• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which are the most insufferable fans?

Which are the most insufferable fans?

• "Souls" games fans

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • Silent Hill fans

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Metal Gear fans

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Undertale fans

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Hollow Knight fans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario fans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TLOU fans

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • Zelda fans

Votes: 26 16.3%
  • Pokemon fans

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • GTA fans

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 25 15.6%
  • Sonic fans

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Final Fantasy fans

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
JRPG fans are the worst.

- total persecution complex left over from the early 90s, they think there’s still some war against JRPGs/anime in the west and JRPGs are being denied the prestige and acclaim they deserve

- have this idiotic idea that WRPGs and JRPGs are the only two genres in existence, and respond to any critique of JRPG genre by lobbing an attack at WRPGs (whataboutism)

- generally very catty and pedantic/gate keeping attitude

- “yeah this game kind of sucks but you should still buy it to encourage more JRPGs getting localized, otherwise you have no right to complain”

- will accuse you of cultural ignorance instead of admitting their weeb shit is cringe

- you have the “turn based = more strategic” folks, despite turn-based JRPGs generally being some of the most mindlessly + repetitive games ever created

- you have the “anything but Final Fantasy” crowd who think FF gets underserved praise and will do anything to take it down a peg

- those same folks swear up and down that a new turn-based AAA FF game would be the second coming of Christ, despite virulently expressing total lack of confidence in Square Enix

Last edited:

manfestival

I think it really depends on the forum many times. This place has an abundance of souls fans that spam everything with MUH BLOODBORNE/ELDEN RING currently.

Other fan bases that have been consistently as bad are the fortnite, dota 2, league of legends, and valorant crowd. Now I am sure there is a hater for every game in existence. Though those are some of the more timeless/classics for having fanbases that just never stop being "insufferable." Stuff like Zelda/Sonic really depend on waves of popularity that are drummed up by the IP. Though Zelda fans are almost in the same sphere as the moba fans.

Markio128

I don't even know what that is
You’ve never heard of the biggest game-changer?
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Astral Dog

Each big fanbase has their nasty side, but PlayStation and Capcom/Resident Evil fans are at the top from experience

Edit:hyping up their game is not the problem, its the constant shitting on others (and in Capcom case even themselves)

Last edited:

iorek21

Assassin's Creed fans (and I include myself into this):

- The current title is always shit
- When another one releases, the previous one turns into a classic
- Extremely nostalgic
- Even Unity is now somehow a good example of classic AC
- Never happy with anything
- "Muh gud gaim but bad AC"

Last edited:

Banned
and yet nintendo's game design either ends up being gimmicky and uninituitive as a way to make the game fit in with whatever gimmick miyamoto feels like shoehorning, or is overly generic and outclassed by other games in its same class.

this take can inly be made by people who like the generic casual shit that sony shits out

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
other

• people that get a hate boner for whatever reason, reaching a point it becomes artificial.
  • people whose ego needs to be stroked repeatedly, so much, they need confirmation for their takes and opinions.
  • people that think because you like a popular game and are a fan of a popular franchise you can't legitimately critique said game or said franchise.
  • people who think referring to Metacritic is legit criticism.
  • people that fight change with a torch and pitchfork just for the sake of it.
  • people that hide behind 'critique' while they don't even know what constructive criticism looks like.
  • people that are console warriors despite being adults.
  • people that excessively look for the elephant in the room.
  • people that get mad and start generalizing when you like game XYZ.
  • people that willfully accept any form of corporate greed.
  • people that think "this is game is for kids" is legit criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
here's a hot one
Physical game fans
I get liking to have physical games and stuff but immediately shitting on everything that involves any sort of digital game is fucking useless. Also you guys remember the fucking CMOS thing with the PS4 and how it also made physical games unusable if the battery died? yeah. you don't even own those either. Physical games on Xbox are LMAO, and PC only has digital. you can only go to nintendo and i don't think "owning my games" is worth having to use the switch as my primary gaming device. stop running into every thread being like "i like to own my shit" because if you really cared about that shit you'd go on GOG or pirate.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Shenmue fans.

Constantly praising and sequel begging for the QTE filled, money burning piece of shit cinematic game that needed to sell more copies than consoles in existence, the game that kept Sega's premier lead developer tied up across 2 hardware generations while they were desperate for successful hits and money. The game that broke up and killed Sega after years of mismanagement, allowing them to be consumed by Sammy for their arcade real estate.

When Shenmue 3 finally came out, it was so horrible that the beggars finally shut the fuck up.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Sonic Fans.

No offensive Sonic fans, but I side eye any adult who rubs one out over Sonic the Hedgehog.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Shenmue fans.

Constantly praising and sequel begging for the QTE filled, money burning piece of shit cinematic game that needed to sell more copies than consoles in existence, the game that kept Sega's premier lead developer tied up across 2 hardware generations while they were desperate for successful hits and money. The game that broke up and killed Sega after years of mismanagement, allowing them to be consumed by Sammy for their arcade real estate.

When Shenmue 3 finally came out, it was so horrible that the beggars finally shut the fuck up.
you could have just said that the game is a worse yakuza and it would say more than that whole ass paragraph you typed

Pokemon fans are a different breed. It disturbs me that there are grown men complaining about Pokemon's lack of complexity or difficulty. Like, bro, this game is for five year olds, you know that, right? They have always been easy and straightforward games for children.

Grow up and play Shin Megami Tensei if you want an engaging monster training game.

PhaseJump

Banned
you could have just said that the game is a worse yakuza and it would say more than that whole ass paragraph you typed

Yeah, but that wouldn't convey the magnitude of how retarded and disgusting Shenmue fans are.

