• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the hell are all the futuristic racing games?

levyjl1988

Banned
I miss the good old days of games like Extreme G-Racing and F-Zero. The maps are wild, the backdrop is neon and unique, and these games usually have a techno music vibe. It was a different feeling.

For those that don't know, here is some gameplay of X-GIII Racing:

I love vibes that are neon-esque and futuristic.

It reminds me of moments like in Mass Effect 2.

and that race scene in Coruscant in Star Wars Attack of the Clones.

There hasn't been an F-Zero game since Gamecube.

and the only futuristic racing game recently is WipeOut VR.

Where the hell are all the futuristic racing games? You think with the success of CyberPunk 2077 due to that setting we would get more futuristic racing games. I want to see more settings bathed in neon, similar to the movie "Nerve" and have that Tron-esque vibe.

or something like Speed Racer.

More futuristic racing games please, I'm sick and tired of racing games that take place in modern times. I've seen these settings too many times that it doesn't feel unique. I want racing games where I can be like "Holy Shit".
It can be places that take part in either the Cyber Punk world, or in BladeRunner, or even in populated cities in Star Wars of Mass Effect. Just something.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Good question, ray-traced Wipeout would be sweet.

I also loved Extreme G 3 on the Gamecube, is there a place to get a hold of that game without emulation?

Our best hope is that Nintendo brings back F-Zero, I'm not sure if Sony is gonna pursue another Wipeout for a while.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Bring back roll cage. Game was unreal at the time but hasn’t aged well. It felt so amazing and fast at the time. What a class soundtrack as well.

Killer8

They are still around, just as indie games now. Redout, Fast RMX, Pacer (ex-Psygnosis devs), Antigraviator, to name a few. None of them really reach the quality bar set by the franchises they take inspiration from, though.

Aero GPX, probably the closest we'll get to a new F-Zero, had a Kickstarter last month:

Bring back roll cage. Game was unreal at the time but hasn’t aged well. It felt so amazing and fast at the time. What a class soundtrack as well.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Back To The Future GIF

RAIDEN1

Well didn't the Star Wars Pod racer recently got a re-release, so that's something....I wouldn't hold your breath on a new F-Zero....about as much chance of a new installment there as there is of Sega finally porting Daytona 2 to home-consoles...

yurinka

I want a brand new Wipeout:
  • Whole game PSVR2 compatible (not exclusive)
  • Meaty single player content and casual multiplayer, but also eSports friendly
  • Customizable ships allowing them to look like all the previous one but also new stuff
  • Designers Republic collaboration
  • All previous + a handful new game modes
  • Narrative cutscenes when completing certain parts of the story campaign with top tier movie quality scripts with popular actors (maybe filmed, not using CG for actors)
  • Extensive OST featuring ColdStorage (Tim Wright), Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method etc. with returning and new music tracks
  • New circuits and fully remade (don't need to be very similar, only remind them) returning ones
  • Post launch content with more circuits (until competing all the previous returning ones), music tracks, new ship teams, customizable parts, etc
Wipeout is shite.
Reported, added to ignore and casted a spell to crush you with a meteor :messenger_beaming:

Nothing will ever surpass FZero GX. It still puts 99% of todays games to shame.
Many Wipeout games. And even inside F-Zero, the original one and specially the one with the best OST, gameplay and difficulty balance: F-Zero X.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
Why should developers make them when no one is buying those type of games? also most of
them seem to have have high skill ceiling

They come out.
No one buys them.
Then the same people who dont buy them wonder why devs dont keep making them.
EXACTLY. So many times I read here how people are crying for a remake of this or a sequel of that. The game comes out and nobody buys it and then wonders 3 years later why there isn't a new game coming out and how devs don't make them anymore. Put your money where your mouth is, support with day one purchase, forget about reviews or PSN sales. Perfect example I can think of is Driveclub. Go to reddit, the whole thing is a crying circle jerk , because they paid for the game today and realized it is good and missing all the DLC. Well if you actually bought the game 7 years ago for $50 instead of getting it for $2 in a bargain bin, maybe there would of been a sequel.

Ivan

They come out.
No one buys them.
Then the same people who dont buy them wonder why devs dont keep making them.
Those budget releases just don't feel the same, unfortunately. We need big stuff again from top studios and technology.
They might look similar on screenshots, but whole experience is just far from the original.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More futuristic racing games please, I'm sick and tired of racing games that take place in modern times. I've seen these settings too many times that it doesn't feel unique. I want racing games where I can be like "Holy Shit".
It can be places that take part in either the Cyber Punk world, or in BladeRunner, or even in populated cities in Star Wars of Mass Effect. Just something.
Unfortunately, gamers tastes in sports and racing games turned to realism. Real players, cars, coach options, car parts etc... Not saying they are ultra realistic in gameplay, but the games can be arcade or sim (good enough to cover moderate tastes), and still have the aesthetics of pro leagues and authentic racing circuits.

Not sure exactly when it happened, but the days of crazy sports and racing games died off way back. You're best bet is an indie studio making one for cheap in hopes that fills the gap for $20. Full budget futuristic racers are long gone. Not just them though. Most racing series have died off or come out very infrequently now when 10 years ago there were shitloads of racing games and even batches of ATV and motocross games. The last Ridge Racer game to come out was 10 years ago (excluding an iOS game in 2016).

Racing fans seem all skewed to GT, Forza, Mario Kart and some PC racers.

The racing genre died so much even EA bailed on annual NFS games. Now they come out periodically every 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
These games don’t sell. Same reason why most devs aren’t taking chances with games anymore.

These games don't sell because developers aren't taking chances with the genre. They all look and play exactly the same for 98% of the general gaming population. The formula is stale. Progress or move on to greener pastures right?

I just started playing WipEout Omega Collection and while I'm enjoying it as a palette cleanser, it's still just a generic (polished) racing game.

These games need a new hook.

Top Bottom