• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Leo Messi going?

Well?

• Stay at Barca with a new contract

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Man City

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • PSG

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Juventus

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Real Madrid

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Bayern Munich

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Liverpool

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other...

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Tschumi

Lionel Messi just became a free agent, his latest/last contract having just expired.

I personally can understand this, his club is pretty indistinguishable from that which it was when he was at La Masia. But that's just my take.

Anyway, the question is this: Where do you think Messi is gonna go next? How would you feel about that? How do you think he'll affect any new league he moves into?

Update: apparently FFP rules are delaying things with Barca. Sigh, a shame if that's the only sticking point, looks like he's given up on progress with barca

Last edited:

DKehoe

Staying at Barcelona seems the most likely outcome. I feel like if he was going anywhere else we would have started to hear about it. There was a point a while back where the Man City talk sounded legit but there's been nothing credible about that for a long time and City are now being linked with Kane and Grealish with no mention of Messi.

Tschumi

Staying at Barcelona seems the most likely outcome. I feel like if he was going anywhere else we would have started to hear about it. There was a point a while back where the Man City talk sounded legit but there's been nothing credible about that for a long time and City are now being linked with Kane and Grealish with no mention of Messi.
I selected Juve because that's been Europe's premier retirement home for like 15 years now :p I really hope that him staying at Barca is at least contingent on them changing their approach and going back to the La Masia based approach, with less emphasis on big signings.

DKehoe

I selected Juve because that's been Europe's premier retirement home for like 15 years now :p I really hope that him staying at Barca is at least contingent on them changing their approach and going back to the La Masia based approach, with less emphasis on big signings.
The talk I heard was Juventus need to clear some money off the books and that's one of the reasons Ronaldo is being linked elsewhere. If they need to do that they aren't bringing in Messi on a similar contract to whatever Ronaldo is on.

I'll be shocked if it's anywhere but Barcelona. This is probably just a petty way of extracting more leverage and money in his contract talks.

Would be interested to see him in the Premier League though.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Depends. Does Messi want to challenge himself in a new league? If so, then I could see him going to Man City, but TBH, I think he'll stay at Barca.

*Nightwing

The longshot
yl4IpQb.png

Great Hair

Banned
Stay at Barcelona:
- get paid less
- enjoy the beaches
- enjoy the Mediterranean food, wine
- enjoy the better climate
- no need to re-learn a new language
- family is accommodated

Move to ManCity:
- get paid more
- no beaches
- only fish&chips
- terrible climate, always raining
- need to learn English
- family hates him

748140.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Messi is looking old and slow, in today’s sports world it’s impossible for a star to stay in one location.

cormack12

Gold Member
I thought they agreed an extension? I honestly think he'd upset the balance at a lot of the clubs - maybe PSG makes most sense, but I think something like United would make more sense for him.

Tschumi

I thought they agreed an extension? I honestly think he'd upset the balance at a lot of the clubs - maybe PSG makes most sense, but I think something like United would make more sense for him.
He should go to Liverpool,klopp would make him the best left back in the world AND boost his goals and assists lol

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I think only PSG and Man City would be able to afford his insane wages.

If Messi really wants to leave, then he should go to a league that's going to challenge him. The PL would be the best for that option. Would Messi be able to do it on a freezing November night at St James Park?

cormack12

Gold Member
I think only PSG and Man City would be able to afford his insane wages.

If Messi really wants to leave, then he should go to a league that's going to challenge him. The PL would be the best for that option. Would Messi be able to do it on a freezing November night at St James Park?

For me it depends on how Messi wants to be remembered. As a one club man who went to a team winning things or did he go back to a sleeping giant to put them back on the top?

If he just wants a pay day then city or psg could work. He'd be an upgrade on sterling obviously. I don't think he will stay in Spain, somewhere like United, Dortmund would make me believe he wanted to really test himself and see if can really be what Maradona was to Napoli for instance.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What happened?

Big Drama.

He negotiated a new contract with a different team, but turns out he was still under contract with Barcelona because the clause doesn’t mention an specific date but the end of the league and due to COVID the league had suffered delays. He then tried to weasel out of his contract obligations.

Essentially the message the fans got: he’s a cold blooded mercenary, he doesn’t give a shit about the club that raised him as a footballer nor its fans to leave properly and instead acted in bad faith.

Retirement home?

For who?

MrS

Banned
Ain't staying at Uefalona cause the deal would have been done by now. Citeh-bound imo.

Alebrije

El Chiringuito always seems so mad. Makes me wish I could understand it.

There is a lot of trash tv around the world but el Chiringuito is placed among the most sensationalism shows...but well a lot of people follows that kind of shows. Is more a parody /comic than an sports show.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
After his stunt last year the team fan’s opinion of him has changed enough that nobody would mourn him.
His stunt last year was the only way to kick out the cancer that was our last president. As a fan since 1992 or so, I am glad he did that.

Tschumi

Im Back Season 7 GIF by Friends

Lionel Messi has announced he's leaving Barca and this OP doesn't seem quite so unlikely anymore!

Retirement home?

For who?
whoa, missed this gem, what do you mean retirement home for who?

Do you seriously need to outline the amount of players who came there/played there late in their careers and made hay? Pirlo? Ronaldo?

...shit, just realised how much i miss Camoranesi :'(

Last edited:
Top Bottom