• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which are the top trilogies you played in video games?

geary

The title says it all. Making just one good game is hard enough. Now imagine crafting a trilogy over a number of years. When a franchise's three connecting entries manage to all be hits, it is as if the planets aligned...Here are some of the ones on the top of my mind.
1. The Witcher
2. Assassins Creed (Ezio trilogy)
3. Metro
4. Batman: Arkham
5. Mass Effect
6. Dragon Age
7. Dark Souls
8. Max Payne

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident Evil, took me years to complete to scary as a kid.

Hitman 2016-2021 right now, good luck finding a better pure stealth series.

Fear 1-3 basic horror fps yet rich in scares. The ai and guns are out of control.

Tomb Raider 2013-2018 great franchise.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Spyro, Crash, Ratchet, Jak. Yeah, they made other games, but y'all know what I mean.

The GTA PS2 trilogy is pretty fucking hard to beat as well.

WoW Vanilla, TBC, WOTLK. ~6 years of gaming that can never be replicated.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
1. Sonic 1, 2, 3
2. Tex Murphy (UAKM, PD, Overseer)
3. Wario Land 2, 3, 4 (yes this should count, they're different than the first).

In terms of an actual trilogy, Ace Attorney 1-3 is perfect. A lot of other trilogies fall apart in the home stretch (Metroid Prime, Mass Effect) or aren't really trilogies IMO (i.e. are just installments with minimal overarching narrative, like a lot of platformers).

1) Metroid Prime
2) Dark Souls
3) Bioshock
4) Mass Effect

Mass Effect would be higher if the ending of 3 wasn’t so bad. I’m probably forgetting some other games but those come to mind first in terms of real trilogies that didn’t get a million sequels and were mostly contained to just the 3 games.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Maybe Gears of war, the series died after 3 for me, so maybe that counts?
Definetely counts. 4 and 5 are so shallow and empty.

1) Witcher trilogy. I enjoyed every one of them greatly. Never had problems with the flaws of the first and second. The lore, the story, characters, and overall monster hunting always made me enjoy these games to great extents. And 3rd one was cherry on top. Witcher 3 is a game that one can hardly forget

2) God of War PS2-PS3 trilogy. I leave reboot out of it, since it focuses on a different kind of storytelling. I've yet to play Ascension and some other extra games they've released but look forward to them. Just gotta have the damn time! In the end, an important aspect of Kratos' story ended with the 3 so i would say that it can be count as a trilogy of its own since even Santa Monica rebranded their game directly as God of War.

3) AC Desmond trilogy. It told 3 wholly unique characters in Altair, Ezio and Connor. Connor got flak in the first years but latately I see he's seeing the appreciation he deserves. He was a well written character. Revelations and Brotherhood was long games, but served as a continuation of the 2nd game so...

4) Gears Xbox 360 era trilogy. 4 and 5 are so shallow and lifeless that I don't even want to remember them as Gears games. They lack substance, brutality

Last edited:
There are none.
EISVWEB.jpg

Not even SMB? Dude.....

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The title says it all. Making just one good game is hard enough. Now imagine crafting a trilogy over a number of years. When a franchise's three connecting entries manage to all be hits, it is as if the planets aligned...Here are some of the ones on the top of my mind.
1. The Witcher
2. Assassins Creed (Ezio trilogy)
3. Metro
4. Batman: Arkham
5. Mass Effect
6. Dragon Age
7. Dark Souls
8. Max Payne
These, minus Dragon Age. Not that's it's bad, I just haven't played them all.

I would add
Halo
Splinter Cell
Ninja Gaiden
Metal Gear Solid
Super Mario

Great Hair

Banned
  • Metal Gear Solid (better than any other trilogy, cuz it´s a tetralogy, fakfaif!)
  • Resident Evil
  • Silent Hill
  • Mass Effect
  • Max Payne
  • Front Mission
  • Gran Turismo
  • Ridge Racer
  • GTA3, GTAVC, GTASA

Verchod

Can only think of Splinter cell. I would say Halo series but I think Halo 2 is poor, though there are 3 Halo games I enjoy just not in order.

Havoc2049

The original Halo trilogy
The Ultima Age of Enlightment trilogy (Ultima IV, V and VI)
Phantasie trilogy
The Lawrence Holland air combat simulation trilogies:
-Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour, Secret Weapons of the Lufwaffe
-X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing VS Tie Fighter

Aion002

Dark Souls, MGS (1/ 2/4 with Solid and 3/PW/5 with Big Boss), Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed 2 (2, Brotherhood and Revelations), COD Mordern Warfare, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles and Age of Empires.

Reactions: Gp1

kunonabi

Silent Hill 1-3( The Team Silent entries that actually matter)
Resident Evil 1-3( pretty much its own beast compared to just about everything else that came after)
Castlevania 1-3
Darkstalkers 1-3
Metal Gear Solid 3, PW and the TPP
Shining Force 1-3
Metroid 1-3

The Arkham trilogy is a dream come true for someone who grew up watching Batman TAS. Aside from Knight's overreliance on the Batmobile, it's damn near perfection.
YES.

The Batman Arkham series is almost perfect for my video game tastes, and being a huge Batman fan in general. I've enjoyed them all -- yes, even Knight, where the Batmobile drags the overall experience down.

nkarafo

The classic Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic trilogy is amazing to me. Mostly because it started strong and got better at the end.

Though i'm cheating a bit here and count Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one game. Which was the original plan anyway.

Dream-Knife

Banned
As someone said above, if GTA3, VC, and SA are considered a trilogy, then this right here. Groundbreaking games.

Console F-Zero games? All three were fantastic (the GBA games were pretty bad).

Everything else that I can think of is flawed. DKC3? Which Mario 2? Everyone complains about DS2.

Top Bottom