They literally spent more than a decade begging for Shenmue 3 in the comments of every post, or tweet that Sega officially put out, regardless of the game or contest being promoted.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I have to go with From Software fans. Super annoying with "git gud" which really means "learn to love tedious, repetitious gameplay".

Off topic - what's with all the Nintendo fans hate? maybe somehow I've missed it, but I don't see them console warring or hating on other platforms. They seem to mostly keep to themselves and not really bother anyone.

BlackTron

The correct answer is Sonic.

It's so bad that the mere fact that I love Sonic is grounds for deep personal self reflection for any deep rooted emotional issues. I makes me shudder to be associated in any way with...them.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
what's with all the Nintendo fans hate? maybe somehow I've missed it, but I don't see them console warring or hating on other platforms. They seem to mostly keep to themselves and not really bother anyone.
it's not that they console war, it's that as people they're insufferable soy guzzling redditors who are usually stuck being mentally 8 and consoom whatever trash nintendo craps out. Oh yeah, and they constantly want everything on switch. "port this to switch, when's switch port, will it come to switch, we need a switch port" like god shut the actual fuck up and just get another fucking console if you want these games so bad.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Reading through this thread, you need to add another option: People that don't like souls games.

Elden Ring is amazing. Get over it.
it's not that they console war, it's that as people they're insufferable soy guzzling redditors who are usually stuck being mentally 8 and consoom whatever trash nintendo craps out. Oh yeah, and they constantly want everything on switch. "port this to switch, when's switch port, will it come to switch, we need a switch port" like god shut the actual fuck up and just get another fucking console if you want these games so bad.
I thought that cooled down after 2020 or so?

Ristifer

Sonic Fans.

No offensive Sonic fans, but I side eye any adult who rubs one out over Sonic the Hedgehog.
Fight me.

Also, not gonna lie, I thought I read "TLOZ fans" and "Zelda fans" and thought there was some kind of major bias here.

Codes 208

Sonic fans ruined the concept of fanart for me. That shit i will never forgive and can never forget (no matter how much eye bleach i apply)
Pokemon fans are a different breed. It disturbs me that there are grown men complaining about Pokemon's lack of complexity or difficulty. Like, bro, this game is for five year olds, you know that, right? They have always been easy and straightforward games for children.

Grow up and play Shin Megami Tensei if you want an engaging monster training game.
Theres a stark difference between pokemon gens 1-4 where they give you a pokedex and essentially tell you to fuck off and do whatever you want versus the newer games that persistently hold your hand all the way to the half-way point of the game (sun/moon were very guilty of this)

You can make “kids” games that still offer a good challenge for those who want it.

Last edited:

Killer8

Silent Hill fans. A lot of them give off the same level of smugness as The Real Silent Hill Experience. I didn't used to see nearly as much hate for the non-Team Silent games as I do after that fucking series dropped on Youtube.

Sure, some valid complaints and criticism are given. The Silent Hill HD Collection was horribly mishandled (play the games on PC with the fan patches instead). There were a few cash grab stinkers like Book of Memories, and Downpour sucked a bit too. But Origins, Homecoming and definitely Shattered Memories are much better games than the fans make them out to be. No, of course they are not on the same level as 1-3 - but they are still pretty good games that keep within the spirit of SH. In Shattered Memories case, it also did some pretty damn unique things for psychological horror. Hell, i'd even say the movie is still one of the best videogame adaptations we've ever had because it did the atmosphere of the games a ton of justice. I'm excited that Christophe Gans is apparently making another one (along with a Fatal Frame movie).

I feel the fans also sometimes make out that Team Silent can do no wrong, when the wheels were already starting to come off in Silent Hill 4. But again, not a bad game, just not the masterpiece 1-3 was.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Reading through this thread, you need to add another option: People that don't like souls games.

Elden Ring is amazing. Get over it.

I thought that cooled down after 2020 or so?
I like Souls games.
I played all Souls game.
I'm a Souls fan.
The fanbase is insufferable, filled with gatekeeper elitists.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Metal Gear "fans".

Most have not played all the vr missions in MGS1/MGS2 or the MSX originals or tried out Ghost Babel or at least gotten Big Boss/Foxhound ranks in all the games. They play every main game in the series a couple times on Normal or Hard and think they're a fan. Its gross.

triple-h-disgusted.gif

This doesn't make sense, man.

I'm a MGS fan but play on normal difficulty and don't like playing on portable.

This sounds like the typical gatekeeping people do with music "if you haven't listened to this album you are not a fan".

I mean, do car fans need to be able to drive 200 KM/H or own a sportscar?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
This doesn't make sense, man.

I'm a MGS fan but play on normal difficulty and don't like playing on portable.

This sounds like the typical gatekeeping people do with music "if you haven't listened to this album you are not a fan".

I mean, do car fans need to be able to drive 200 KM/H or own a sportscar?

woosh?

Swift_Star

Banned
Metal Gear "fans".

Most have not played all the vr missions in MGS1/MGS2 or the MSX originals or tried out Ghost Babel or at least gotten Big Boss/Foxhound ranks in all the games. They play every main game in the series a couple times on Normal or Hard and think they're a fan. Its gross.

triple-h-disgusted.gif
This is sounding like some Britney Spears fan I've me in my life:
  • Do you know her birthday?
  • Do you know her sons names?
No? Then you're not a fan. lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Please add a vote for "Souls hatebase" because too many people are coping over elden ring and souls games in this thread.
Actually though, i can think of many worse fans than the fucking souls fanbase. it's not even like they go around invading the internet and making everything shit like jellybean stans do with their "its not a mistake its a masterpiece" BS.
also... they're fucking right dude. You picked up a video game known for its extreme difficulty, and then immediately go on the internet screaming about how it's too hard. What else are they supposed to tell you other than to get good?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom