through Outer Worlds I'm choosing Bethesda. Hopefully Microsoft's money will help Obsidian to achieve a game as good as Elder Scrolls.

Starfield

As a diehard Bethesda fan I'd say lets wait how Starfield looks like first. Right now its up in the clouds where BGS's quality standards are right now. I really hope 76 was just a big giant fuck up and that Starfield will be going back on track.

I recently began replaying Fallout 4 again and the quality difference between 76 and 4 is VERY noticable.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Intend on getting both on their release dates
Which one are you most excited to play on release date?
You can be excited for both. But which excites you most at this particular moment in time? Surely the thought of one of them makes you a little more giddy than the other.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not really sure on either yet, but leaning towards TES6 because Bethesda at least has open world down, despite my full expectation of bugs. The Outer Worlds had good writing, but a terrible skill system, terrible loot, and bland areas to explore.

killatopak

To be honest, I preferred Obsidian’s story telling in FONV but I actually really love ES lore.

Basically, I don’t know how Obsidians take on a Fantasy setting in an open world will be like while I love Bethesda’s take on fantasy.

Opposite preference on the post apocalyptic/dystopian theme. I prefer Obsidian on Fallout.

Based on that, I am more excited for ES6.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
To be honest, I preferred Obsidian’s story telling in FONV but I actually really love ES lore.

Basically, I don’t know how Obsidians take on a Fantasy setting in an open world will be like while I love Bethesda’s take on fantasy.

Opposite preference on the post apocalyptic/dystopian theme. I prefer Obsidian on Fallout.

Based on that, I am more excited for ES6.
I actually just started Pillars of Eternity a bit over a week ago, so I'll see how this drives up my hype for Avowed. But really, its world and lore isn't something I'm big on yet. What excites me most about Avowed is just the opportunity for another immersive first-person RPG. Like a game to keep me occupied between Elder Scrolls releases.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm excited for both. I still love BGS WRPGs bugs and all, but Liked Skyrim the least of all their RPGs and after Fallout 76 I have some reservations about Bethesda games.

Avowed OTOH takes place in he PoE universe. I played PoE for the 1st time this year and really loved it. I'm pretty sure the graphics in Avowed will look much better than any Bethesda game, but Obsidian isn't known for bug-free games either. It's very close but I give a slight edge to Avowed.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Elder Scrolls, because I'm a fanboy. I don't care if it's just Skyrim with a new story, I'm in. My bar is admittedly low.

Not that I'm not excited about Avowed, but all TES has to do is NOT take a step back from Skyrim to keep my happy. But seeing the dumbing down from Morrow to Obliv to Skyrim I have my doubts...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why would I be excited for either when we know literally nothing about both outside of one being in the PIllars of Eternity universe and the other Elder Scrolls?

I am more excited to see what these games *actually look like*. Though sadly we are probably 2-3 years off from both.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Right now i have to go with The Elder Scrolls. I know enough about the series to know I will like it despite any shortcomings.

Avowed looks great but so far I don't know much about it only Obsidian is developing which is a plus but I really need to see and know more about the game before my vote swings to Avowed.

Sacred

Bethesda has dropped the ball so much lately and have been incredibly anti-consumer, as well as underdelivering and overpromising.

Obsidian will take the reign as the FPS fantasy western RPG kings, they have been incredibly consistent with their releases and a minimal budget. Now with MS backing they can turn into a powerhouse developer.

TexMex

Avowed because I find Skyrim painfully boring.

It may be just as bad, but I don't see Bethesda venturing too far away from the formula. So I'll take a chance on the unknown entity versus the one I know and hate.

-Arcadia-

Banned
From everything I understand, Bethesda games after Skyrim and Fallout 3 have really been missing the mark. I don't have confidence for them to bring new, impressive technology, or even stay true to the things that granted them such megahits in the first place.

Outer Worlds seemingly wasn't... great, but I feel like I have a lot more confidence in an MS-backed Obsidian to do the next Skyrim, than I do Bethesda themselves.

They can feel free to delightfully prove me wrong.

Everyone knows what TES6 is going to be like. It'll be a prettier, more streamlined clone of Skyrim in a somewhat different setting with 3 more voice actors and a boring main questline. Hard to get excited for that.

Arachnid

Avowed. I'm sure it'll have better writing. Skyrims writing was abysmal, as was Fallout 4's. The Outer Worlds wasn't great either, but Pillars and Fallout NV are. If Avowed is also modable and has a bigger world than Skyrim like the leaks suggest? I'd go with that. Elder Scrolls 6 will be great in a few years when its modded to hell. Also, ES6 using the same damn engine they've been using forever now will be lame.

iHaunter

Need to see gameplay. But I don't trust Bethesda so Avowed. I liked the casting animation although, it was CGi.

Top Bottom